SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:51 PM

Unfortunately their smartphones were a bit underwhelming at best.

Edited by Jeruselem, 29 September 2016 - 02:26 PM.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:14 PM

Unfortunately their smartphones were a bit underwhelming at best.

Besides the best battery life, widest app support (while android 4.4 was current... I'll admit), and IMO the better build quality; what was it that underwhelmed you?

Sorry... im being defensive...  but I'm just always edgy; I'm used to people attacking them without ever daily driving them.

Well I still have the Mercury to look forward to.

bb-rome-3.jpg

Then whoever buys their keyboard patent will no doubt, use it.

and Nokia are on their way back, and I preferred NOKIA keyboards to blackberry anyway.

My hopes aren't dead yet.

I will genuinely however stop carrying a phone if I end up with "flat piece of glass" as the only phone option.

I'll carry an ultrabook in my bag with a sim in it, and that'll be all.

I've been using the Galaxy Note 4 for a few months now, and the spelling errors are beyond laughable using an onscreen.

Another two friends 'put away' their BB's at the same time so we could try moving over together.

the amount of spelling errors; ESPECIALLY when I try and edit some code, or work in cmd via RDP, is laughable.

Keyboards... thats all I care about.

BB had my loyalty for 'sticking to it'.

FUCKING BAM!!!!!!!

http://crackberry.co...board-will-live

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

the amount of spelling errors; ESPECIALLY when I try and edit some code, or work in cmd via RDP, is laughable.

Have you considered that maybe an ultrabook with 3G/4G was always a better option for this type of activity anyway?

Because this:

I will genuinely however stop carrying a phone if I end up with "flat piece of glass" as the only phone option.

Kind of suggests you've been trying to shoehorn your activity into the wrong device all along. Doing your "emergency" coding on a phone is a cool idea, but in practice you'd have done a better job quicker with a proper keyboard.

Have a low-end Android/iOS device for your Pokemon Go, quick SMS reply, etc, but do all your actual work on something more substantial.

Edited by SquallStrife, 29 September 2016 - 04:19 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:18 PM

Have you considered that maybe an ultrabook with 3G/4G was always a better option for this type of activity anyway?

Because this:

Kind of suggests you've been trying to shoehorn your activity into the wrong device all along.

Have a low-end Android/iOS device for your Pokemon Go, quick SMS reply, etc, but do all your actual work on something with a real mouse and keyboard.

Well, honestly, no.

Because Nokia phones could do it easily.

The blackberry could do it easily.

Why not these (apparently) superior android\iphones?

Well, because they lack proper inputs. the HID experience is woeful.

Though yes, I think a phone WITHOUT a keyboard is the wrong device for this type of work.

and for SMS and email. I just cant speed type on it.

Needed to hammer out a quick 100~200 word email for work the other day.

Took like.... 20 minutes to fix all the errors.

Same task on a qwerty phone wouldn't have any.

No matter! BB keyboard patent will live on; nothing to fear :)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 29 September 2016 - 04:20 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:30 PM

Well, honestly, no.
Because Nokia phones could do it easily.
The blackberry could do it easily.

"Easily" is hugely subjective though. I have an RDP app on my iPhone 6+, and never mind typing, just trying to navigate a desktop environment on such a small screen is hopeless.

Any time I've been in a position where it was an option to complete something, almost always it was preferable to find a seat, bust out a laptop, tether, and get stuck in.

Why not these (apparently) superior android\iphones?
Well, because they lack proper inputs. the HID experience is woeful.

Well, they are superior, just not for your particular edge use case.

See I don't have that problem. Nobody I know that uses all-touchscreen phones has that problem.

You're the only person I know that has such massive difficulty typing on a touch screen.

All this said, I know you're a bit thingy about having an oddball weird/edgy phone, so I suspect proficiency isn't the core issue here. ;)
四時半を待っています!

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Took me a while to go from a Nokia to a touch screen but it's hard to go back to physical keyboard on a phone.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Well, they are superior, just not for your particular edge use case.

See I don't have that problem. Nobody I know that uses all-touchscreen phones has that problem.

You're the only person I know that has such massive difficulty typing on a touch screen.

All this said, I know you're a bit thingy about having an oddball weird/edgy phone, so I suspect proficiency isn't the core issue here. ;)

Yes, I'd be lying if I didnt admit I enjoy having the oddball device. But it's genuinely not just that.

Back in teh days of "I just got my BB Q10~*swoon*!

I went around and turned auto correct off on a bunch of mates phones, and I think they lasted 1 maybe 2 days at most before "I have to turn it back on...."

So I think you'd be surprised at how many people are actually terrible at using that onscreen keyboard and are relying on software to make up for the lack of quality HID.

Not that the above doesn't work, it clearly does, but because when we're talking advancements in hardware, I think the designers are "getting off easy" because a 3rd party is picking up the slack.

I'm of the strong opinion that a step backward, with a quality work around, is not a step forward.

I'll also admit, while easily can be subjective, 99% of our "outside work" (well, mine) come after you've 'just left for the day'.

This means peak hour; whether driving or catching Public Transport.

Scenario 1 has me trying to unpack a laptop and fit it between me and the steering wheel, quite a long process by comparison of 'grab my phone'.

And scenario 2 has me trying to find somewhere with "shoulder room" so I can type. I'm not huge, but I'm not thin either.

In the past, a quick AD fix, or a quick note to the CEO about "what his SMTP server was" was a quick type and send.

It's genuinely much more painful, and as I said, Im not alone on this, I 'brought 2 people i know along for the ride'.

I can achieve about 95% accuracy if I slow my typing to about 45wpm.

But at my default 65wpm on a phone, error error error.

Yeah, my use case is a little bit edge; but I still feel hardware manufacturers are "cheating" expecting software to make up for the lack of quality HID.

EDIT: doesn't matter anyway, keyboard is staying :P I trust Chen; this isn't his first rodeo and he's yet to disappoint.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 29 September 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 12:28 PM

Huawei Blackberry phones then for you MS?

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:47 AM

That'd work fine.

Even my mates iPhone 4 (I think it was a 4? Maybe 5) with the clip-on bluetooth keyboard was pretty good.

These things:

https://istoreworld....-2-for-iphone-6

"Typo" Keyboard

I just can't seem to get the accuracy up high enough, with more than about 40 or so WPM with an OSK.

Makes writing letters or documents a pain on-the-go.

I'm fairly open minded to the ecosystem, just the input that matters.

Though Android is showing an odd trait.

Various apps keep accessing the internet while idle.

Apple, BBOS and windows phone didn't show this issue.

Auto Update apps is off, and "allow notifications" is off also, yet they keep hitting the firewall.

No biggie since I run the firewall on the phone, but it's just odd behavior.

"Phone Home" software has always been considered 'bad' in IT, yet basically every app is doing it on the Android ecosystem.

Hopefully Android N brings more focus on security.

#11 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

That'd work fine.

Even my mates iPhone 4 (I think it was a 4? Maybe 5) with the clip-on bluetooth keyboard was pretty good.

These things:

"Typo" Keyboard

I just can't seem to get the accuracy up high enough, with more than about 40 or so WPM with an OSK.

Auto Update apps is off, and "allow notifications" is off also, yet they keep hitting the firewall.

"Phone Home" software has always been considered 'bad' in IT, yet basically every app is doing it on the Android ecosystem.

Google make tonnes of $$$ from ads, they live and die on ad revenue.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

That'd work fine.

These things:

"Typo" Keyboard

Google make tonnes of $$$ from ads, they live and die on ad revenue.

Oh of course, I don't disagree.

Just doesn't explain why 3rd party apps, that aren't ad supported, on an Open Source OS, with no google account (I'm an APK installer type of guy), was touching the firewall.

Biggest culprit was Microsoft Word, and Adobe Acrobat Viewer.

As I said, simple work around, but still, people shouldn't have to.

On the note of 'phone home' software; does it bother anyone else that samsungs default keyboard keylogs and sends home to "improve predictive text"?

There's passwords in them there keylogs bro.

#13 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:29 AM

Just imagine what phone home stuff Apple has left in iOS ...

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:38 AM

That's the funny thing, and one big thumbs up I'll give to them.

There are still logs on the home 'wall, but they're so minimal, and seem to just be 'handshakes'.

Only BBOS was any better.

As much as I hate their locked down ecosystem, they're not really abusing it....

#15 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

There are still logs on the home 'wall, but they're so minimal, and seem to just be 'handshakes'.

As much as I hate their locked down ecosystem, they're not really abusing it....

Did you know if you have an iTunes movie on your iphone, and you want to play it on your TV via Apple TV - you need Internet access so it pings the Apple servers to allow you do this?

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

Did you know if you have an iTunes movie on your iphone, and you want to play it on your TV via Apple TV - you need Internet access so it pings the Apple servers to allow you do this?

Not a scenario I could ever see happening to me personally; but I can see that being very annoying for say..... people camping in a motorhome or some such.

Probably not the wisest move by them.

#17 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:28 PM

Bullshit, used AirPlay heaps of times when my old ADSL was down.
四時半を待っています!

#18 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

Bullshit, used AirPlay heaps of times when my old ADSL was down.

I have someone who tried this, disabled Internet and it failed. Apple might have changed things in later versions of Apple TV.

It only happens for videos.

Edited by Jeruselem, 04 October 2016 - 04:48 PM.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users