• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hi, I have Firefox version 49 (latest) and looking to purchase antivirus/firewall software. I am looking at Norton Security Premium considering they are getting rid of Norton 360. The problem is with the Norton Toolbar with NSP, ie, "We have released a new version of the Norton Toolbar that is partially compatible with Mozilla Firefox versions 46, 47, and 48. Unfortunately, the following features are not available in this release.

• Norton Identity Safe

• Share via Facebook"

Please see more info at "https://support.nort...Profile_en_us".

Will running Live Update fix the problem? How have others who have been using Norton Security Premium think it is like? Good or bad experience?

Thanks.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:56 PM

I've been using Avast (free) for probably 2 years and generally run older Firefox versions since newer versions tend to break some of the extensions I use.

I don't generally get problems, don't see the sense in using Nortons for the fact they're usually paid for products and don't exactly have the best reputation insofar as slowing the machine down and creating a nanny situation which affects productivity.

Firefox 49 looks to be a very new release so support for it might take a while.  If they've not stated it's supported yet then I doubt doing an update at this time will help any.

#3 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:26 PM

Hi, I get this message, when I try to enable Norton Identity Safe "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure" from identitysafe.norton.com for Firefox.

And I get "Norton Security Toolbar" instead of "Norton Identity Safe" under Menu -> Add-Ons within Firefox. The latest update from Norton says that it should fix this, but it hasn't.

How do I fix this??? I'm a bit worried. Thanks in advance.

Edited by TazDCassar, 27 September 2016 - 06:34 PM.

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

OK, you tried disabling other addins on Firefox in case they are interfering with Norton?

Reinstalling the Norton plugin might work.

Edited by Jeruselem, 28 September 2016 - 09:09 AM.

Cortana at your service

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

Hi, I get this message, when I try to enable Norton Identity Safe "The add-on could not be downloaded because of a connection failure" from identitysafe.norton.com for Firefox.

And I get "Norton Security Toolbar" instead of "Norton Identity Safe" under Menu -> Add-Ons within Firefox. The latest update from Norton says that it should fix this, but it hasn't.

How do I fix this??? I'm a bit worried. Thanks in advance.

If you're able to get a refund, DO IT.

The various "big box" antivirus companies have been struggling to keep up with viruses for YEARS.

If you simply MUST spend money, the PRO version of AVIRA (probably the best out there at the moment, followed by AVAST) is $19 from the PC Authority Software Store (for 3 licenses).

If you're worried about OTHER malware also, then MalwareBytes AntiMalware Pro, is also worthwhile.

Norton has been shameful ever since 360 almost destroyed their business. That single piece of software would have made 10 grand in work from trashing operating systems...

God bless, and curse, norton 360.

ANYWAY just in case it's not possible,

What is this toolbar supposed to do? It sounds like bloat for the browser as the antivirus will do its work even without the toolbar.

I'd genuinely suggest dumping the paid software and moving to free Avira or Avast (or pro, if you wish to pay).

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:01 AM

Norton Identity Safe is working now. However, the Norton Toolbar says it is 'configure: Firefox', even though it is enabled. However, in the vault, it says it is not installed. Help Please. Thanks.

Edited by TazDCassar, 28 September 2016 - 10:07 AM.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

It's a poorly programmed product.

You've simply found a bug.

You paid for this right?

Whats the one advantage to paid software?

PHONE SUPPORT.

call them, and update us with the fix, so we know for future!

That's the thing, most of us around here are IT professionals, so we don't usually use 'bad software'.

Products like Norton Antivirus (regardless of what fancy name they have now) has broken too many systems for 99% of us to even consider using it.

It also has poorer detection rates than the free ones.

But, if you phone them, get an answer, then post it, we will then know for future users; and you name will go down in history as the "top google hit" for this problem in future!

It's a win win.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 28 September 2016 - 11:32 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:50 PM

My problem is even shown in the "How to create a vault" video, except it is Chrome not Firefox. It says Firefox is not installed. My subscription has 25 days left.

#9 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 05:32 PM

Hi, Tech Support said that it is a glitch and will be rectified through Live Update and that the version I have now is the BETA version for 22.8.0.50. Therefore version 22.8 has not yet been fully released. They also mentioned that Norton Identity Safe is installed in Firefox and that Norton Security Premium has no issues with Windows 8.1. Hope this helps. Thanks, guys.

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

Good information, thanks! I'll remember that for future :)

I'm sure I'll get a client wondering why it says 'not installed' when it is......

After 25 days, I'd highly recommend moving to Avira or Avast.

And if you are the type to want 'browser protection', Malwarebytes.

#11 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

A good AV does not need to install crapware toolbars into a browser. That's the old way of doing things.

Cortana at your service

#12 TazDCassar

TazDCassar

Learner

• Quark
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

There's some pretty good reviews for Norton Security Premium on the net and I have had no problems with Norton 360, so I think I''l stick to Norton Security Premium.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

There's some pretty good reviews for Norton Security Premium on the net and I have had no problems with Norton 360, so I think I''l stick to Norton Security Premium.

Can you link to some of these creditable good reviews?

https://www.av-compa...m_201512_en.pdf

They don't even make it\participate in the AV-Comparatives tests....

If that's not a red flag, I don't know what is.

In addition, it looks like it costs money for this sub-standard product.

You've been telling us it's been trying to install a BHO (toolbar) in your browser?

That shouldn't be allowed; that's very 'old' thinking and considered bloat\malware by a lot of people.

I can't find any AV100% awards either; does it have any?

Look, we get it, we can't make you do anything you don't want to, its your PC.

Its just a hot button for me when someone says "Ive had no problems, so it must be good"..... well no, that could easily mean it's bad.

I've seen "good reviews" also, but all the ones I can google up are purely a:

-we installed it

-It looked and behaved well

-It didnt negatively impact the system

-we like it.

I can't find an actual detection test or attack test (where  back door trickery tries to EXIT the antivirus).

Hell, I've been wrong before.

I'll actually be more than happy to be shown proof that Norton is now worth the money; but when the top performer (well, 2nd  now, Kaspersky beat them) costs $0, you're going to have to make one hell of a compelling case.

#14 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:25 PM

Yep, get rid of the shit.

It only still exists because of people's ignorance and the fact that it's piggyback/bundled onto retail items.  The fact that they expect you to pay for it is just outrageous.

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

Yep, get rid of the shit.

It only still exists because of people's ignorance and the fact that it's piggyback/bundled onto retail items.  The fact that they expect you to pay for it is just outrageous.

If he HAS to go with a "Brand Name" because some people are just made more comfortable by it;

http://www.msy.com.a...d-key-only.html

3 devices, 2 years, $21.

AND they topped out the AV Comparatives tests. If thats not icing on the cake, nothing is.

I might even buy a copy of that for myself.

Something like $3.50, per device, per year, for the number1 AV?

That's not bad.

#16 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,330 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:11 PM

If he HAS to go with a "Brand Name" because some people are just made more comfortable by it;

Been using Kaspersky for years on a PC which I slave customers HDD too and so far it has done it's job well.

I also find Kaspersky Rescue Disk handy for some situations.

https://support.kasp...uses/rescuedisk

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Been using Kaspersky for years on a PC which I slave customers HDD too and so far it has done it's job well.

I also find Kaspersky Rescue Disk handy for some situations.

https://support.kasp...uses/rescuedisk

Cool.

Might go buy a copy actually.

I have Avira currently, but my rego is about to expire.

I know the free is the same program, I just dont want the "pro" prompts again.

#18 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

I have Kaspersky on work PCs, it's too intrusive (stops legit stuff from working)

Cortana at your service

#19 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

A must have with these things is to have levels of control, to be able to turn off components individually, e.g. browser, file, email and to be able to completely isolate directories from scrutiny.

#20 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

I have Kaspersky on work PCs, it's too intrusive (stops legit stuff from working)

Thats what I like to hear :P

I like agressive over the top antiviruses, I can tell it when to shut up and put an exclude on.

I'd prefer 100 false positives than a single missed real.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users