Photo

Core i7 860 still useful?

Best Answer Master_Scythe, 09 January 2017 - 11:49 AM

Yes.

1st Gen i3's manage medium settings.

And 1st Gen i5's will still keep up with a GTX1080 without becoming a CPU bottleneck.

Absolute worst case scenario, you might need to disable CPU intensive graphics improvements (some games have "advanced physics" engines, like PhysX used to be) but they're few and far between. Some use CPU for 'Specular Bloom'.

May even just drop back a DirectX version if stuff got bad, there's usually an option to do that, but I think this is just all talk. I can't honestly think of a title that CPU wouldn't be fine with.

an i7 860 should beast through everything, no drama.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

I barely keep up with PC gaming hardware (preferring to choose between Athlons and Pentium 3's, but I digress...)

A friend of mine wants to build a gaming PC on the cheap.

I had a rummage and found some stuff, two P55A-UD3 mobos, and two Core i7 860 CPUs.

Is this gen of Core i7 any good? If we went out and got like a GTX 1060, some more RAM, an SSD, and a case and PSU, will they be able to do most recent stuff at 1080p with med-high detail?

Edited by SquallStrife, 09 January 2017 - 11:38 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:49 AM   Best Answer

Yes.

1st Gen i3's manage medium settings.

And 1st Gen i5's will still keep up with a GTX1080 without becoming a CPU bottleneck.

Absolute worst case scenario, you might need to disable CPU intensive graphics improvements (some games have "advanced physics" engines, like PhysX used to be) but they're few and far between. Some use CPU for 'Specular Bloom'.

May even just drop back a DirectX version if stuff got bad, there's usually an option to do that, but I think this is just all talk. I can't honestly think of a title that CPU wouldn't be fine with.

an i7 860 should beast through everything, no drama.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:53 AM

Nice find there!

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

As a thought... What core are those?

There is one specific core, and I dont recall which, that can only use 256kb memory IC's.... and they're impossible to find above 2GB; so you might get stuck with a 4 or 6GB machine, and buying second hand ram (even new 2GB stick are 512KB)

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

...256KB?

Is this like the old single sided vs double sided thing from SDR days?
四時半を待っています!

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

...256KB?

Is this like the old single sided vs double sided thing from SDR days?

Sort of. And WHOOPS, I meant MB.

Yes, some of the architecture of i series chips can't handle 512MB chips on the RAM modules.

as a fun note, there was almost never a 'single vs double sided' issue on modern things.

That was a laymans way of 'guessing' if it had lots of small 256MB IC's or only a few 512MB IC's.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 January 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#7 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

I wouldn't say SDR is "modern" at this stage. ;)
四時半を待っています!

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

So in short anyway, find out what architecture those CPUs are, and report back.

We'll try and dig up if they can use 512MB IC's, if they can, I have someone who might want to buy one off you (and the matching board).

If you were interested, of course.

#9 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

They are Lynnfield, the first Socket 1156 Core i7's.

FWIW the manual for the mobos says it supports 16GB in a 4x4GB configuration.

Edited by SquallStrife, 09 January 2017 - 02:33 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

They are Lynnfield, the first Socket 1156 Core i7's.

FWIW the manual for the mobos says it supports 16GB in a 4x4GB configuration.

It's so hard to find information on max supported IC size for the darn memory controller..... I've been looking between clients while at work here, and it's not an easy search term.

Reason I know its relevant though, is because on my housemates IvyBridge CPU we couldn't buy ram for her, at all. 256MB per IC addressing limit.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 January 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#11 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:07 PM

Didn't you say that the issue pertains to 2GB sticks?

The manual says this board supports 4GB sticks (i.e. 4x4GB for 16GB).

Should be alright, no?
四時半を待っています!

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:30 PM

Didn't you say that the issue pertains to 2GB sticks?

The manual says this board supports 4GB sticks (i.e. 4x4GB for 16GB).

Should be alright, no?

Nope, there were 4GB sticks using 16X256MB IC's by the end, just very few and far between. IvyBridge (which I THINK was what also had that limit) listed 8GB sticks as being OK, all it really meant was it had enough (whats the correct word.... lanes?) to support that many ranks on a single stick; but that didnt say much about the IC's on the sticks.

It was a nightmarish time, and something Intel and RAM manufactures shouldn't have ever let happen.....

What I meant earlier was, you'll only really find 2GB sticks with 256MB IC's on them, and they'll have to be OLD. Current 2GB sticks are 4X512, not 8X256.

Bigger are out there, but people who know what they are ask big money.

EDIT: That said, 4~6GB of ram will play most games fine, especially if he uses SteamOS to play them.

Also, a quote from the famous "Ram Guy" from the Corsair forums; while not very technical, may suggest you'll be OK....

"Actually only Core I7 Quad channel series CPU's will support 64 Gig Core I5 D/C CPU's are limited to 32 Gig because of the number of slots and Core I3 only support 16 Gig of memory and the modules have to made with IC's no larger than 256 X8 Memory IC's so that would 4.0 Gig double rank modules or 16 Gig total. If the MB you have only has two slots then you would be limited to 8.0 Gig of Ram for Core I3 CPU's"

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 January 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#13 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:01 PM

Well I've found anecdotal evidence of people using 8GB DIMMs.

That would *have* to be 16x512MB ICs.
四時半を待っています!

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:20 PM

If both mobo's and both CPU's work, as I said, I have a mte who might give you something for one of them (pair).

#15 nobody813

nobody813

Champion

• Atomican
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

My 2c

It's still a decent chip, but it will be noticeably slower than newer CPU's in a lot of modern titles if you want to crank the CPU intensive details up. Take GTA V as an example (link is a graph showing benchmark results with a GTX 970) of a popular modern AAA game; a 4th gen budget i3 nets better performance. Overclocking it (something that would be worth doing) to 4GHz does help a fair bit, with the performance now in spitting distance with a Core i5 2500k at stock settings, so that is something to take into account too. Plus there are a lot of games that will be GPU bottlenecked even with a "slow" CPU. Just look at the many people still using Core 2 Quad's, 1st Gen quad core i5's and i7's and Phenom II's in their systems even with modern GPU's quite happily. So I'd say the chip would make a nice base for a budget gaming PC, just don't be surprised if a modern graphics card doesn't perform as well as it has in reviews with newer CPU's

TLDR: Yes it's still a decent chip than will make a nice budget gaming system, especially if it's overclocked, but don't expect to max out everything with a modern mainstream GPU in ALL titles

Edited by nobody813, 09 January 2017 - 06:43 PM.

"Nobody, including Nobody, knows what Nobody is doing..." - millen

Intel Core i7 4790K | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill Ares DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB | Cogage Arrow | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | 2TB + 1TB Seagate 7200.14's | Corsair RM650i | Fractal Design Arc Midi

#16 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I've got an i7-870 sitting on the floor next to me, it's pretty quick and I tried some OC'ing for an easy 4 GHz some time ago.

Really, it would be interesting to know just how much better at equivalent clock speeds the current gen i7 are than the first gen.  Sure, the modern ones might have more cache, nice stuff like USB 3 and PCIe 2.0 or better but for pure number-crunching I doubt there'd be more than 10% difference.

#17 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:57 PM

when i upgraded from 3770k to 6700k i ran a few tests

its safe to say that the i7 860 is further behind 3770k than the 3770k is behind the 6700k

fallout4%20cpu%20vs%20ram.png

Arma%20III%20cpu%20vs%20ram.png

gpu limited game

Rainbow%20Six%20Siege%20cpu%20vs%20ram.p

this review has the i5 760 which wouldnt be much slower than the i7 860 in this game

they also show the i5 760 overclocked at which point it would definitely be faster than a stock i7 860

http://translate.goo...KdxV3Ipyk5qJekQ

f4_cpu_nv.png

in short yes its still a perfectly capable cpu in a lot of modern games that are gpu heavy

there is definitely better options for cpu hungry games but overclocking it will help

Edited by Dasa, 19 January 2017 - 11:23 AM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#18 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,939 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:29 AM

Cheers dude.

Yeah, I realise that it's not a magical progress-defying unicorn CPU, but by re-using this CPU and mobo, we can save the person a decent $300ish, which will help them a lot.
四時半を待っています!

#19 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

most games are a bit like the r6 test where it will run 60fps + with a oc provided the gpu can keep up

there is just a few cpu heavy games where it will dip to around 30fps at times

spare parts are a great option i was just trying to give an idea of where its limits lie

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users