• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure what to get. It's been a while and I've had great use out of some Altec Lansing 221s (2.1) but it is now time to upgrade (as I have effectively blown them out!)

I have a Xonar Essence STX card.

Been looking at the Logitech Z623 2.1 set up, as well as the Audio Engine A2+.

What would others suggest?

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

I reckon if you're going to lash out a bit then at least do a 5.1 setup.  I did a homebrew 5.1 using old + new (at the time) speakers and it's a worthy improvement though I had cables going everywhere and the placement wasn't possible for it to be a proper job.  But if you can achieve a semblence of correct layout then it's worth a shot.

#3 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:31 PM

An interesting idea. I hadn't considered this very seriously, partly due to not wanting cables everywhere. Worth a look, perhaps

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

I'm going to suggest some Rokkit 8's.

https://www.storedj....ducts/KRK-RP8G3

Blows your 2.1 setups out of the water.

Rokkit 6's are pretty good too if you don't have the desk space.

https://www.storedj....ducts/KRK-RP6G3

I agree. always 'upgrade' never just replace....

Once you start getting "real speakers" you never go back. the difference is night and day.

As the old 'movie rule' goes; viewers will tolerate bad video. They wont tolerate bad audio.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:05 AM

Sure do got themselves a pricetag.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

Sure do got themselves a pricetag.

EDIT: I'm happy to admit, you've hit the on aspect of enjoying media (games movies music, anything) that I dont like to skimp on. I LOVE my audio; so I'm happy to accept my ideas are overkill :P.

Cheap for active studio monitors. And nothing brings games and movies to life like an 8" woofer.

In speakers there really is no replacement for size.

Besides, I keep speakers for 5+ years. often more. So that's not a bad cost of ownership at all.

If you wait for a sale, or get the Rokkit 6's, you have about $75 a year ownership.

A-OK considering how much I use my PC and it's Speakers. (music and games equally)

Biggest problem at the moment is that few decent PC brands makes an "acceptable" speaker. they're all either bass focused to be "dramatic", or trebel shifted for 'clarity'.

Logitech are the worst for both of these; brand depending.

If you have to go a PC brand;

What I have on the 2nd PC, for a 'cheap' audio setup are these:

http://au.creative.c...s-t40-series-ii

$140

http://www.msy.com.a...0-speakers.html

They out mid-bass any 2.1 setup I've heard, and the clarity is about the best I think you'll find with a 2.1 setup.

Since he has a proper sound card; he can add a rear channel any time.

He should also be able to add a dedicated powered sub, any time.

Trick withall audio systems, is that unless you're buying a $5k+ system, usually 'mixing and matching' will end up with a MUCH more pleasant sound.

and for cheaper!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 20 December 2016 - 09:39 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

I use a set of these for my gaming and movies, good set of speakers, just no sub but surprisingly good response so i didnt see the need for a sub.
M-Audio studio monitors 

https://www.jbhifi.c...onitors/999599/

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:34 AM

I use a set of these for my gaming and movies, good set of speakers, just no sub but surprisingly good response so i didnt see the need for a sub.
M-Audio studio monitors 

Now they're probably not bad.

Maudio have always impressed me for the price...

#9 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:42 AM

M-Audio studio monitors 

Now they're probably not bad.

Maudio have always impressed me for the price...

Yeah great for their price and can turn them right up and get loud, Combine them with the m-audio subwoofer and you would not need anything else, Biggest issue with them is you either need a XLR to 3.5mm cable or a 6.5mm to 3.5mm.You can buy the patch leads cheap on ebay around $15.
Have had them for 5 years now and still go great. Would not disappoint you. 

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#10 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

EDIT: I'm happy to admit, you've hit the on aspect of enjoying media (games movies music, anything) that I dont like to skimp on. I LOVE my audio; so I'm happy to accept my ideas are overkill :P.

They out mid-bass any 2.1 setup I've heard, and the clarity is about the best I think you'll find with a 2.1 setup.

My ears are not that great any more - chemo fried 'em, and gave me tinnitus to boot. :p  Better than the alternative I guess, but I do miss my sense of balance.

Even before that, though, I wasn't aware of bass being particularly hard to come by - size of  cone just about clinches it, unless you want to get all audiophoolish about it.  Having a set of tweeters that can make angels cry, otoh...  Too many just hit 'tinny'.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#11 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,403 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:36 AM

I used to have 5.1 speaker system but no room for it when I started using laptops.

Edited by Jeruselem, 21 December 2016 - 07:39 AM.

Cortana at your service

#12 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thank you all for the good suggestions and food for thought. I like the sound (no pun intended) of the Rokkit 8s but they might stretch my budget. Have considered logitech 2.1 speakers (z623) but I do live in an apartment building so I might steer away from a sub. Also, at 200w they do suck a lot of power.

Now considering the audio engine a2+

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 02:55 PM

OOOOOO A2+'s get a good wrap.

I haven't heard them extensively, but the little play time I've had with them was VERY clear.

Though I'm not sure if I'd put them much above the Creative T40 for their extra cost....

If the Rokkit8's are 'close' consider the Rokkit 6's at a little less cost. a 6" cone will still make a hell of a good thump.

Best thing, there's a StoreDJ in most states, so hopefully you're able to go in and listen before you buy :)

Really all a thread like this can do is give you names to check out, reviews are fairly worthless unless you know the person GIVING the review has 'similar ears' when it comes to musical tone.

I'll be interested to hear what you decide on, and how they sound for you :)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 21 December 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#14 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

I haven't heard them extensively, but the little play time I've had with them was VERY clear.

Though I'm not sure if I'd put them much above the Creative T40 for their extra cost....

If the Rokkit8's are 'close' consider the Rokkit 6's at a little less cost. a 6" cone will still make a hell of a good thump.

Best thing, there's a StoreDJ in most states, so hopefully you're able to go in and listen before you buy :)

Really all a thread like this can do is give you names to check out, reviews are fairly worthless unless you know the person GIVING the review has 'similar ears' when it comes to musical tone.

Well, it is done! I ended up visiting a couple of DJ stores including StoreDJ which was such a good idea.

The first DJ place I visited showed me the Rokits and a couple of others, including Behringers. The salesperson very quickly dismissed the lot in favour of a 2.1 system waaaaay out of my price-range and completely unsuitable for an apartment. I walked out.

Far too much online research later and I had whittled it down to Audioengine A2s or A5s, Rokit 5 or 6, Swan M200MKIII, and M-Audio Bx5 Carbon. I won't go into all the pros and cons I identified here but speaker footprint was certainly a consideration which meant I was more inclined toward 5 inch monitors.

At StoreDj I heard the M-Audios and Rokits once more, but was also shown the Presonus Eris 5s and good lord to they sound gorgeous! I now have a pair set up and the difference compared to my old Altec Lansings is ridiculous. Hooray for beautiful sound!

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:33 AM

Well, it is done! I ended up visiting a couple of DJ stores including StoreDJ which was such a good idea.

The first DJ place I visited showed me the Rokits and a couple of others, including Behringers. The salesperson very quickly dismissed the lot in favour of a 2.1 system waaaaay out of my price-range and completely unsuitable for an apartment. I walked out.

Far too much online research later and I had whittled it down to Audioengine A2s or A5s, Rokit 5 or 6, Swan M200MKIII, and M-Audio Bx5 Carbon. I won't go into all the pros and cons I identified here but speaker footprint was certainly a consideration which meant I was more inclined toward 5 inch monitors.

At StoreDj I heard the M-Audios and Rokits once more, but was also shown the Presonus Eris 5s and good lord to they sound gorgeous! I now have a pair set up and the difference compared to my old Altec Lansings is ridiculous. Hooray for beautiful sound!

Great outcome mate, happy for you :)

I've always been a believer in 'upgrading' when it comes to audio\video experience. You never really 'enjoy' a new purchase if it's just more of the same.

I remember back in the late 90's when I was just getting into PC's truly hardcore, and someone telling me "a good 2.0 will sound better than a 2.1" and I scoffed at it.

Then I started hunting around!

I have not heard the 'Presonus Eris 5s', you say they're at StoreDJ? I might pop by my local one and have a listen. I'm due for new speakers myself.

They high end creative's i'm using....They're fine.... just stale to my ears by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users