Photo

Can't login to router page. I'm stumped?!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Hey,

So as per the title, I can't login to my Netgear N300 router page. I've tried everything listed on their website for this problem with no results. The thing is, I took it back to JB to get a replacement and they tested it there and bought up the page after about the 5th try. I get it home, same old shit, can't login. WTF???!!!

I have another modem, but with all the shit I'm going through with Telstra ATM, trying to get my internet speed stable and at an acceptable speed, they want me to test the connection for a couple of days on another modem. So I bust out the N300 and for the life of me I can't get into the router page, and therefore the  PPPoE settings so I can connect. 

I tried to get online help directly from Netgear, but it's a paid service that I refuse to subscribe to for the sake of the use of a friking modem for two days. 

Anyone got any ideas? It would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

I've got 2 Netgear modems - current in use is N300 model DGN2200v3.  There's sometimes 2 ways, IP or URL to logon.

According to the manual for mine, these URLs will also login http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com

Mine uses 10.1.1.1 as the base IP address which is what I set it to use, the default is192.168.1.1.  Worth a RTFM.  Also worthwhile doing it by cabled connection rather than wireless if possible.  And of course make sure it's not blocked by a firewall or Hosts setting.

Default user should be admin.  Default password is password.

The doc mentions factory reset button, you might need a paperclip.  Hold the button for 7 seconds.

Edited by Rybags, 13 September 2016 - 06:46 PM.

#3 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

I've got 2 Netgear modems - current in use is N300 model DGN2200v3.  There's sometimes 2 ways, IP or URL to logon.

According to the manual for mine, these URLs will also login http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com

Mine uses 10.1.1.1 as the base IP address which is what I set it to use, the default is192.168.1.1.  Worth a RTFM.  Also worthwhile doing it by cabled connection rather than wireless if possible.  And of course make sure it's not blocked by a firewall or Hosts setting.

Default user should be admin.  Default password is password.

The doc mentions factory reset button, you might need a paperclip.  Hold the button for 7 seconds.

Thanks Rybags, but that's actually my issue. I'm using the DGN2200v4 and I can't login to either  192.168.0.1, 198.168.1.1, nothing. I checked the firewall and there was no problem there. All done via cable. And like I said, I took it to JB to get a replacement, thinking it was kaput, and they logged in there within five tries using http://www.routerlogin.net/. Actually it was only one try, cause he didn't have the modem turned on for the first four.  WTF? Why would you be able to login to the router login page at one place but not at another? It doesn't make any sense to me. What am I missing here? 

Edited by disolusiond, 13 September 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:27 PM

Another alternative is try a different client - I've equally used phone or tablet to login though of course that means going thru wifi.  Ideally though another computer through cable.

All I could suggest is the factory reset aside from that.  I've found that modems can be annoyingly unresponsive with their control interfaces, I think the whole thing is probably stored in the firmware as compressed files which it has to inflate each time you call one up, but for the thing to not let you in at all sounds like something's screwed.

In theory you could cause a lockout situation with some modems by limiting the IP range it serves up or by otherwise screwing up the settings but that's why they give you the reset button.

#5 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

Thanks Rybags, but that's actually my issue. I'm using the DGN2200v4 and I can't login to either  192.168.0.1, 198.168.1.1, nothing.

Um...  Look, this is probably really stupid, but I'm going to suggest it anyway: My Billion (which is not your Netgear) uses a default of 192.168.1.255 I know yous has no business being at that end of the spectrum, and it surprised hell out of me when I got this one, but <shrug> for the sake of a different three trailing keystrokes on your next attempt, I'd give it a shot. And then shoot past me in the face for setting something daft. ;)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:19 PM

Realistically, the URL method should work.  I'd say that's why they include it, so you don't need to remember the default IP or what you've changed it to.

My guess is that if the computer hasn't got some problem causing it to not wanting to connect, that the modem is cactus and in need of being exchanged.

Also... not to forget the stupidly obvious stuff.  Once you turn on the modem give it 90 seconds or so to initialize, generally it won't accept connections for a little while.  Pretty sure the status or presence of the ADSL doesn't matter, it should allow connections through the physical ports before the wifi and modem stuff is sorted.

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,403 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Check the basic stuff like, you have a working Ethernet cable and it's not like a cross over cable. Check your os firewall and antivirus isn't doing weird stuff.

Cortana at your service

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Try your phone, via wifi.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,403 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:51 AM

Oh yes, is your os using fixed ip settings or just set to DHCP?

Cortana at your service

#10 disolusiond

disolusiond

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

Try your phone, via wifi.

I can't believe I spent a day and a half trying to solve this problem and never once thought of this. I'm such a dunce. It worked. Thanks everybody for the help. This is a great community, allbeit a small one. :D

#11 slayme1974

slayme1974

Learner

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:10 PM

I can't believe I'm the one helping someone on this forum (usually it's other way round), but if you have a cable tester, test the ethernet cable if it is faulty replace it. If not I'd buy a new nic, they're cheap enough (even for a brand name like netgear or dlink.)

#12 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,332 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

My Billion (which is not your Netgear) uses a default of 192.168.1.255

Actually that should be 192.168.1.254.

That's the standard Billion router IP address.

As always with router login issues first make sure the PC is set to DHCP not a fixed IP, then get the router IP address the computers network interface properties or via Ipconfig /all in the command prompt.

Also make sure any VPNs are disabled and clear your browser cache.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#13 slayme1974

slayme1974

Learner

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

My Billion (which is not your Netgear) uses a default of 192.168.1.255

As always with router login issues first make sure the PC is set to DHCP not a fixed IP, then get the router IP address the computers network interface properties or via Ipconfig /all in the command prompt.

Yes that's right. 192.168.1.255 is the BROADCAST address of the 192.168.1.0 subnet. I even checked with one of my instructors. You can't use the network address or the broadcast address for ur router or any other host.

Edited by slayme1974, 24 September 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#14 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

Yes that's right. 192.168.1.255 is the BROADCAST address of the 192.168.1.0 subnet. I even checked with one of my instructors. You can't use the network address or the broadcast address for ur router or any other host!!!

Yeah, you're both right - put down the bangs (exclamation marks). ;)  Working from memory, and missed by one.  At least I didn't try to tell you it was 256. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#15 slayme1974

slayme1974

Learner

• Quark
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:10 PM

Yes that's right. 192.168.1.255 is the BROADCAST address of the 192.168.1.0 subnet. I even checked with one of my instructors. You can't use the network address or the broadcast address for ur router or any other host!!!

Yeah, you're both right - put down the bangs (exclamation marks). ;)  Working from memory, and missed by one.  At least I didn't try to tell you it was 256. ;p

Sorry, I got a bit excited because I I knew something that many people don't know. I'm no expert and it's rare I can answer a question or make a valid statement.

#16 joemeow

joemeow

Initiate

• Quark
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 11:35 PM

Go to routerlogin and retrieve your password

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users