• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,825 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

I'm going to give this Thermaltake Bigwater 760is that came with a Core2 system a bit of a whirl.

Sadly the mounting bracket only goes up to LGA775, I assume that there's one available for later socket types if I happen to want to use it elsewhere.

So far as the coolant goes, I've had a bit of a look around and don't want to fork out the ridiculous bucks they want for dedicated fluids and don't give a crap about UV lighting or what it looks like.

What I have found is various bits of advice relating to using automotive coolant and mixing with distilled or demineralized water.

The plan I have  - I've got some half decent coolant that I think is 20% ethyl-glycol and also has the corrosion inhibitors.  I also just bought some demineralized water for all of $1.70.

So, mix the 2 together probably with a ratio of 2:1 coolant/demin water.

More water = better cooling ability, the corrosion inhibitor should still be sufficient ratio and with the ethyl-glycol it's not really needed and is worse for cooling but does have the benefit as per cars in that it helps keep the corrosion inhibitor stable and should also help to keep any organic growth to a minimum.

Thoughts?

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,825 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 10:09 PM

Got it in a test setup.  Got an old Nokia car charger and rejigged it into a 12 Volt to molex connector so I could do a test setup without having it installed in anything.  That's plugged into a wall unit which has a 12V car socket.

Changed my mind on the mix after searching and reading a bit more - went with 3 parts water to 1 part coolant.

Might leave the thing running all night, got it with the pump/radiator unit sitting on the washing machine and pipes + CPU block going into a bucket in the tub.  I'll put some absorbent paper under the pump unit, so all that should allow me to catch any leak evidence.  Right PITA to get the air bubbles out, for a time I thought the pump might be stuffed but I think it's OK now.

Then give it a shot inside an actual PC tomorrow.

Edited by Rybags, 26 October 2016 - 10:10 PM.

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,825 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

This thing is pretty good compared to the annorexic slim Intel HSF which they inflicted on owners of the slower Core2 then propogated elsewhere once the mainstream ones went lower process size and voltage.

Full load improvement of 18-20 degrees and idle improvement of 7-11.

Best idle temp was 42 @ stock 3 GHz speed with Intel HSF compared to 32 on water.

Best under load was 63 stock speed and 42 on water.

I only bothered doing up to 3.6 GHz on air but tried 4.194 on water.

Worst air temps were @ 3.6 with 45 idle, 68 load.  Water at same speed was 38 and 47.

Highest temp on water was @ 4.194 with 41 idle, 57 under load.

All these with the case door off and little in the way of airflow effort or assisting fans elsewhere.

Door back on bumped temps up by about 3-4.

#4 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,814 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:51 PM

coolant works well if the loop has no acrylic that can be cracked by it

provided its made to be compatible with older engines with copper welsh plugs rather than newer just alloy engines as the anti corrosive can work the wrong way depending on what they use

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,825 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

Cheers, I hadn't much considered from that angle, it's so-called universal coolant but biased towards modern engines and is a step up from the cheap shit which generally has no ethyl-glycol.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this thing, I don't entirely feel good about having what will be a seldom used machine sitting around with the best part of a litre of stuff which could potentially leak and kill carpet.

But I am mighty tempted to try it on my i7 machine.  Don't have a bracket to suit but thinking about making up a simple adaptor bracket which would sit on the 75mm spaced screws of the i7 then provide facility to just mount the water block using the holes provided for AMD or P4.

#6 Xen

Xen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,001 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

I ran automotive coolant at a 5% mix in a loop with copper blocks and an acrylic res.

No issue when i stripped it down 5 years later.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,825 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:31 PM

I don't see how copper welsh plugs or otherwise would make a diff - the radiator in near 100% of OEM cases will be copper core.  The main difference in old vs new would be more steel and cast iron in older ones but plenty of modern engines still use cast iron for the block.

But, I do feel that I probably should dilute it down a bit, though as regards cooling there's not really much to complain about.

I did a bunch of runs with the E8400 (3.0 GHz) that was in the machine then put my Quad 6600 in.

Worst temp I measured with the E8400 was at 4.194 GHz, the case closed up with no extra fans and the radiator fan on low.  61-62 Degrees during a wPrime 1G run.  Best speed I got out of that CPU was 478*9 = 4.302 GHz though stability was an issue much over 4.2 GHz.

With the Q6000 @ stock, temps 27-29 idle and 35-38 loaded, range covering fan on low and high.  Worst temp during actual measurement testing was @ 3.429 Ghz with 44 busy, 30 idle though that was late at night with ambient probably under 16.

Best speed from the Q6600 involved giving it VCore of 1.43125 Volts, got it to 427.8*9 = 3.853 GHz.  I did get a slightly higher speed but unstable to the point of not being able to complete a wPrime 32 run.  Above about 3.75 GHz became unstable.  At the elevated speeds with higher VCore the temp would jump fairly quickly to the high 40s, I suspect a long duration 100% load would see it go towards 60.

All that said though, tests performed with no 3D graphics going on and in any case with an old Quaddro FX580 card that has a TDP all of 40 Watts.

#8 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,814 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:16 PM

some of the higher quality vehicles trucks ect may still use copper\brass rads but most cars use aluminum tubes\fins with composite\plastic end tanks these days i believe

if its a universal coolant it should be ok

a thicker mixture could affect flow rate a bit but i doubt you would see a significant difference from watering it down further

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users