• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 12:36 PM

They are banking on Crackberry hardcore users to buy the product at a premium I think. Still it' not like a $1000 iPhone though

Edited by Jeruselem, 02 March 2017 - 12:37 PM.

Cortana at your service

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,956 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

They are banking on Crackberry hardcore users to buy the product at a premium I think. Still it' not like a $1000 iPhone though

I'm relying on a $650~699 locked to optus pretty quickly, to entice buyers.

I dont need it to be sold to me, but others will want a bargain.

$750~800 outright is probably right, but shouldn't be. It should  be $750, direct conversion plus a little.

See I have good hopes for this thing, and here's why.

Everyone, without exception, wanted to use my Passport, and liked the feel of it.

Tons even asked if they could "Try and pocket it" because it was square, and were shocked at the exact pocket sizing they chose, they expected it to be 'big'. It wasn't.

I had a total of 0 complaints about it and lots of awe and interest.

The only negative thing I heard was "wow thats a lot of letterboxing" if I was filling time with youtube; which, 3:2 will reduce a LOT compared to 1:1 like it was before.

Where BB completely fucked up, was at the new product launch back in like 2013ish? iOS was 'boring' and Android wasn't polished enough yet.

They had a real chance, even without paying for advertising, there were blackberry stands in every JBhifi, and that was enough to SHOW people....

The crucial absolute killer mistake?

They released the Z10 (touchscreen) before the Q10 (qwerty).

They completely white-washed their point of difference in the market, by releasing another 'flat glass phone' with an unknown ecosystem.

An unknown ecosystem isnt a GOOD point of difference for most people, so they disregarded the brand, and the Q10 launched with 0 popularity.

THIS time, they're launching the QWERTY first. Like smart individuals.

They also lucked out, because trust of Samsung as a brand is at an all time low (kaboom!).

iPhone users (without the rest of the in home ecosystem) are disenchanted by the loss of headphones, and if you believe chinese media, theres a battery risk there too; and even my die-hard apple mates are still shitting on the new iOS.

There are always exceptions, but 9/10 people I ask who had E63's or classic BB's or palms and what not still "prefer a keyboard" over an On-Screen, even though 'the on screen is fine' for them, just a preference.

And 2 days battery, with a phone that wont feel lag for YEARS unless you're a gamer (and I genuinely haven't met many outside of Pokemon Go).

If they can make this thing make ANY sort of impact, it'll sell.

It's not going to outrank Samsung or Apple, they gotta be dreaming, but it'll end up profitable, and has a real chance to remind people 'Blackberry' is a brand.

All the pieces of the puzzle are there, now its up to a little marketing, and a whole lotta luck....

They're not taking any crowns, but they may be able to get their brand a known name again.

Fingers crossed; mainly because I want a KEYtwo to happen also!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 02 March 2017 - 02:07 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

There's one thing about hardware keyboards on phones, the keys or keyboard mechanisms will wear out. I hope you can replace the keyboard without wrecking the phone.

Cortana at your service

#24 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,956 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

There's one thing about hardware keyboards on phones, the keys or keyboard mechanisms will wear out. I hope you can replace the keyboard without wrecking the phone.

Longest keyboard phones I had were E63, 4.5 years.

Next was a Q10 for 2 years.

And my Passport for a year.

I use them HEAVILY.

my mate is STILL using his Bold9000 from probably 10 years ago now.

None have worn out YET.

You're right they can, but I don't think it's a concern in the usable life of a phone.

I mean, its just a metal-membrane keyboard.

I have RUBBER membrane keyboards on my PC which gets thousands more presses, still working from the early 90's....

Hell I dont think I ever even saw a T9 keyboard 'wear out', and in the 90's during the TXTing craze, those things got a workout.

10 keys instead of a full qwerty? they copped it hard....

Edited by Master_Scythe, 02 March 2017 - 03:00 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#25 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,668 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

I have worn out sony ericsson phone keyboard by the way. Mainly because the screen was so **** small, I spent most of the time scrolling through the address book.

Cortana at your service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users