• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hmm, I wanted to get a BT dongle so I use a BT headset on the main PC.  There's about 1 billion of them out there including some cheapies on ebay, so which one do I want to get?   Will just need to use a headset (headphones and mic) at this stage up to a few meters away max.  Also do I need to get any third party software, I've heard the windows 10 BT stack is pretty lame.

Cheers

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

Those Who Dance Are Considered Insane by Those Who Can’t Hear the Music.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,708 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

I bought one some years back (USB) and it needed WinXP drivers but Win7 just picks it up and autoinstalls.  Compared to today's dongles it's pretty bulky, has a floppy antenna and protrudes about 6cm from the USB port.

Probably not the best way to do things but there are nano sized USB ones now or PCIe cards, though I wouldn't waste a PCIe slot on a BT adaptor although there are combo cards that also have Wifi which would make it worthwhile if you want both and don't mind dedicating a slot to it.

Another alternative is one that attaches to an internal USB header on the motherboard then mounts to somewhere convenient such as spare expansion slot cover.

Yet another option though not sure how common could be a 3.5" multi card reader with BT adaptor included.  Supposedly this Xeon machine I've got has one but I can't find driver support.

The other consideration is later BT version support.  We're up to 4.x now though some of the improvements relate to just using BT to negotiate an 802.11 quick connection, but for whatever device you get probably worth throwing a couple of extra bucks at for a later version.

Seems the nano adaptors are cheap enough that you could just include them in Cornflakes packets so it's not going to be a disaster if you pick a dud.

#3 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

The internal USB one sounds good but I don't have any free internal USB's so something that will plug into an external USB port will have to be the the way to go I guess.

"The most powerful tool in the hand of the opressor is the mind of the opressed."-- Steve Biko

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,708 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Nano might be the shot... I'd be tempted to grab one myself but rarely use BT devices on my desktop system.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Actually windows 10 drivers are pretty flawless. If it was 7 I was going to be scared.

Anything will really work, just make sure it has the headset profile and go for it.

I've used about 10 or so models, all from china, all work fine. all about $5 from ebay.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,577 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

My windows 7 netbook constantly reinstalls the bluetooth everytime I start Windows, which is a bit weird.

Cortana at your service

#7 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:50 AM

Actually windows 10 drivers are pretty flawless. If it was 7 I was going to be scared.

Anything will really work, just make sure it has the headset profile and go for it.

I've used about 10 or so models, all from china, all work fine. all about $5 from ebay.

Make sure what has the headset profile? The windows BT stack?

Not to worry, the BT dongle (CSR) came with it's own software.

Edited by Director, 26 September 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,913 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

Make sure what has the headset profile? The windows BT stack?

Not to worry, the BT dongle (CSR) came with it's own software.

Nah, windows does by default. They finally made it 'just work' I've used countless headsets.

So long as the headset you use has both a High Quality, and a Headset\Phone profile, it'll go nicely.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,577 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:31 AM

Make sure it's Bluetooth 3 or 4, bluetooth 2 does not support audio (I have one those old ones on my desk LOL)

Cortana at your service

#10 Director

Director

Immortal

• Hero
  • 40,460 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:09 PM

Yeah it's BT 4.

It should work with these no probs...

http://www.nerdrepor...hphones-review/

Edited by Director, 26 September 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#11 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,710 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

I've bought cheap ones off eBay, that apparently work fine with Raspberry Pi (I've yet to test) but refuse to work with Win7 or Win10.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,577 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:22 PM

I've bought cheap ones off eBay, that apparently work fine with Raspberry Pi (I've yet to test) but refuse to work with Win7 or Win10.

Linux might have some sort of generic cover-all driver but Windows is a bit more fussy.

Cortana at your service

#13 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,710 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:28 PM

I think going forward, I'd keep everything in the Bluetooth 4.0 realm.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users