Photo

Noticed "Not Supported" Actually means "We'll break it"?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,042 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

I'm talking the trend of V7.1 supported, 7.0 not. With no protcol changes, as are in this example, a chat client.

I expect v7.1 will not break v7.0 . I expect that v8.0 can break v7.0. Major version numbers are for exactly that reason, breaking changes. So typically, if you upgrade from one version to another you can accept that things may break. People should read the change log before upgrading. Same as v1.0 of an API can completely fuck apps coded against v0.9.

This isn't really in direct response to your OP, just version numbering in general, and stuff like Windows is a bit different, where Microsoft would go bankrupt if an upgrade from windows 8.1 to window 10 meant you had to reinstall all your data and your software working on 8.1 doesn't work on 10. MS are a definite exception though, with their diligence in maintaing backwards compatibility.

Considering you can still run like VB6 apps on Windows 10 x64 ... yes!

That's with a bit of finicking with some OCX and DLL but it works.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

I'm talking the trend of V7.1 supported, 7.0 not. With no protcol changes, as are in this example, a chat client.

I expect v7.1 will not break v7.0 . I expect that v8.0 can break v7.0. Major version numbers are for exactly that reason, breaking changes. So typically, if you upgrade from one version to another you can accept that things may break. People should read the change log before upgrading. Same as v1.0 of an API can completely fuck apps coded against v0.9.

This isn't really in direct response to your OP, just version numbering in general, and stuff like Windows is a bit different, where Microsoft would go bankrupt if an upgrade from windows 8.1 to window 10 meant you had to reinstall all your data and your software working on 8.1 doesn't work on 10. MS are a definite exception though, with their diligence in maintaing backwards compatibility.

Considering you can still run like VB6 apps on Windows 10 x64 ... yes!

That's with a bit of finicking with some OCX and DLL but it works.

Oh for sure, and I'll even give a weak free pass to companies who offer old versions.

Android, iOS and Metro apps, all don't allow that though.

Very few companies host their APK's, and even fewer allow old versions to even connect.

I'll admit my initial post is certainly more mobile focused; but still.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,042 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

We have an in-house VB6 app which is still in VB6 because no one here codes in VB6 anymore, but it's still working even on Windows 10 x64 1607. It was last updated in like 2011 to make it work with Vista.

Edited by Jeruselem, 02 December 2016 - 03:18 PM.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#24 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,047 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 01:13 PM

We have similar apps at work.

But they are not performing authentication over public networks and or interfacing with servers that interface to multiple versions of clients.

In isolation, old software can run for decades. With interfacing the costs go up, Care about security, and you can add another zero.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users