• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:33 PM

I've got a Gigabyte G1 GTX1070 (8GB) graphics card and I need to connect it to a Samsung SyncMaster 940N monitor with only VGA input. Note: I only want to connect the card to this one monitor, not two or three.

The output sockets on the card are DVI-D, Displayport (as far as I can tell they aren't DP++ Displayports) and HDMI. So obviously, I need something that will convert one of these to VGA.

I've looked at going through the DVI-D port, but this seems to be an expensive route, with the cheapest reliable adapters beginning around $40-50.

Displayport seems a bit cheaper: the cheapest (apparently) reliable adapter I've seen there is $24.

So far, browsing the market has been a confusing and stressful exercise, as there are adapters for both of these sockets that will apparently fit in the sockets, but won't actually transmit a proper picture to the monitor! In the case of the Displayport adapters, I apparently need an "active" adapter, not a "passive" one, but very few of the adapters I encounter on the market state one way or another which kind they are!

So now I'm looking in to my options with the HDMI port and I'm afraid that it will be an equally confusing situation. It seems whoever invented these damned ports didn't standardize them! e.g. a DP++ Displayport is visually identical to a non-DP++ port, but they require completely differant hardware to make a VGA connection, and NOBODY, not the card manufacturer, not the adapter manufacturer or merchants seem to explicitly state this!

There are HDMI-to-VGA cables going for around $6 on ebay, but considering what I've discovered thus far about the other sockets on the card, I'm feeling like these cables are too good to be true and that for some reason they won't actually work.

Can someone give me a bit of insight as to what my best (i.e. cheapest reliable) option is for connecting my card to my monitor?

Edited by Camsie, 02 December 2016 - 02:37 PM.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

Hit up eBay though you'll need an actual powered converter rather than simple adaptor - in the case of doing analog RGB through a DB15 port.

It might well be the case of being not much more $$$ to just buy a suitable monitor.  Why people bother with the old DB15 connections any more has got me stuffed.  FFS, even DVI has been superseded... twice.

#3 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

I don't have a DB15 port, I only have DVI-D, Displayport & HDMI on the graphics card, and VGA on the monitor.

I've been on ebay, but as I've tried to explain, there are a bunch of adapters out there and a lot of them apparently won't work, but (at least in the case of the Displayport to VGA converters) don't explicitly state which kind of converter they are. There are "passive" converters and "active" ones - aparrently I need an "active" one, but most of the ones on ebay don't state which kind they are.

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:20 PM

I know you don't have a DB15 port from the graphics card - that's why I said you'd need a converter.

Discerning passive and active is easy enough - the active ones need an external power source so will usually have the barrel type DC connector, and in the case of cheapies you'll probably need to supply the adaptor yourself - usually a common type like 5 or 12V.

On second look - DP actually supplies power so a passive one might well do the trick.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,796 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

USB -> VGA has gotten cheap, just a side note.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:48 PM

Damn, this is getting more and more confusing by the second. Everything I've read up til now has suggested to me that a passive Displayport converter won't work for me, but now you are telling me that it will.

But also, you keep talking about DB15 ports. I've just looked it up and it looks like a DB15 port is the kind of monitor port I used to have on my old Advance 86. (Ah, for the days when 640KB of RAM was considdered high-end...)

What my monitor has is a VGA port. It has the same trapezoid-type shape, but it has 3 rows of pins, not 2. It's a completely different plug, so I really need to make sure what I get is VGA-outputting, not DB15 outputting.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:51 PM

The 2-row actually had 9 pins.  But yeah, I'm not 100% but think you should be good with one of the 6 buck adaptors since DP does in fact supply some power

#8 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:53 PM

Okay, but I obviously don't have USB ports on my graphics card, so essentially, the picture data has to come back out of the card via the PCI Express slot, through the motherboard and then out the USB sockets. That actually works?

I've never had an arrangement where the picture data doesn't come directly from the graphics card, so this is all new to me.

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

We should be saying DE-15 or HD-15 instead of VGA to be correct ...

Cortana at your service

#10 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

The USB 2 ones are video adaptors in their own right and will be like a seperate display driver situation to your graphics card.

So in fact probably useless for any realtime gaming.  USB 2 is too slow for that - in fact it's not even quick enough to drive an 800x600 uncompressed datastream at 60 Hz.

#11 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:13 PM

Just looked it up. My monitor has the HD-15 type. But all the adapters on the market still call it a VGA plug.

Does this mean that there's a chance I could buy something with a VGA output and still wind up with problems because I've got myself a DE-15 outputter instead of the HD-15 outputter I actually need?

Wonderful.

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:15 PM

Just looked it up. My monitor has the HD-15 type. But all the adapters on the market still call it a VGA plug.

Does this mean that there's a chance I could buy something with a VGA output and still wind up with problems because I've got myself a DE-15 outputter instead of the HD-15 outputter I actually need?

Wonderful.

DE-15 and HD-15 are the same - aka marketing as "VGA".

Edited by Jeruselem, 02 December 2016 - 04:19 PM.

Cortana at your service

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,796 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 09:21 AM

Okay, but I obviously don't have USB ports on my graphics card, so essentially, the picture data has to come back out of the card via the PCI Express slot, through the motherboard and then out the USB sockets. That actually works?

I've never had an arrangement where the picture data doesn't come directly from the graphics card, so this is all new to me.

Yep!

I assume this is just an 'extra' monitor, and doesn't need GPU power, otherwise you wouldn't be running it over VGA.

So yep, if it's just to display things, the USB converter shows up as a GPU itself, and runs monitors.

I've had great success with them.

I'd try a passive adapter first though. Even though DisplayPort doesnt require VGA signals anymore (IIRC) most of them do still output them.

But by the time you spend $10 on an adaptor, its probably worth spending the $30 on a second hand monitor with DVI, so you KNOW you can passive adapt it.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#14 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:35 PM

OP, DP++ only helps if you need DVI or HDMI out of your DP connection. Nothing to do with connecting to analogue displays.

Even though DisplayPort doesnt require VGA signals anymore (IIRC) most of them do still output them.

Part of the DP spec includes a mode where the port outputs raw 24-bit RGB frames to go into an outboard DAC.

Displayport-to-VGA chips are cheap though (like, under a dollar per unit in high volumes), which is why adaptors can be cheap, despite being active.

http://www.digikey.c...playport to VGA

I assume this is just an 'extra' monitor, and doesn't need GPU power, otherwise you wouldn't be running it over VGA.

|
v

Note: I only want to connect the card to this one monitor, not two or three.

I initially thought that the Samsung SyncMaster 940N might have been a nice high-end CRT, but it's just a 19" LCD. :(
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#15 Roscosity

Roscosity

Initiate

• Quark
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:31 PM

Hi, if you've purchased a 1070, I would really look into investing in at least a DVI-D monitor, you can get a cheap second hand one for around the same price as some of the adapters you've listed.

VGA will really limit the ability of your card, and it seems a strange matchup

My honest suggestion would be to ditch the monitor altogether, and get a DVI-D monitor for that $50

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,796 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:32 PM

You'll find 19" LCD monitors on gumtree as giveaway; and they'd likely at least have DVI.

#17 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

VGA will really limit the ability of your card, and it seems a strange matchup

Using VGA won't limit anything, extremely high resolution CRTs existed before digital display interfaces were relevant.

The real limitation here will be the 1280x1024 (or smaller) display being used here, and the fact that it's quite old, and has a probably-not-very-good grey-to-grey response, despite supporting 75Hz vertical refresh.

Edited by SquallStrife, 07 December 2016 - 03:47 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#18 Camsie

Camsie

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Thanks everyone. I managed to get up an running just a few days before Xmas with a $9.40 Displayport to VGA cable.

Through my various enquiries I actually heard back from the people who actually invented and administer the Displayport system and they informed me that all Displayport to VGA adapters are infact "active" adapters. So it turns out all the confusion I had about that market was all for naught, as there's only really the one type! :p

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: VGA, GTX1070, Nvidia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users