6 replies to this topic

#1 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hey guys,

So I recently obtained my i7-4770k and I decided to OC but I'm not exactly sure if I'm on the bad side of the silicon lottery. 

I watched and read some guides on OC'ing. 

CPU Cooler: Corsair H75

MB: Z97-D3H

I started off by taking LinusTechTips advice about a dirty overclock, so I started with 4.6ghz at 1.2v and I left all the power saving features on, left the ram on default timings with XMP enabled, and I didn't load into windows. So basically I got a below average chip.

I then tried 4.5ghz at 1.2v and that booted into windows but BSOD within minutes of Aida 64 Extreme Stress Test. I increased the voltage to 1.25v and it didn't pass the stress tests. Additionally I used OOCT and Prime95, but the Prime test seems to increase my voltage so I decided to stop.

I kept modifying the voltages and multiplier, 4.4ghz at 1.2v failed and 4.2ghz at 1.2 as well. I kept getting BSOD's or freezing.

My temps were around 70-80's before the crash. Idle tempts were around 30-40's. 

Sorry I do not have screenshots to show my results, but I'm honestly confused. 

Is there anything I should try or look into? I would hate to believe my CPU cannot push for at least 4.2ghz.

Edited by belal wow, 20 September 2016 - 04:18 PM.

I7-4770k - H75 Cooler - Z97-D3H - GTX760 4GB - G.skill Sniper 8GB 1600mhz - HCG-750M - Crucial BX100 250GB - Carbine Air 240 Case

#2 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

Update.

I set my CPU to 4.3ghz on 1.19v with 1.19v uncore and ring ratio of 38

been over an hour on ROG real bench and i'm getting max temps of 84, 82, 79 and 77. no sighs of instability yet, tested some games and temps were around 50-60's.

my cpu is on the lower end of performance, but how should i move on from here? I want to reduce temps.

I7-4770k - H75 Cooler - Z97-D3H - GTX760 4GB - G.skill Sniper 8GB 1600mhz - HCG-750M - Crucial BX100 250GB - Carbine Air 240 Case

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,580 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:46 PM

I'm no OC expert but not all CPUs OC the same way, it's a lottery.

Cortana at your service

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,921 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:40 PM

Update.

been over an hour on ROG real bench and i'm getting max temps of 84, 82, 79 and 77. no sighs of instability yet, tested some games and temps were around 50-60's.

my cpu is on the lower end of performance, but how should i move on from here? I want to reduce temps.

Hyperthreading is usually a 10*C temperature hog.

If you dont need those 8 threads (for example, you play video games, more than you video render) then disable that and you'll see approx 10*C drop.

Also, download as many temp programs as you can (I like RealTemp and SpeedFan) because some mislabel, or use incorrect offsets and will register way hotter than they actually are.

Also on the cooling front; do you know what lapping is for a heatsink?

Basically you get some 2000grit wet sandpaper, lay it on something totally flat (glass shelf from the fridge is a good emergency flat surface), and you sand AGAINST the grain of the metal, by moving the heatsink back and forward

You'll be amazed how "Not Flat" a CPU cooler is, most of the time; some people have EXTREMELY warped coolers. You should have seen my AMD heatsink for my server.... I had about a whole 1mm, maybe 1.5mm that had to come off two opposing corners to make it flat. Noticed an 8*C temp drop though!

Also, Gelid GC Extreme is the only paste to use these days.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:16 PM

Update.

If you dont need those 8 threads (for example, you play video games, more than you video render) then disable that and you'll see approx 10*C drop.

Also, download as many temp programs as you can (I like RealTemp and SpeedFan) because some mislabel, or use incorrect offsets and will register way hotter than they actually are.

Basically you get some 2000grit wet sandpaper, lay it on something totally flat (glass shelf from the fridge is a good emergency flat surface), and you sand AGAINST the grain of the metal, by moving the heatsink back and forward

You'll be amazed how "Not Flat" a CPU cooler is, most of the time; some people have EXTREMELY warped coolers. You should have seen my AMD heatsink for my server.... I had about a whole 1mm, maybe 1.5mm that had to come off two opposing corners to make it flat. Noticed an 8*C temp drop though!

I heard about it, but I'm not really keen on attempting it. Right now, I'm trying to focus on getting my settings correct. After failing miserably with 4.3ghz+, I went back to 4.2ghz with 1.18v vcore and cache ratio of 37 and the uncore of 1.18v and it seems to be stable with ROG real bench and AIDA 64 extreme. Stability isn't too much of a problem but I found temps hitting 80c on multiple monitoring programs. I can't hit 4.5 or 4.4 stable unless I go above 1.2v or even 1.25v. 

The thermal paste used is a coolermaster extreme one.

So I'm wondering if my chip is a flop.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,921 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:19 PM

Update.

I heard about it, but I'm not really keen on attempting it. Right now, I'm trying to focus on getting my settings correct. After failing miserably with 4.3ghz+, I went back to 4.2ghz with 1.18v vcore and cache ratio of 37 and the uncore of 1.18v and it seems to be stable with ROG real bench and AIDA 64 extreme. Stability isn't too much of a problem but I found temps hitting 80c on multiple monitoring programs. I can't hit 4.5 or 4.4 stable unless I go above 1.2v or even 1.25v. 

If it is;

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Sign up for the intel K warranty (about 6 bucks), ignore the temps, push it hard, and claim a replacement when it fries.

Half of the reason you pay so much for a 'K' is because for $6 more, you basically get 2.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:33 PM

Update.

If it is;

https://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

Sign up for the intel K warranty (about 6 bucks), ignore the temps, push it hard, and claim a replacement when it fries.

Half of the reason you pay so much for a 'K' is because for $6 more, you basically get 2.

yeah might consider this.

so i did some testing again, 4.2ghz @ 1.15v and uncore 1.15v as well. ratio @ 37, left the ram settings alone. power saving features on and it was stable on AIDA 64 with temps of 74,70,67,67 and Intel burn got 87,84,81 and 79, with 5 runs.

No crashing but my temps are strange. I most likely need to replace the thermal paste and remount the CPU before considering the plan. And if that doesn't work but my CPU is a crappy unit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users