62 replies to this topic

#21 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:51 PM

Oky doky, I'll compile it for ya then.

Let me fix the last few items so it's a bit more resilient and configurable.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#22 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Nice solution there SS

Cortana at your service

#23 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

That's not a bad idea about stitching the images together to suit the combined screen res, and it doesn't have to be combined width.

If the computer thinks the screens are two rows of three just arrange the images in the same layout to make the super image and then position the screens where you want.

hmm, i misread the OP.  all screens doing the slideshow.

gotta say 6 is a wacky number.  i would think that 5 would be ideal — one big ass screen with two on the walls either side...

seems its possible to daisy chain from 2 display ports

mst.jpg

but not sure about cable run lengths: http://multimonitorc...port-how-to.jpg

no pung intended

#24 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 02:58 PM

https://dl.dropboxus...pplication2.zip

Source code included for Visual Studio 2015 (Express or community editions are fine).

Simply copy the "SlideShowDealie.exe" in the zip file to the machine and run it.

Quick usage notes:

- Defaults to c:\temp. If no images exist there, it will ask you to pick a new folder. Can also change from main dialog
- Defaults to 5 seconds delay, can be adjusted in main dialog
- Only scans for JPG and PNG images.
- Both of these adjustments will be remembered across sessions
- Clicking on any monitor will "free it up" and show the little floating window to allow you to "restore" that display later.
- You /should/ be prevented from closing windows in such a way that the program will crash. You need to close the "main" window, so everything can be despawned cleanly.
- Needs the usual Windows "multi monitor" setup to work. It won't work if you have it configured as a virtual single giant monitor.
- Needs .NET framework 4.5

I have no idea if there are any earth-shattering bugs. I only tested it for a few minutes. Use it at your own risk! :)
四時半を待っています!

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,796 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

Simply copy the "SlideShowDealie.exe" in the zip file to the machine and run it.

Voted best application name ever.

Lets brainstorm a wide range of 'Dealies'

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#26 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:28 PM

Just tested it (OK with two screens because it's all I have)

Cortana at your service

#27 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Nice!

Yeah I only have two screens as well.

It /should/ work on an arbitrary number of screens though. SHOULD.
四時半を待っています!

#28 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Nice!

My two screens were difference sizes too. Apart from small images upscaling which looks terrible, which means the images used must be high res.

Cortana at your service

#29 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:28 PM

Will give it a try in a day or two when I get time. Will have to cobble together some bits and pieces to test. Should have three old working 17" LCDs (so may only be VGA but hopefully DVI) here plus a spare PC with onboard and a PCI-E GFX card.

gotta say 6 is a wacky number.  i would think that 5 would be ideal — one big ass screen with two on the walls either side...

seems its possible to daisy chain from 2 display ports

mst.jpg

but not sure about cable run lengths: http://multimonitorc...port-how-to.jpg

Will be 1, 4 and 1 around 3 walls. The big screen will be on the wall with the most clear space for running tutorials etc. At the moment we use a roll down projector screen which never seems to be quite clear enough for my liking.

So a big LCD screen will be easier to see for everyone.

One long wall will not be used as it has windows along it so unusable for mounting screens.

I do think the boss is overdoing the sizes a bit. Given the room size I reckon 4 x 32 and 1 x 50 to 60 would be enough, but hey I just follow orders unless I have a major objection IT wise.

Of course if we fail to get the grant all this falls through, which is a bleeding pain.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#30 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Good luck with the project. I don't think 10k is enough given the prices of large screens over 30".

Cortana at your service

#31 Mordenakhnen

Mordenakhnen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:11 PM

I've just had a bit of a discussion with Aliali, and suggested the use of a cheap compute stick or an Android equivalent plugged into the back of each TV and auto-running a web browser full screen with each having its own homepage pulled from a local web server (a NUC would suffice)  via WiFi. Or running custom software if that were deemed preferable.

Thoughts? brick bats? improvements?

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebus.

-----------------------------------

If you fall, I'll be there.

- Floor

#32 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,485 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:26 PM

TVs can be gotten real cheap.  32" around the $200 mark, even 55" under $500.  Of course they're yumcha and might last 5 years or less but still cheap.

My olds Sony crapped itself so they got a cheap TCL... it's actually a nice looking TV with a decent stand and the overall quality looks above what you'd expect.

The thing is though, for wall mount situations you need that capability plus you'd want a TV that still looks OK when wall-mounted and doesn't have superfluous bits of ridiculous looking trim.

#33 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

I've just had a bit of a discussion with Aliali, and suggested the use of a cheap compute stick or an Android equivalent plugged into the back of each TV and auto-running a web browser full screen with each having its own homepage pulled from a local web server (a NUC would suffice)  via WiFi. Or running custom software if that were deemed preferable.

intriguing. it would solve the cabling problem in one fell swoop.

i guess the images could be pulled by the clients or pushed to them.  AJAX?

it would be nice if the round robin slideshow continued seemlessly when the central TV is commandeered.

no pung intended

#34 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:58 PM

First thought is that it's a bit weird to have "a bit of a discussion" outside the thread?

This is another good solution though, but it complicates things quite a bit over using a single system with multiple displays attached. You have a lot of "moving parts" so to speak.

Using AJAX would give a satisfactory result (your server side loop would essentially do what my application does, running a 'sliding window' over a list of images), but since the first "A" in "AJAX" means asynchronous, you'll still get the individual units drifting out of sync over time.

Edited by SquallStrife, 14 January 2017 - 10:01 PM.

四時半を待っています!

#35 Mordenakhnen

Mordenakhnen

Charge

• Atomican
  • 344 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:35 PM

First thought is that it's a bit weird to have "a bit of a discussion" outside the thread?

Aliali and I live within a brisk walk of one another and I volunteer at the place this set-up is intended for, I hadn't been paying any attention to this thread prior to our discussion Today.

Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebus.

-----------------------------------

If you fall, I'll be there.

- Floor

#36 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:15 AM

Even weirder to have it on a forum when we can discuss face to face. :P

#37 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:50 PM

Using AJAX would give a satisfactory result (your server side loop would essentially do what my application does, running a 'sliding window' over a list of images), but since the first "A" in "AJAX" means asynchronous, you'll still get the individual units drifting out of sync over time.

well then, perhaps they could display the images to the beat of synced system clocks.  a few ms drift here and there shouldnt make any difference.

each client already has ALL the images, but during each round of 6, it receives a new image number, cues that image, pings back an acknowledgement to the server, at which point the server increments a counter.  all clients then display their cued image synchronously at the next appropriate time (ie. when [current time - start time] mod [slide viewing time] ==0).

whenever the server fails to receive an ACK from a client it does not increment the counter before attempting to send to the next client.  if comms are lost, or if a clients browser page/tab is not active, it will not receive an ACK from that client.

the timings of each communication would need to be slightly staggered to fit within successive windows of time windows 1/6th the viewing time for each slide.  but correct me if i am wrong, with any modern WiFi, even with 6 channels hammering away and the occasional dropped packet, this should be more than enough time, right?

Edited by @~thehung, 15 January 2017 - 03:57 PM.

no pung intended

#38 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,331 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:58 PM

Nice!

Ok got it running on an older AMD FX box running Win 7 I have here.

Running 4 LCD monitors.

Resolutions are.

1 x 1680x1050 (19")

1 x 1140 x 900 (19")

1 x 1280 x 1024 (17")

1 x 1024x768 (15") (yes I still have one kicking around :P )

HD5450 PCI-E card is driving two monitors via DVI and VGA

Onboard HD3000 is driving two monitors via DVI and VGA.

So far so good except for one little problem.

Shutting the PC down it complains about SlideShowDealie still running so will need a way round this I suppose.

If the comp is shutting down at set times with task scheduler I suppose another task to close Slideshowdealie before shutdown?

The downside to this setup I suppose is lack of flexibility. I just know the boss will ask me if we can have separate image streams on each monitor. Eg one monitor showing regional attractions, one monitor showing a local photographers pictures, one monitor show centre opening times. Etc etc.

People just love to complicate things.

May just have to say can't be done. :P.

#39 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

use sleep instead of shutdown?

shouldnt be hard to add something to be able to close it though

must say im impressed SquallStrife

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#40 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,389 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:20 AM

I guess the app SS wrote when running is bashing the cpu and gpu a bit and windows has trouble killing it. Maybe the app just needs a kill command hotkey combo.

Edited by Jeruselem, 16 January 2017 - 08:20 AM.

Cortana at your service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users