• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,747 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:06 AM

After scratching my head as to why a 2015 car was able to exist without Bluetooth Audio Streaming, I had a look around at different options.

I didn't want a mess of cables in the car cabin, it looks ugly, and a potential area of failure. Utilising the existing Steering Wheel Controls (SWC) is important as well.

I've looked at the various Parrot options, but they are very dated, and don't offer SWC for my vehicle.

Most other options include plugging things into the 12V socket, of which I have one, and it's smack bang in the middle of everything (bad placement, it's right in the way of the transmission shifter)

I'd either need a 12V socket installed into the glovebox or the centre console, the centre console isn't very big, so the Glove box would be better.

Putting in a bluetooth-enabled head unit was another idea, you can get come capable single-DIN units fairly cheaply, but they can look garish, even when you use an appropriate fascia kit, but these days, on base model cars, they are easy enough to swap in and out, especially as you can get wiring harness adaptors (and SWC) for just about every make and model of car on the market.

I was thinking about navigation as well, but I've gotten used to Google Maps running on my phone, and the Navi head units are expensive and clunky and there's a lot of conflict between the brands.

So naturally, once I happened upon Android Auto, I thought I'd found the answer. But the head units were almost as expensive as the Navi units. Android Auto basically takes control of your phone (via USB), and displays it on the unit's screen, and gives you access to telephony, messaging, music and navigation, with the voice assistant, plus preserving or allowing customisation of your Steering Wheel Controls. You cannot access your phone directly while it's plugged in, which at first I thought was dumb, but then I thought, it's probably safer that way, as all the functions I need are on the head unit anyway, I can pop the phone away in the glovebox.

Then I found the Sony XAV-AX100, which is a fair bit cheaper (probably doesn't have all the bells and whistles) and it also has Apple Car Play for those so inclined. http://www.sony.com....ayers/xav-ax100 It also has a rear-camera input.

What do people think of Android Auto? There doesn't seem to be a better option for my money.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:05 AM

Haven't seen or used it but from what I've read it should be good.  Some cars have it from the factory.

Pretty sure you can get angled cig lighter plugs but still it's a shitty interface for leeching electrons and like you said creates a spagetti mess.

Of course though the problem with virtually all aftermarket stereos is that on 99% of cars they won't match the contours or looks of the console so will likely look like it doesn't belong there.

I suppose at least with a touch-screen it shouldn't have the stupid light effects that for some unknown reason they insist on inflicting on us.

#3 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,747 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:34 PM

I went to JB to have a play with the Sony XAV-AX100 this morning, and there was another guy there looking at Android Auto head units, after his Kenwood one had a compatibility issue with his new Pixel phone (yeah............. Google......)

I like it, but the unit (even on special) and the install with all the bits will run to over a thousand, and an extra $300 if I want a decent reversing camera fitted too.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:12 AM

Ive used it.

I prefer to just have 'Mirroring' supported on the device.

I know how to use my phone.

It rules out your steering wheel controls though.

Forgot the camera, they're for people who can't use mirrors or have neck  problems.

I've had a few "I didnt see you on my camera" incidents when I'm just beyond 45*..

Off camera, but not off arc for the turn radius.....

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:14 AM

Forgot the camera, they're for people who can't use mirrors or have neck  problems.

Reversing cameras aren't a replacement for mirrors and direct viewing, they're complimentary. Anyone claiming otherwise is a git.

My car came from the factory with one, and truth be told I only glance at it right at the end to triple-check how close I am to whatever is behind me. (e.g. I can't see my towbar from the drivers' seat, mirrors or otherwise. The Ford one has a very fisheye lens too, so I can see the entire rear bumper AND the horizon in one view.)

There's also the obvious applications of reversing trucks and things with an obscured rear view. Before cameras you might have needed a spotter to reverse into an unfamiliar space.

Reversing using ONLY the camera is pretty much negligence, I dunno if it's been tested, but I strongly suspect that a judge would agree.

Edited by SquallStrife, 09 January 2017 - 11:17 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:16 AM

Reversing cameras aren't a replacement for mirrors and direct viewing, they're complimentary. Anyone claiming otherwise is a git.

My car came from the factory with one, and truth be told I only glance at it right at the end to triple-check how close I am to whatever is behind me. (e.g. I can't see my towbar from the drivers' seat, mirrors or otherwise)

There's also the obvious applications of reversing trucks and things with an obscured rear view. Before cameras you might have needed a spotter to reverse into an unfamiliar space.

True that.

Though I dont think trucking companies trust them; they still require a spotter legally.

I'd have liked if they stopped at 'beeper when close'. rather than another screen for distracted drivers to lock their vision onto.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,747 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:00 AM

I love using the reversing camera in the 300C, I can back that thing anywhere, and it's like a tank. (Also, it's rear-view mirrors automatically dip so you can see the ground behind you as well)

I was more after a reversing camera that can switch between wide-angle and towball.

Edited by smadge1, 12 January 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:55 AM

300C's are pretty nice to drive though.

They're so square, and the mirrors are well placed; you can park them with personally poor vision using only one mirror and land it perfectly every time (speaking from experience).

Dont get me wrong, I think reverse cameras are cool, I watch them intently when others park.

I just think, much like 'park assist' we're going to see more and more people who can't reverse with a mirror....

#9 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:31 PM

300C is a doozy. I'd have preferred if GM pushed a specced-down version of that as the replacement for the Commodore, than the Opel Insignia.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

300C is a doozy. I'd have preferred if GM pushed a specced-down version of that as the replacement for the Commodore, than the Opel Insignia.

You should go for a pull in the highway patrol turbocharged Hemi 300C....... lets just say, it may as well not have a top speed.....

#11 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,747 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 10:33 AM

The 300C limo I drive is the diesel version, but it's still pretty powerful.

Ok, so what I have today is the Sony RM-X7BT. It cost me $129 from JB HiFi (Plus I had to buy a USB-C/A Charger)

After installing it, I tidied up the cabling with a bit of velcro I had lying around.  It's not the elegant solution I want, but it will do for now.

The round remote is just that, an IR remote, it needs to be fairly proximate to the "BOX" which contains the IR Receiver, the Bluetooth radio and the Line Out/Mic In ports, powered by a MicroUSB port.

The remote is very handy, it's IR, so it can be powered by a CR2032 battery for over a year, it's holder is stuck down, but you can unclip it if you don't want it to be seen.  It's got a NFC chip in it for simple Bluetooth pairing. You can also twist the remote to change the "Bluetooth media" volume.

I have the Standalone Android Auto app setup on my phone, set to activate when it connects to the RM-X7BT.

C2QGAStVEAAlfFC.jpg

So this is what I'm gonna use until I can afford the new head unit.  The leasing company said I was fine to install the head unit or whatever I want, but I can't claim it.  A proper installation would be non-destructive, and I can easily restore the stock head unit at the end of the lease if required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users