• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

Ok so I finally got win10 after many a procrastination and I don't like it ;-; I want to go back to windows 7 but I can't because I need dx12 and I don't like this ;-;

So yeah sorry for the rant :/ probably needs to go in the green room /shrug

p.s. cybes this is for you xd

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,396 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

I don't like it either.  The look and feel is very contemporary and I reckon will age badly.   I absolutely hate the stuff like disappearing scroll bars and forcing desktop/laptop users to put up with apps that are more geared towards tablets or phones.

Win7 and even XP has a nice organic feel about them, and a good mix of fashion and functionality which in computing are often mutually exclusive... although they've gone backwards with the default Start menu since Vista.

Sure, Win10 has the supposedly better underpinnings like scheduling, handling error conditions and general kernal stuff that's hidden from view.

But what you do get to see isn't exactly pretty.

The other thing is that for whatever reason, simple file and folder operations seem to get slower with each new OS.  I've done data moves between drives in various configs and the throughput is about half what I'd have hoped for, and definitely slower than what you usually get with XP and 7.

Finally, the arrogance of making things like Safe Mode less accessable to the user - MS for whatever reason thought they'd made a bulletproof OS, but it seems to have a worse than ever reputation insofar as startup/shutdown and update problems.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 11:40 PM

You can download this to make your win10 more like Windows 7

http://www.classicshell.net/

Cortana at your service

#4 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:46 AM

Great, now you went and got rybags all riled up about kids these days and how they don't appreciate the nice timeless Fisher Price aesthetic XP had.

You also didn't tell us why you don't like it, so yeah, maybe you should've dumped it into the green room.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#5 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:30 AM

Great, now you went and got rybags all riled up about kids these days and how they don't appreciate the nice timeless Fisher Price aesthetic XP had.

You also didn't tell us why you don't like it, so yeah, maybe you should've dumped it into the green room.

I appreciate the aesthetics xp had, but mainly the reason I don't like it is because it's different :/

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

We are moving the workplace to windows 10, it's been no issues with normal office machines. We keep weird ass bms machines on windows 7 due to the required software.

Cortana at your service

#7 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

mainly the reason I don't like it is because it's different :/

You're different.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#8 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:37 PM

mainly the reason I don't like it is because it's different :/

You're different.

FeelsBadMan....but i've noticed that win10 is running a LOT slower than win7....like, i'll randomly get lag spikes or things won't open or just everything will drop to working at 2 frames xd anyone else had similar problems?

edit: fixed the problem

Edited by SonOfNoddy, 29 January 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#9 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 42,964 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

No, but anyone else who does is probably SOL if they came here looking on how to also fix it!

#10 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,679 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

FeelsBadMan....but i've noticed that win10 is running a LOT slower than win7....like, i'll randomly get lag spikes or things won't open or just everything will drop to working at 2 frames xd anyone else had similar problems?

edit: fixed the problem

Coming to grips with it already, I see.  It'll stop feeling weird in about a month.  Whether that is you becoming accustomed to it, or Stockholm Syndrome is left as an exercise for the student. ;p

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,754 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:14 AM

Classic Shell fixes everything.

Or you can try AltShell

http://www.altshell....hell/index.html

Or my Favorite,

ReactOS Explorer

win8explorer_new.png

You've probably heard of it, but ReactOS is an Open source, fully compatible WINDOWS fork.

It's its own open source version of Windows that can run genuine Windows binaries.

Plus side, is you can replace "Real Windows" explorer.exe entirely! :)

Meaning a Windows Kernel, with a React Shell.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:46 AM

He needs DX12 so I don't if the React OS folks have implemented that yet

Cortana at your service

#13 kikz

kikz

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,501 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:09 AM

Why on gods green earth would you want to run classic shell. Win 10 UX is buttkicking. #nottrolling :)

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,754 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:23 AM

He needs DX12 so I don't if the React OS folks have implemented that yet

That shouldn't be relevant for the Shell though. I'm not suggesting he use the whole OS just replace explorer.exe

Why on gods green earth would you want to run classic shell. Win 10 UX is buttkicking. #nottrolling :)

I'd agree if I could simplify as much as things like XP let me do.

I want a quicklaunch bar back, without pinning (SKYPE pinning is still broken), if I could REMOVE the fucking notifications center, not just hide it. and remove the firewall hits every time I open the start menu.

The rest? Yeah it works pretty sleek

Edited by Master_Scythe, 30 January 2017 - 11:23 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#15 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:34 AM

We use classic shell at work on all new win10 installs ... so I don't have retrain everyone here how to use w10 interface. I have a w10 mobile phone (2 actually) so it doesn't bother me but classic shell makes w10 like w7 to people who don't care and these users don't

Edited by Jeruselem, 30 January 2017 - 03:49 PM.

Cortana at your service

#16 SonOfNoddy

SonOfNoddy

Snotblock

• Atomican
  • 639 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:38 AM

We use classic shell at work on all new win10 installs ... so I don't have retrain everyone here how to use w10 interface. I have a w10 mobile phone (2 actually) so it doesn't bother me but classic shell makes w10 like w7 to people who don't care and these users don't

i'm a user that does xd but i'm starting to get used to it, hid away cortana (yuck) and that task viewer thing and made the icons small, also minimised my start menu to as much as I could so it looks like win7, some things can't change (like the new login screen *throws up*) but i'm getting used to it :/

#17 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,679 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

i'm a user that does xd but i'm starting to get used to it, hid away cortana (yuck) and that task viewer thing and made the icons small, also minimised my start menu to as much as I could so it looks like win7, some things can't change (like the new login screen *throws up*) but i'm getting used to it :/

It's just a text field?  But you can disable logins if you'd rather.

You'll probably also want to do violence to Edge.

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,754 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:53 AM

It's just a text field?  But you can disable logins if you'd rather.

You'll probably also want to do violence to Edge.

Edge is actually genius. A+ to microsoft for that one.

A browser where plugins are a load-per-session, (certain) cookies are cleared by default, and rendering changes are reset each launch?

As the world moves to an online "I just want to use facebook" type of clientele, this is absolutely genious.

It will always 'just work'.

And for the nerds, we can change it.

SoN, whack a webcam on and use Windows Hello.

Now you have log-in security, and no need to deal with a text field which is already worlds better than windows 7 could be (switching users in windows 7 was like pulling teeth by comparison).

#19 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,300 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:16 PM

I use Edge on my Windows 10 mobile, mainly because I don't have any choice ... but it's 100x better than the mobile version of IE

Cortana at your service

#20 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,679 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:39 PM

... but it's 100x better than the mobile version of IE

Black plague is better than IE Mobile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users