• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:28 PM

Just ordered an HP Omen. Looking forward to benchmarks, it's beefy machine. 

17" 4k g-sync

i7-6700hq

16g 2133 ddr4

gtx 1070 

512g nvme 

Tough choice between Asus, Sager and MSI... But the price was best on Omen.  

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ ? | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | EVGA RAM 3200 @ ?  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Its amazing how much power they can pack into a laptop.

Cortana at your service

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Just ordered an HP Omen. Looking forward to benchmarks, it's beefy machine. 

17" 4k g-sync

i7-6700hq

16g 2133 ddr4

gtx 1070 

512g nvme 

Tough choice between Asus, Sager and MSI... But the price was best on Omen.  

17" @ 4k? ouch.... At least it'll scale well to 1080p, and you can set gaming to 4k :)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:02 AM

Honestly, Microsoft need to get their shit together and get UI scaling working properly.

It's fine if all you use is Metro apps and Office 2016, but breaks everything for everything else.

It's 2017, and high-DPI displays are still a sticking point. WTF, Silicon Valley??
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Honestly, Microsoft need to get their shit together and get UI scaling working properly.

It's fine if all you use is Metro apps and Office 2016, but breaks everything for everything else.

It's 2017, and high-DPI displays are still a sticking point. WTF, Silicon Valley??

It also breaks if you have one screen scaled and one not.

And ALSO breaks if you open a word document from outlook.

and REALLLYYYYY breaks if you have scaling on, and try to use 'screen magnifier' tool.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 17 January 2017 - 01:02 PM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

Next release of Windows 10 will allow different DPI scaling for different apps.

Cortana at your service

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:03 PM

Next release of Windows 10 will allow different DPI scaling for different apps.

they need to get 1 app working first.....

#8 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:45 PM

Squall / Master, Im really curious on how that will work with 4k vs 1080p since I havent really any experience with 4k besides my tv that is 50".  I was a bit worried about the how the text will look with 4k too.  I hoping the g-sync will help smooth 4k game play if I go that res with dips to the 40fps range.  It will probably be attached to my monitor most the time that is 1080p. 

I had a choice between 128g m.2 SSD + 2t 5400rpm or for $50 more I could get 512g m.2 ... I will probably take the ssd from my desktop and put it in there and put an extra 128g SSD for boot I have on the desktop.  I dont want spinning disk on the laptop. 

I been trying to find info on if the cpu or gpu can be overclocked as I read mixed things about HP and bios locking.   Dont really care about the cpu but if I could get a few extra that would be great but should be able to OC the gpu I would think. 

Still hard to believe that these gpus are basically desktop gpu with slightly different clocks/shaders (strange the GTX 1070 mobile has more shaders but only 40mhz less core)... I honestly didn't realize that went away with the "m" series (980m or 960m) until a friend was looking for a laptop.  The GTX 1050 ti mobile actually has more mhz than the desktop with the same shaders (200+mhz).  Havent read much on those but did a double take.  http://www.notebookc...k.168400.0.html

Laptop with a GTX 1050 ti with 1080p might be really nice for light travel and gaming.  

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ ? | ASUS Turbo GTX1070 2ghz | EVGA RAM 3200 @ ?  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

Well, I'm going to be blunt, which I didnt want to do, since it's a new purchase.

But simply, 4K portable monitors, for the majority of people are ridiculous.

The text ends up so miniscule that even if your eyes are 20/20, co-workers have complained about losing their spot, reading a document, if the lunch trolley 'rocks their screen' slightly.

The 'sweet spot' for people with good vision, on any portable display, is 1440p.

Noticeably sharper than 1080p (which you're probably already used to, so consider it sharp regardless), and still a size that wont blow your eyes out of your skull trying to read.

The best thing about a true 4K display, is that it's perfectly divisible by 2, to reach 1080p. Meaning it's still going to look pretty OK when using it as a 'desktop'.

Basically, you'd set windows display resolution to 1080p, and set the resolution in games to 4k, so it just switches when you load them.

With that said, and remembering my eyes are rubbish, both me, and my 20/20 vision mates have a hard time noticing 4k in-game, unless its one of those 'cinematic sprawling landscape' type games.

Shooters, MOBA, Action, Platform, you'd just leave it on 1080p and enjoy battery savings.

It's a great feature on big screens, but you'll notice even Apple have stopped trying to put 'RETINA' displays in they smaller portable devices; and Apple have Scaling 90% working!

Using a SurfacePRO is just painful....

What 4k is great for, is a 'secondary  glance-at monitor'. You have so much virtual screen realestate, you can have temp monitoring, frame counters, screen recorders, some notes, a ripped DVD, and god knows what else open on it, while you do your main task, be it gaming or work, on the desktop monitor.

#10 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:53 PM

Yea I agree, I actually went back and forth on 1080 or 4k and questioned 4k at that small of a screen... The other model from HP had a 1080p option but had the new kaby cpu so was also more $.  Might end up running it at 1080p most the time but probably will have my external hooked up too that is 1080p.  I guess it will be nice to be able to have the option of 4k.  Also, never had IPS monitor nor have I really seen one up close, curious to see how the display looks compared to my Asus monitor.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

Yea I agree, I actually went back and forth on 1080 or 4k and questioned 4k at that small of a screen... The other model from HP had a 1080p option but had the new kaby cpu so was also more $.  Might end up running it at 1080p most the time but probably will have my external hooked up too that is 1080p.  I guess it will be nice to be able to have the option of 4k.  Also, never had IPS monitor nor have I really seen one up close, curious to see how the display looks compared to my Asus monitor.

So long as you don't like Dark themes, you'll love IPS.

To start positive, you've never seen such lovely colours in all your life. They're Vivid, well balanced, and just oh-so-pretty.

Think of comparing your home printers 'photo print' to a professional laminated picture. Its the same thing, just 'nicer'.

The one down side?

With the exception of the new LG-IPS panels (available in 25 and 28" only at this point, shipped by HP and ACER only), you'll see "Black Glow".

BlackGlow feels like staring at the sun, through 90% tint. Perfectly bearable, but horribly 'reflective' for no reason.

I, as a fan of black backgrounds, will take VA over IPS most any day. You however won't catch me going back to TN, I'm still yet to see a 'good' one.

#12 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,925 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:50 AM

I was a bit worried about the how the text will look with 4k too.

If Microsoft had their shit sorted out, text and UI elements would appear the same physical size as if it were a 1080p panel (or even larger if you fancy!), but the higher pixel density means it would render smoother, with less visible aliasing (thus less harsh anti-aliasing, e.g. ClearType) on small point size text, and crisper, smoother edges all round.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case, and lots of Windows software breaks layout-wise when the UI scaling is anything other than 100%:

QoZxN4f.png

Edited by SquallStrife, 18 January 2017 - 08:52 AM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

I was a bit worried about the how the text will look with 4k too.

If Microsoft had their shit sorted out, text and UI elements would appear the same physical size as if it were a 1080p panel (or even larger if you fancy!), but the higher pixel density means it would render smoother, with less visible aliasing (thus less harsh anti-aliasing, e.g. ClearType) on small point size text, and crisper, smoother edges all round.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case, and lots of Windows software breaks layout-wise when the UI scaling is anything other than 100%:

QoZxN4f.png

125% usually renders fine, since it's been a go to since windows 2000 days, but yeah, anything above, no-renderie-smoothie.

#14 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:25 AM

Yes that just causes havoc with some apps!

Cortana at your service

#15 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:02 AM

So I cancelled the order...  Few reasons

No N-key rollover...  Wtf gaming laptop? 

Trackpad -  reviews say it's the worse modern they used

bios locking -  cannot tweak setting all grey

4k -  I'm still on the fence.  Might look for 4k in 3 years.

usb -  3 but knew this

I know it's a laptop but man how can you call it gaming without n-key.  When gaming most time would have external devices plugged in but still would like to have this.   Thanks for all the replies as it was very helpful!  Starting search again probably Asus, Sager or MSI.  

Edit -  was going to be around the 5th when it would arrive so that sucked too.. 

Edited by gamble, 20 January 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:49 AM

Starting search again probably Asus, Sager or MSI.  

Gigabyte!

#17 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,399 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:52 AM

Acer Predator?

Cortana at your service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users