• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

So I want to switch my PC over to Arch (as my main OS at least), and I was just wondering how I would go about doing so with the least amount of head smashing and keep most of the features of windows, so can anybody help me out?

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#2 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

> Arch
> least amount of head smashing
> keep most of the features of windows

> Arch

HAAAAhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Good luck!
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#3 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

> Arch

> Arch

Good luck!

so is it possible or am I just gonna get laughed at? i'm fine either way :P

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:39 AM

Good luck!

PS - Ubuntu 16.04 based Linux does not ship with AMD catalyst drivers

Cortana at your service

#5 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:40 AM

> Arch

> Arch

Good luck!

so is it possible or am I just gonna get laughed at? i'm fine either way :P

Head smashing will occur.

First question i would have is why... why Linux, why Arch?

I've been running various Linux systems for a number of years now and use SUSE as my main workstation.

I use SUSE because its easy to use, if you're looking for a Linux learning experience then yes Arch or Gentoo will do it.

Second question is what windows features are you looking to keep?

#6 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

Linux because I want to be a member of the Master Race, but in all seriousness there's a couple of reasons;

1. It's nerdgasmic if you make it look good

2. I'm not amazing at Linux (or Unix) and based of some stuff a friend has said (who only uses OS X macOS for Adobe) that Arch is easier to learn off than Gentoo

3. Windows is getting boring

Mainly my "windows only" games, that's really the only reason I haven't done so earlier....

and i'm surprised Cybes hasn't come in here and said something about "switching to a better OS" or "about time you left win7 in the past" XP

#7 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:06 AM

2. I'm not amazing at Linux (or Unix) and based of some stuff a friend has said (who only uses OS X macOS for Adobe) that Arch is easier to learn off than Gentoo

Arch and Gentoo are the most autistic distros. They're complicated for the sake of being complicated, they pander to the obsessive nature of the people that use them.

If you want to use your computer to actually do things, Ubuntu, Mint or Suse are better choices.

Who cares if it's boring though, it's just there to enable you to run programs.
  • Xen likes this
四時半を待っています!

#8 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Linux because I want to be a member of the Master Race, but in all seriousness there's a couple of reasons;

1. It's nerdgasmic if you make it look good

Mainly my "windows only" games, that's really the only reason I haven't done so earlier....

and i'm surprised Cybes hasn't come in here and said something about "switching to a better OS" or "about time you left win7 in the past" XP

Ok fair enough on the reasons.

I still run windows, the only reason why i do is because of games.

Unless it has changed a lot running windows software on Linux has always been a pain in the ass, games doubly so.

Do not expect a new game to run and definitely do not expect it to run well.

what games are we talking here?

You're getting old and boring, don't you remember when it used to be fun? :)

Nowadays i just want shit to work when i want it to.

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:21 AM

If I wanted to use Linux, it would be peppermint OS (yes it's ubuntu based)

Cortana at your service

#10 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Pretty much anything that doesn't run on Linux/steamOS in my Steam library (Skyrim, AoE, Subnautica, Mirrors Edge, SW: BF2, Fallout NV), as well as Zoo Tycoon and Splinter Cell (along with blacklist)

I'm still probably gonna have windows running on one of my other drives, I did sorta say that

everyone is constantly telling me to "grow up", am I doing it correctly?

#11 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,000 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Pretty much anything that doesn't run on Linux/steamOS in my Steam library (Skyrim, AoE, Subnautica, Mirrors Edge, SW: BF2, Fallout NV), as well as Zoo Tycoon and Splinter Cell (along with blacklist)

I'm still probably gonna have windows running on one of my other drives, I did sorta say that

everyone is constantly telling me to "grow up", am I doing it correctly?

A good portion of those games will work, give it a go but there *WILL* be issues that you will need to sort out.

Growing up is overrated.... Enjoy your youth while it lasts.

#12 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,713 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

A man's gotta sleep. ;p

But seriously: 'nix is not my bag. Been there, two or three times before, and always had more issues than fun. Some people don't, or get off on fixing 'em, but that ain't me. AFAIC, it's a hobbyist project.

Don't let me stop you, though - go sample everything! I've been through OS/2, BeOS, a couple of DOSes, a couple of Linuxes, two actual UNIXes (for Uni), whatever that was the VAX ran, a couple of different iterations of Apple offerings, as well as *every* flavour of 'Doze - except Vista. You don't need to rush to do that, btw, it's just time.

Oh, and Win7..? I liked 7. It had some issues, sure, but it was their best to that date.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:21 PM

> Arch

> Arch

Good luck!

Basically that.

You'll need a windows partition for those games.

Ubuntu is the only way to go if you plan to use it as a "Main OS". The others work, but the chances of "Application XYZ" being packaged for <obscure linux distro> is slim.

And you WILL spend time learning new apps and trying to make obscure things work if you go with something like Arch.

Windows 10 shouldn't be boring yet. They JUST added a whole bunch of cortana features to enable normal speech patterns

"Show me that photo I liked last Thursday" etc.

The latest version of DirectX has some cool commands which I expect to show some pretty rad performance increases.

The full incorporation with OneDrive has really made a big difference to productivity for a LOT of people.

Windows, and their current unified OS approach (Windows10 on Microsoft Watch, Surface, Phone, PC, Laptop, Tablet) is going to end up being 'big'.

Now is the most exciting time! There's so much on the horizon.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 06 September 2016 - 01:24 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#14 galdarian

galdarian

Master

• Atomican
  • 749 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

Arch and Gentoo are the most autistic distros. They're complicated for the sake of being complicated, they pander to the obsessive nature of the people that use them.

If you want to use your computer to actually do things, Ubuntu, Mint or Suse are better choices.

I agree. The learning curve of Mint / Ubuntu can help you before diving in the deep end of Gentoo / Arch / Rolling your own (LFS)

An OS is a means to an end and if the change is for the learnings then 100% I'd be recommending a dual boot.

I switched to Xubuntu as my desktop over a year ago and have not looked back. I'm fortunate though because the games I play start with 'D' and end in 'ota2' so don't have to faff about with WINE.
I also am Team Green and the Nvidia binary driver is about as stable as the WHQL driver however you do lose the Nvidia Experience. That's a pro or a con depending on who you are. I do miss Shadowplay but OBS works well enough.

Keep in mind that you're walking a path that many before you have already tread. Assuming your Googlefu is good your issues are solvable :-)

#15 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:52 PM

A man's gotta sleep. ;p

Oh, and Win7..? I liked 7. It had some issues, sure, but it was their best to that date.

Sleep is for the weak, and what about all that stuff about "you shouldn't be on such a slow OS"? XP

> Arch

> Arch

Good luck!

Basically that.

You'll need a windows partition for those games.

Ubuntu is the only way to go if you plan to use it as a "Main OS". The others work, but the chances of "Application XYZ" being packaged for <obscure linux distro> is slim.

And you WILL spend time learning new apps and trying to make obscure things work if you go with something like Arch.

Windows 10 shouldn't be boring yet. They JUST added a whole bunch of cortana features to enable normal speech patterns

"Show me that photo I liked last Thursday" etc.

The latest version of DirectX has some cool commands which I expect to show some pretty rad performance increases.

The full incorporation with OneDrive has really made a big difference to productivity for a LOT of people.

Windows, and their current unified OS approach (Windows10 on Microsoft Watch, Surface, Phone, PC, Laptop, Tablet) is going to end up being 'big'.

Now is the most exciting time! There's so much on the horizon.

I have said this before and will say it again, I don't like windows 10, idgaf what other people say, I just don't like it.

I agree. The learning curve of Mint / Ubuntu can help you before diving in the deep end of Gentoo / Arch / Rolling your own (LFS)

An OS is a means to an end and if the change is for the learnings then 100% I'd be recommending a dual boot.

I switched to Xubuntu as my desktop over a year ago and have not looked back. I'm fortunate though because the games I play start with 'D' and end in 'ota2' so don't have to faff about with WINE.
I also am Team Green and the Nvidia binary driver is about as stable as the WHQL driver however you do lose the Nvidia Experience. That's a pro or a con depending on who you are. I do miss Shadowplay but OBS works well enough.

Keep in mind that you're walking a path that many before you have already tread. Assuming your Googlefu is good your issues are solvable :-)

One does not need Googlefu when one has access to the best forum on the internets :p

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:05 PM

I have said this before and will say it again, I don't like windows 10, idgaf what other people say, I just don't like it.

Well get fucking used to it, it's not going anywhere.

It's the final version of the operating system, and will be around for probably the rest of your life.

From now on its 'patch updates' like OSX.

If its one thing I hate, that really pushes my buttons its ignorance and lack of logic.

You've never once been able to provide creditable reasoning behind this discrimination.

Its the same mindset that keeps Australia on fucking copper phone lines

"We have had internet for ages, so what if the new offering is better in ever way, I don't like it, stick with copper"

.......frustrating.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#17 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

It's the final version of the operating system, and will be around for probably the rest of your life.

If its one thing I hate, that really pushes my buttons its ignorance and lack of logic.

You've never once been able to provide creditable reasoning behind this discrimination.

"We have had internet for ages, so what if the new offering is better in ever way, I don't like it, stick with copper"

.......frustrating.

It's not that I don't want to upgrade to a better and more advanced OS, it's just that my own personal opinion is that I don't like it, I have tested and tried to like it, I have said this before also, but I just don't like it........

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:53 PM

.......frustrating.

That's not the argument being used at all.
四時半を待っています!

#19 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

.......frustrating.

It's not that I don't want to upgrade to a better and more advanced OS, it's just that my own personal opinion is that I don't like it, I have tested and tried to like it, I have said this before also, but I just don't like it........

I still maintain that if I were to install Classic Shell, you'd never be able to tell the difference.

Somehow you think you can.

When you're a little older, you'll learn that "I don't like X, because I don't like X" never gets you very far.

You can't hate a product just because its better.

Between people its called discrimination.

In a professional world it's called a Bias.

On a social level, its called Bullying.

On a relationship level, its called being Stubborn.

None of the above gets you very far in life.

All it does is tell people to ignore your opinion, because its based on "personal opinion", not intelligence or fact.

Either way.

Install Ubuntu and move on with life.

.......frustrating.

That's not the argument being used at all.

It really seems to be, to my eyes.

"The copper is good enough, use it, it clearly works"

"No, its not good enough, please replace it with something better and more reliable"

Sure the argument is based on dollars, but its still how it feels to me.

"This works, why move to something better?"

..... because its better? no?

Edited by Master_Scythe, 06 September 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#20 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

It really seems to be, to my eyes.
"The copper is good enough, use it, it clearly works"
"No, its not good enough, please replace it with something better and more reliable"

Nobody, not even Mr Turnbull when he was shadow communications minister, suggested that VDSL2 would be the endgame, but rather it's a measure so that people on ADSL2+ can get reasonable speed in a year or three, instead of a decade or more.

Sure the argument is based on dollars, but its still how it feels to me.
"This works, why move to something better?"
..... because its better? no?

We would always move to something better in the long run, the idea of FTTN is to get more coverage sooner. Cheaper is debatable, a sweetener at best.
四時半を待っています!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users