Photo

Home theater - music visualiser on tv possible?

Fredzfrog rules! ;

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:14 PM

G'day folks! Long time no see!

Anyhoo, i've finally grown up and gotten myself a propper home theater setup (it was cheap on ebay :p)
Anyhoo, i've gotten a vinyl addiction, and am greatly enjoying the frustrations that come with diligently cleaning and flipping the disks, but other than the audio output, I need something a little bit more.

What I'd like is a music visualiser box that has an rca input and output, then plugs into my TV to show some sweet sweet visualisations.
Anyone have any ideas on where I'd find such a thing?
Something new like this.. But not super expensive..
https://youtu.be/LVF-TDITMBA
Increases your chance of love by 75.3%

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,145 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:21 PM

As it would happen I was about to suggest that.  No idea if anyone's made a modern day recreation but those things are somewhat rare and probably not cheap.

No idea if dedicated boxes exist to do the same... there has been evolution, in the mid 1980s Jeff Minter created Colourspace which was a light synth program though it didn't take musical input, it was user controlled.  And as we all know the likes of the PS1 music player and WMP visualisation effects are later evolutions.

Maybe it's been recreated in the modern era on the likes of Arduino, RasPi etc.  If so, you might scrape in under 100 bucks for such a setup as you've described.

#3 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

Thanks mate.. Fugger. I'm surprised there isn't one for DJ's. I may have to dig a bit further.

#4 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,437 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:26 PM

my first thought is, HDMI out from a RaspPi 2 running something like VSUx Player

i havent tried it, so i dont know if the VideoCore IV 3D graphics core on the Pi fits the minimum spec of "OpenGL compatible graphics card. Min 128MB" but it might.

but WAIT -- oops, the Pi has no audio in...so maybe a similar little dev board size thingy, or an old laptop...

no pung intended

#5 fredzfrog

fredzfrog

Guru

• Hero
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, rybags put me onto the idea of a r pi, hmm, may be a good idea to go visit goth :)

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,145 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:07 PM

In theory you could just sample via an 8-bit ADC or 2 at a lowish rate, it should still give sufficient detail for an effects processing algorithm.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,616 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, rybags put me onto the idea of a r pi, hmm, may be a good idea to go visit goth :)

Goth... now there's a name.....

Make them stop in!!!!!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users