• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:18 PM

So i recently got a GTX 960 Strix cheap - $50 i knew it had a problem.

So what is happening is that there is always red lines flickering on screen at all times, They disappear when you open something up over them but then re appear a few minutes after you close the window. They do move when i mouse over them as well. 

The drivers install the nvidia installer completes fine but does not seem to install drivers, Like they are installing and then immediately being deleted. 

Device manager only picks up a (VGA compatible device) But nothing is available when you check properties.

The red lines only seem to be present when i am using 32 bit true color setting, as when i change to 16 bit they are completely gone, But the issues are still in device manager.

I have looked at trying to update the bios on the GPU however GPU-Z will not pick up the graphics card.

Has anyone had this issue, or possibly know a FIX?

I will upload some images when i get home and can plug my phone into my PC.

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Sounds like maybe the Ram has started to go bad from overclocking and/or and getting artifacts.

Re the drivers, first ensure they're the right ones for your OS.  That includes 32 or 64 bit version.  And of course make sure for the right card though the installer will usually tell you if any of that is amiss.

Depending on Windows version there is certain settings you might need to change to stop it from downloading or just using a default driver which it thinks is the correct one.

And of course don't forget the driver destroyer utilities.  It would seem that leftover rubbish from older drivers is still an issue which you often need to resort to 3rd party utilities to fix.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

I suspect the previous owner might have been overlocking the poor thing to death.

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:37 PM

I have a GTX 960 also and have 376.09 drivers on Win7 x64.  Seems fine except that video playback can be choppy at times.

#5 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

Card was ment to be new however when i pulled it apart someone had tried to drown the chip in thermal paste. I have tried it on Windows 7 Pro and am now testing it on Windows XP But results are the same, I may try and heat the board up with a hot air gun maybe it might have a bad joint some where. Maybe its just a bad $50 Investment. 

PC's, Cars, Marine communications  a Bit of everything in life.  Especially Gaming.

#6 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

It's often the case that factory HSF paste applications look very hamfisted.

Sounds like the card might be a bit RS... I've read a few stories of homebrewed reflow jobs but it's a bit of a risk.

I guess if there's not warranty fallback or other way to get your $$$ back then it might be worth a shot.  Probably best to do so with all the shroud and HSFs removed as well as any stickers or residual paste.

#7 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

Yeah except there was half a thermal pad (grey) and a massive layer of Green thermal paste over it all and almost the the edge of the Graphics chip pcb, all the resistors were fully covered aswell lol. 

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:15 PM

That's just going a bit overboard ... LOL

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 11:51 AM

Once you've confirmed it can't be returned, and that whatever is covering everything ISN'T conductive, it might be time to look into a custom hacked BIOS and permanantly overvolt the core and memory a little, while running at stock speeds still.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#10 gamble

gamble

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:13 AM

Try downclocking 1st the ram, nothing, then core

Edited by gamble, 24 January 2017 - 12:14 AM.

HAF 912 | Biostar x370GT7 | 1700x @ 4ghz | PowerColor RX 56 (RX 64 Bios) @ 1600c/945mhz | EVGA RAM @ 2933mhz  | EK Watercooled CPU | EVGA G2 1300W 

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 11:33 AM

Try downclocking 1st the ram, nothing, then core

Or that.

If you learn how to hack the BIOS or find someone who has, do a -2% clock to RAM and CORE, and +2% to power.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#12 Soulessdeath

Soulessdeath

Learner

• Quark
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:14 PM

Problem is i have tried to use GPU-Z but cannot find the graphics card. But i am open to suggestions, it is a good card to try and learn some new tricks on. 

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:41 PM

There's a learning curve.

But;

http://www.overclock...os-upon-request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users