25 replies to this topic

#1 ChildofChaos

ChildofChaos

Learner

• Quark
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:13 PM

#TheEndOfYouTube

What a tag that's driving the internet insane. Everyone is retweeting it, and with all the chaos that's happening on YouTube, it's honestly making me more and more afraid to start uploading to YouTube.

I'm personally waiting this whole disaster out.

What's everyone else's opinion on what YouTube is doing?

There are no such things as facts, only opinions. Some are stronger then others. And when those opinions are disagreed on, we should all accept that and move on with our lives.

#2 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

I used to remark years ago (for those who care to search) that the goal of the world authorities was to get control of the internet and dumb it down to the level of FTA TV or the main stream media and this is just another milestone in that direction. You'd think that would create a vacuum for another startup to appear?  Anyone got the skillz?

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

#TheEndOfYouTube

What a tag that's driving the internet insane. Everyone is retweeting it, and with all the chaos that's happening on YouTube, it's honestly making me more and more afraid to start uploading to YouTube.

I'm personally waiting this whole disaster out.

What's everyone else's opinion on what YouTube is doing?

Youtube (google), are doing what?

I just finished watching the latest release by MightyCarMods and noticed nothing odd going on.

If they do cross the line, it just means more videos for DailyMotion. No big deal.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 06 September 2016 - 04:28 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

I think it's telling that most of the people complaining about it are the dime-a-dozen mouthy lets-players. People that rely on shock value and foul language to gain a following.

People uploading quality content are largely unaffected.

Remember they're not changing the rules about what can be on Youtube, only the rules on what can be monetised.

Edited by SquallStrife, 06 September 2016 - 04:37 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,232 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

So what is happening?

A search on that tag reveals little.  I found this video, I was able to put up with about 50 seconds of it.  From what I gather the changes have been around but not strongly enforced until recently and relate to videos that you've uploaded and want to get ad revenue from.

Just why this guy posted his video which doesn't seem to explain anything is beyond me.  Good for a larf though...

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,134 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

I think it's telling that most of the people complaining about it are the dime-a-dozen mouthy lets-players. People that rely on shock value and foul language to gain a following.

People uploading quality content are largely unaffected.

Remember they're not changing the rules about what can be on Youtube, only the rules on what can be monetised.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#7 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:48 PM

Just why this guy posted his video which doesn't seem to explain anything is beyond me.  Good for a larf though...

Ironically, a clickbait video to generate revenue. ;)

Youtube (google), are doing what?

They changed the monetisation policies to exclude "Advertiser Un-friendly" content:

zPmcrGN.jpg

Basically, types of videos that advertisers probably wouldn't have bid on anyway.

D5KiS4Y3sm0

First comment nails it:

jumping the gun here, totally. there is no discrimination, the whole process is automated. it is a bot that screens for keywords. to make it even less conspicuous, this apparent change has actually been in place for a long, long time. the only difference is that now, you are told when your video is demonetised, and now have means to appeal.

四時半を待っています!

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:53 PM

Google make their money from ads, but people these days want block ads.

Youtube is one giant advertising site.

I have $US 20,000,000,000,000 in debt. Anyone want to buy some of my bonds?

#9 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

Actually, digging a bit further, the changes were made in 2015, it's only come up now because some of the larger channels were hit by it.

Someone at Youtube tweaked the algorithm to make it more effective, and guess who got hit first? The vacuous click-baity channels.
四時半を待っています!

#10 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:05 PM

Actually, digging a bit further, the changes were made in 2015, it's only come up now because some of the larger channels were hit by it.

Someone at Youtube tweaked the algorithm to make it more effective, and guess who got hit first? The vacuous click-baity channels.

Not really.  I know someone who makes trading videos (as in the trading the market) and he got one vid rejected because he mentioned a 'weaponised' MACD (indicator).  The nanny/police state goes global.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#11 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:09 PM

Not really.  I know someone who makes trading videos (as in the trading the market) and he got one vid rejected because he mentioned a 'weaponised' MACD (indicator).  The nanny/police state goes global.

You can dispute those decisions. If it's really just a "mention", or a minced/reused term, it'll come good once it's reviewed by a real person.

Also "nanny/police state". TIL Youtube is a country.
四時半を待っています!

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:11 PM

If they're smart they'll move to targeted ads.

If a video is flagged for... say... weapons......

It'll get thrown into 'age restricted' but also have its ads derived from, fuck, I dunno, 'Johnsons Gun Emporium!' or some shit.

People are getting worked up over the first step, if they stick with this, it'll be a long path.

As well documented, youtube make THEIR money from ads too; if you flag the big guys, your stock drops.

Not a smart move, they'll "refine" this process.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#13 ArchangelOfTheLamb

ArchangelOfTheLamb

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:12 PM

I don't actually see anything fundamentally wrong with this. Many advertisers don't want to be associated with content that might be regarded as offensive, extreme or overly political. Partly this is to placate the PC Police - a scare campaign to the effect that a particular company is racist, sexist, supports violence, etc. can be a nightmare for a company board. Partly this is also to ensure that a broader range of people can identify with the products that are being sold (and in turn spend their money on them) - if a company is seen as being too closely associated with a particular set of political views or a particular ideology, then this can alienate people who don't hold that ideology and make them less willing to buy that company's products.

As such, it's hardly a surprise that Youtube has implemented this policy - it is a simple and effective way for Youtube to make sure that companies that spend money on advertising their products through Youtube don't subsequently end up complaining that their product or brand has been tarnished through Youtube placing the ad on a video containing content that could be considered 'inappropriate'. It is much easier for this to be done through the implementation of a blanket policy that is enforced by a bot that looks for keywords than through employing people (at significant cost) to look through every video and make the decision manually.

It's also actually a good thing that they tell people when their video has been demonetised and that they've introduced an appeals process - this will ensure that people have a way of challenging these decisions if the bot makes a mistake.

Oh and for those concerned that their shock videos and cheap, tawdry or racist humour will no longer make them money, they can grab a box of Kleenex, shove it up their arse and find some other forum where they can make money off their material - the Internet is a big place and I'm sure there are other companies that will pay them money to produce their content, provided that it has some commercial value. Just as they, being private individuals, are entitled to make whatever videos they want (subject to legal restrictions of course), so also is Youtube, being a private company, entitled to place advertisements on whatever videos it chooses.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

"These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done." Revelation 22:6

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:12-14

"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." Revelation 22:16

#14 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:25 PM

If they're smart they'll move to targeted ads.

Youtube, and by extension Google AdSense is already very highly targeted.

What you'll find, though, is that a big advertiser like a car company or video game company will tick nearly every box when they put in a bid for ad space.

If a video is flagged for... say... weapons......
It'll get thrown into 'age restricted' but also have its ads derived from, fuck, I dunno, 'Johnsons Gun Emporium!' or some shit.

Age restricted videos can't be monetised. Never have been.

As well documented, youtube make THEIR money from ads too; if you flag the big guys, your stock drops.

The process by which ad space is sold to advertisers is interesting.

Advertising space is worth more when the content it's alongside has wider appeal. It's worth less (or rather, bids won't be as high) if advertisers are aware that their ads may be shown alongside the types of content in question here (even if that is because uploaders are gaming/abusing the system).

Oh and for those concerned that their shock videos and cheap, tawdry or racist humour will no longer make them money, they can grab a box of Kleenex, shove it up their arse and find some other forum where they can make money off their material

That's it in a nutshell.

Edited by SquallStrife, 06 September 2016 - 05:22 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#15 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,232 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

Good luck protesting your video re actually having someone look at it and decide.

I told these fuckwits almost 2 months ago that they'd removed the Murrumbidgee River from Google Maps and it's still not back.

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

It was funny google blocked tony Abbotts channel during an election.

I have $US 20,000,000,000,000 in debt. Anyone want to buy some of my bonds?

#17 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

Watched an interview on the Dotcom  farce as well, lot's of BS and U.S. government criminality with big implications if the nazis win this one.  Can post link if anyone cares. :)

#18 ArchangelOfTheLamb

ArchangelOfTheLamb

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

Watched an interview on the Dotcom  farce as well, lot's of BS and U.S. government criminality with big implications if the nazis win this one.  Can post link if anyone cares. :)

Sounds interesting - link me! Feel free to PM if you're worried about starting a big flame war, though, or if the Rules of At0mic have changed during my absence so as to make such content inappropriate for public posting. :-P

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." Hebrews 13:2

"These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done." Revelation 22:6

"And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city." Revelation 22:12-14

"I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star." Revelation 22:16

#19 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,134 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:08 AM

After a little time for people affected to calm down a bit.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#20 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:13 AM

Sounds interesting - link me! Feel free to PM if you're worried about starting a big flame war, though, or if the Rules of At0mic have changed during my absence so as to make such content inappropriate for public posting. :-P

Nah shouldn't start a flame war, he was interviewed on The Keiser report with his solicitor and some people don't like Max Keiser... :)

Interview starts at the 11min mark.

https://youtu.be/DIBM0I_c_X4?t=665

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users