9 replies to this topic

#1 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:23 PM

My friend can't access his PC forgotten log in password ,what can he do please

some people worry bout the splinter in an others eye and forget about the log in there own

Cooler Master Cosmos SE case, ,Corsair HX 650 w ,Corsair H 100i Cooler , ,ASUS MG279Q 27inch WQHD IPS FreeSync Monitor

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:32 PM

This is a windows login I assume and he's not using Linux?

If it's Windows, which version? Some versions of Windows had a default Administrator login enabled by default which you could use to get in (2000 and XP and Vista). In Windows 7 and forward, this is not the case.

Edited by Jeruselem, 24 January 2017 - 02:48 PM.

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#3 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Think it's windows 10

some people worry bout the splinter in an others eye and forget about the log in there own

Cooler Master Cosmos SE case, ,Corsair HX 650 w ,Corsair H 100i Cooler , ,ASUS MG279Q 27inch WQHD IPS FreeSync Monitor

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:01 PM

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

Boot CD to the rescue.

Keep in mind, there is a bug with the latest release. The "defaults" are OK the whole way through UNTIL he gets to choosing WHICH user account he wants.

The script drops and '0' characters out of the user id number; so if you want, say "Administrator" it might be 0F1A, but the default selection will say "F1A", so correct that.

Keep in mind you're messing with SAM files, so make your friend aware he could lock himself out of anything bitlockered, and even anything using basic security on the "Users" directory (things on the desktop, in 'My Documents' are really all that's at risk).

Think it's windows 10

There's a good chance he HASNT forgotten his password.

There's a chance he set it up using a LOCAL account, then at some point logged into hotmail or an MSN service.

This will automatically "upgrade" his local account to a LIVE account, so his password may now match his HOTMAIL\PASSPORT\Bing account password.

Try that first

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:08 PM

Thanks Master_Scythe no he's sure it's the login password ,thanks heaps I'll try that as he keeps telling me you need administration rights,it's hard work lol cheers I'll report back when I try this

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

Thanks Master_Scythe no he's sure it's the login password ,thanks heaps I'll try that as he keeps telling me you need administration rights,it's hard work lol cheers I'll report back when I try this

Yeah but that's the catch.

He's sure its his usual PC password.

But the PC may have 'upgraded his account' and its now his email password.

Just try others, there's no lockouts on local machines by default.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 863 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:28 PM

OK will do cheers
He's got no CD ,sorry forgot to mention

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:30 PM

OK will do cheers
He's got no CD ,sorry forgot to mention

You can get ISO files and "burn" them on bootable USB sticks, not an issue there.

Edited by Jeruselem, 24 January 2017 - 04:32 PM.

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

Make any progress there redrob?

#10 redrob

redrob

Master

• Atomican
  • 863 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:38 PM   Best Answer

yes guys it appears that he has now remembered his password .Cheers Everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users