• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:42 PM

So, after months of teasing, hoping, excitement, some had doubt, some (like me) always had faith... and finally it's confirmed.

The Blackberry, still code-named 'Mercury', has been confirmed and teased.

While exact specs aren't out there yet, there has been geekbench tests spotted, and it does more than OK for 'non gamer' phone users. IRC people expect a Snapdragon 821 (or was that 825?) whichever is the "most energy efficient" of the current Gen; 3500+mah battery, and 3GB of Ram.

It's all guesses, but they're from sources who are seldom wrong in the BB scene.

Without further delay;

blackberry-mercury-pre-production-12.jpg

blackberry-mercury-pre-production-16.jpg

And there are plenty more to be had in the Hands On teaser.

http://crackberry.co...n&utm_source=cb

So, this wouldn't be a post by me without some sort of personal opinion, would it? :P

I'll start with the obvious CON's because while I'm an optimist, I can see the critics already:

- Odd shape, means black bars in videos, or cropping.

- Much thicker than most phones.

- Lost screen realestate

- dedicated 'android' buttons?!

To counter those,

- I don't watch video on my phone, on the odd occasion I do, It's comedy youtube stuff where 'cinematic brilliance' isn't of concern.

- Its thicker for the (supposed) 3500mah+ battery; In a recent discussion with a lot of people (here & reddit included), most people agreed phones are too thin to be comfortable to hold anyway.

- As I use my phone 90% as a communication device, the 'lost real estate' is usually lost ANYWAY to an OSK, so a physical doing the job isn't much different. (except in the use; *swoon*)

And I can't defend the button choice. It was probably driven by screen size\dimensions. They had to fill that gap with something.

I guess it does make sure the whole display is interactive, as opposed to when Android has the on screen buttons, and you can't use the last 7mm of the display...... Eh, a small quibble I think.

At the end of the day, this isn't going to be for everyone.

It'll be for the people who type on the phone. Literally.

If I had a dollar for every user who's recently exclaimed about their phone keyboard, or had to send me a message twice because the first had a typo, I'd have probably $100 this month alone.

So, as my friend group get older, and end up using their phones for emails and facebook messages more than pictures of food, and cat videos, I can see this appealing more and more.

I think it'll do better than people expect.

Not as well as I'd like....

But better than last time.

Full Android N, a 'convenience button' on the side (most will use for camera, I assume, or dictaphone, or Push-To-Talk (which is still used on corporate sites believe it or not.....).

With that carbon back, we're going to see decent reception I bet ya.

Well, I'm excited for it anyway.....

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 January 2017 - 01:43 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

There's no snapdragon 825, you must be referring to the 835. The 821 and 820 are virtually the same, except the 821 is only 10% faster than the 820.

https://www.qualcomm.../processors/835

Edited by Jeruselem, 09 January 2017 - 01:56 PM.

Having trouble with A [?]OS11.1?

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

I'll admit I dont know my mobile processors well.

All I've absorbed has been from people in much more know than me talking about it, and me reading between the lines

"Gee, thats not top of the line, why not use processor XYZ?"

"Because Processor ABC is almost as fast, but 20% more efficient, they're focusing on battery life"

"Ah good point"

etc.

Specs are still out there, but people are guessing based on geekbench.

geekbench-mercury.png?itok=8lI0eyq-

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

821 is a quad core, 835 is a octacore. Benchmarks show a octacore CPU so I think it's the 835.

ARM cpus don't have hyperhreading, that's an Intel thing.

Edited by Jeruselem, 09 January 2017 - 02:38 PM.

2018 FIFA World Cup Russia - Australia in but Italy, Chile, Netherlands, USA = FAIL.

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

821 is a quad core, 835 is a octacore. Benchmarks show a octacore CPU so I think it's the 835.

Is the 835 "notably power efficient" but not the fastest? Because that's been hinted at more than once.....

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Is the 835 "notably power efficient" but not the fastest? Because that's been hinted at more than once.....

835 is 10nm, 821 is 14nm so it should more power efficient. 835 has 4 higher power cores, the other 4 are lower cores. 821 has 2 higher power cores and two lower. On paper, it looks real good!

Intel CPUs can vary their speed, but all cores run at the same speed. An ARM SOC has many cores but they don't change speed. They switch cores according to load so the cores get shutdown and activated according to load.

Edited by Jeruselem, 09 January 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

835 is 10nm, 821 is 14nm so it should more power efficient. 835 has 4 higher power cores, the other 4 are lower cores. 821 has 2 higher power cores and two lower. On paper, it looks real good!

Intel CPUs can vary their speed, but all cores run at the same speed. An ARM SOC has many cores but they don't change speed. They switch cores according to load so the cores get shutdown and activated according to load.

Well yeah, that makes sense then.

It's funny. While i'm overjoyed to have a keyboard coming back for me; I'm actually more.... relieved? Probably not the right emotion, but close to it.... to see a different form factor.

I can't express how much I've been saddened by seeing more and more 'flat glass, small battery' devices coming out.

just to see another option. something different. It just warms my heart like a genuine heater inside the soul.

Innovation is NOT dead, people are NOT 'sheep' and companies ARE willing to be 'different' even if only on ONE device, it's something.

I'm going to make sure my next TV is a TCL, just to continue to support their company moving forward (and they make some damn nice TV's)

If only the had the COURAGE to remove the headphone jack, without that COURAGE, how can a company possibly move forward.

I mean, Isolating probably 90% of the current audio connectivity devices can only be smart.... </sarcasm>

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 January 2017 - 03:00 PM.

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

They'd better not do what happened to the priv, overprice it.

Edited by Jeruselem, 09 January 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

They'd better not do what happened to the priv, overprice it.

I saw a rough price breakdown on a live BBM chat with some users for the PRIV, it wasn't nearly as overpriced as people thought. There was a LOT of 'in house' (read: Canadian wages) that went into making that phone.

Not to mention, competition for a slider QWERTY phone? anyone? That allows for a small price hike.

But even than, flagship to flagship, it was still the cheapest of them all. Galaxy EDGE, and iPhone 6S (as were the release competitors) were still WELL above Priv's price-range outright.

The failing point fo the PRIV were lack of advertisement (despite STILL being available from Optus on a fairly cheap plan), and the small battery.

Mercury will fix one of those (batt), lets just hope they fix the other also.....

#10 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

BLACKBERRY KEYone

So, at 4AM on Sunday Morning, during a live stream, this was "launched" Should be in stores by April, apparently.

All the rumored specs are true; I'm going to BOLD all that impressed me.

About the only sad face I got, was 3GB of ram, not 4GB, but with Android N's better management, hopefully I'll never notice.

stock-keyone-2.jpg

Display: IPS, 4.5-inch, 1620x1080 (434ppi)
CPU:  Qualcomm Snapdragon 625
RAM:     3GB
Storage:     32GB (+ microSD up to 2TB)
Rear Camera     12MP (1.55 micron) f/2.0, PDAF, dual-tone LED flash, HDR, 4K, 30fps
Front Camera     8MP f/2.2, 1.12-micron pixels, Selfie flash, 1080p/30 video
Battery     3505 mAh (non-removable)
Port: USB-C, 3.5mm Headphone
Connectivity:  Wi-Fi 802.11ac, 5GHz, Bluetooth 4.2 LE, NFC, GPS, GLONASS, NFC, FM Radio

Network: LTE Band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/19/20/28/29/30 + TD-LTE Band 38/39/40/41
Dimensions     149.1 mm x 72.39 mm x 9.4 mm
Weight     180 grams

If you follow the crackberry forums, this thing has been field tested quite widely, and that combo of 4.5"+625+3505mah has proven to handle 2 days of very heavy use with ease.

All this, for $549USB (so about $750AUD) outright.... I couldn't be happier.

Time to keep an eye on ozbargain for a cheap 200GB MicroSD (they're popping up regularly at the moment), and get hyped!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch and read more Crackberry articles on this, the Blackberry KEYone, which I'm hoping means, they expect a KEYtwo

EDIT:

OK, I tried, but nope, I'm going to burst if I don't give a bit of personal opinion on this.

It's fucking perfect. I use a Galaxy Note 4 right now, along side my Blackberry Passport; and if its one thing I can say, the Note has never seen a single ounce of lag. I can multitask pokemon go, mp3 playing, receive an email, and txt message, and get 0 lag.

While the new BB is slightly slower in raw clock speed, we have an additional 2 cores, and newer instruction sets, I think they aced the CPU choice for battery life and so we won't see lag.

Battery? My god yes, I'm just happy to finally have a device (since the passport) that I know I can go out and come home with power left. That along with the new 'Boost to Charge' feature, where the phone locks itself in the lowest C state while charging, is genius. 50% in half an hour, they claim. Im sure you can disable it, and maybe screen-on or unlock will automatically disable it? But while its idle and hard wired, why allow speed at the cost of charge? Genious.... just brilliant....

I'm just watching all the 'new' hands ons and re watching the live event, and can't wait to show a few mates who were skeptical (but pure business users) the physical keyboard vs touch keyboard 'screen space' comparison. You really do get more screen space at 4.5" than a 5.2" does, with the onscreen keyboard up.

As business users, they're always typing, so 95% of the time, keyboard is up.

The blackberry HUB is of course, there too, but literally every Android user I've shown the HUB has installed it and used it anyway, so nothing to show them there, I'm just hoping its a little more integrated.

I don't think anyone I know has ever argued the HUB is pretty much perfect and switched to it full time.

They promise to keep up to date, on a monthly basis with security patches, something basically no one do at the moment (maybe the pixel\nexus devices, but not much else).

And while people bitch and moan about the $549 USB (750AUD) price point, because "wahh the specs arent as high as others", as above, have a fucking whinge. You're being guaranteed battery life in exchange, and I really do doubt the accusations that people will see lag or anything even close to it with a 625 in there. Unless you videogame on your phone, I can't see it coming up.

Yep, its about $100 more than other phones with identical processing specs..... but the keyboard is easily worth at least $50 of that, and the rest, well, call it early adopter hype money.

Fuck I'm pumped!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 27 February 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#11 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:06 AM

Gee, that's a lot of LTE bands

#12 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:23 PM

Gee, that's a lot of LTE bands

And that only on GSM, If I'd left the CDMA and other bands in there too, there's more!

#13 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

Oh, 1620x1080 = 1920x1080 (spotted a typo)

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

I think you're wrong there, 1920x1080 isn't 3:2 anymore..... that's a 16:9....

So I think they're right in this instance; 1620x1080 = 3:2 = correct

Edited by Master_Scythe, 27 February 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#15 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

This 3:2 seems to be a thing these days it seems

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:49 PM

This 3:2 seems to be a thing these days it seems

I think iphones 1~4s made it popular.

And now, the Microsoft Surfaces, and the Chromebook Pixel.

And I have to admit, when consuming web pages, books, manuals, basically anything you'd normally get in printed media (so, everything minus video), it's better than 16:9; at least IMO

Edited by Master_Scythe, 27 February 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#17 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

I guess a squarish screen is best for that, assuming it's not the size of postage stamp like the Nokia 3310.

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

Many outlets have chosen the device as their Best Of, Editor's Pick, Top Pick and more in various different categories. Folks such as SlashGear, Talk Android, Android Authority, IT Pro, Chip Chick, TechAdvisorUK and even our colleagues over at Android Central and MrMobile have shown BlackBerry Mobile and the BlackBerry KEYone lots of love and no doubt, there's likely a few more coming as well!

blackberry-keyone-awards.jpg

#19 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

https://www.finder.c...ackberry-keyone

Looks like you'll be shelling out $800 for it MS

#20 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,179 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

https://www.finder.c...ackberry-keyone

Looks like you'll be shelling out $800 for it MS

Being TCL, they'll likely do international warranty, so I'll import assuming bands line up.

Also, some of the Optus testing team have been spotted in the wild testing them, so I'll likely be able to get it locked on optus for cheaper.

$549 USD is close to $730 AUD, Ive been saying $750AUD is more likely.

They need to enter below 800 to tempt people.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 02 March 2017 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users