• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mickf

mickf

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:42 PM

I hope i am on the right forum ? I am sure someone will put me straight though! I am inquiring which virus scanner etc to get? I have had AVG and McAfee is there a better one?

When someone says have a great day I know they don't mean it but when they say fuck off I know they do

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:03 AM

Probably not :P but I'll reply anyway, because I'm just that nice, lol.

Avira has carried the flag in 1st place, for many years now.

Close to them, is AVAST!

AVG was good in 2004; and quickly lost it's position.

If you install Avira (go into settings and set Heuristics to HIGH), and run a Malwarebytes Anti Malware scan every few months, you can rest pretty sure you're safe.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,407 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

Just my opinion, Vipre from GFI. It's not free.

Cortana at your service

#4 mickf

mickf

Learner

• Quark
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:33 PM

Thanks all for your info l have not heard of any of those so looks like bye bye AVG runs out very shortly.

When someone says have a great day I know they don't mean it but when they say fuck off I know they do

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks all for your info l have not heard of any of those so looks like bye bye AVG runs out very shortly.

Heh, sounds like you've been out of the game for a while.

AVG had a major problem that caused most users to leave.

They had a built in 'Web Object' that put 'safe' ticks next to webpages it scanned were safe.

Catch was, not everyone in Aus had broadband at that point (or at best, 1.5mb ADSL), and having your AV visit 50 google results at once, not only slowed your internet HORRIBLY, it also resulted in accidental Denial-Of-Service attackks against webpage hosts!

People abandoned quickly. Also I believe its results are only in the 80%-ish range for detecting things.

AVIRA is the nicest, with the least obtrusive 'please buy me' ads for the free version; and I'm pretty sure its AV100% for about 6 years running.

If you're the type to pay, you can get a 3 PC licence, for $25 from the PCauthority software store :)

http://store.pcautho...s_pro_2015_3-pc

Edited by Master_Scythe, 13 January 2017 - 02:16 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users