Photo

Pondering a workstation build to process astro images + occassionally play games

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

ok gave the benchmark a run

it seems both io and cpu performance are very important

first run down the bottom was on a samsung 830 64G ssd which spent more time at 100% load than the cpu

Sequential Read Speed 520MB/s
Sequential Write Speed 160MB/s
Random Read Speed 75K IOPS
it spent most the time waiting on the ssd with short spikes in cpu load

the other three runs were after i swapped to the sandisk ultra ii 960G
Seq. Read(up to)3 550 MB/s
Seq. Write(up to)3 500 MB/s
Rnd. Read (up to)3 95K IOPS
Rnd. Write (up to)3 79K IOPS
on this drive the cpu was under 100% load much more often but still dropping to 0% load a fair bit the ssd maxed out at 70% load but it seemed to be the limit while it was at 70%
maybe a ram drive would be a better option my file speeds seem to be well below the others on the benchmark site

pixinsight%20benchmark.jpg

EDit:

ok created a 8G ramdisk using primo ramdisk

it seems 5g wasnt big enough but thankfully 8g was because the software didnt support higher and i was running out of ram

with this the cpu was under constant load although not always 100%

if you are to do this you probably want about 32g ram

pixi%20benchmark.jpg

not sure why buy it seems my ram drive performance is well below other skylake test systems scoring ~3x as high

Edited by Dasa, 05 February 2017 - 12:51 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:58 AM

Called it!

IO bottleneck!

Will a 32GB ram disk be enough for scratch?

If not, 2X PCI-E drives will be your only option, and they'll keep up!

Edited by Master_Scythe, 06 February 2017 - 09:42 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

Many thanks for running that bench. A super sized RAM drive on a massive memory monster build is easily achieveable. I asked the author of CCDStack what he recommended and he said a lot of cores and very fast I/o with sufficient memory.

One other factor I have to consider is will server motherboards support Windows 10 Pro - else how Can I leverage directx 12 capable games when they emerge.

This is proving to be quite an interesting quest!
Talent + Integrity = Atomic!

#24 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 08:56 AM

Many thanks for running that bench. A super sized RAM drive on a massive memory monster build is easily achieveable. I asked the author of CCDStack what he recommended and he said a lot of cores and very fast I/o with sufficient memory.

One other factor I have to consider is will server motherboards support Windows 10 Pro - else how Can I leverage directx 12 capable games when they emerge.

This is proving to be quite an interesting quest!

Yes it will, but even the BEST programs, running a single instance, show diminishing returns with cores over 4.

Some are getting better and reaching 8 core, but nothing is fully utilizing the 16 threads of a modern i7 to their full potential.

(OK that's a lie, some back end server stuff is, but I highly doubt this will)...

Keep in mind, you DO need to sleep, so long as it gets all the work done WELL within your down-time, it's reaching the goals.

And if you're processing a single 'batch' while you wait, well 16 threads is enough to get it done in acceptable 'waiting time'. I'd almost guarantee it.

DASA is running a 2600k, which is a 4 core, 8 thread processor; with a modern SATA3 drive, and he hit IO bottlenecks without maxing out the CPU.

We're talking double the cores\threads, and still overclockable.

As for RAM, perhaps stick with the 32GB and forget the RAM disk, PCI-E is plenty fast.

I mean, OK, once you put PCI-E storage in the machine, the CPU may see more load, but unless you move to an unlimited budget, you're chasing bottlenecks forever.

SOMETHING is always going to be the weak link!

In a year or three, You can whack a 16core, 32 thread XEON in a desktop board too.

https://ark.intel.co...-Cache-2_30-GHz

Just at the moment the price is bullshit, so you don't.... but most 2011-3 motherboards support desktop AND server chips (even if they don't list them).

While I'm sure DASA is going to tweak my 'quickly thrown together' build on the previous page, It's exactly what I think you should be going for a few reasons:

1. Reliability.

While 'Server' boards USED to be better, I think desktop\gaming boards have taken over.

Icurrently manage 150 sites with local servers. The number of issues these experience compared to my mates old 150PC LAN gaming center, I'd say it's certainly swung the other way.

With solid state caps, 'double thickness copper', and heatsinked VRM's, and various other tech they throw on modern gaming boards, I'm actually of the opinion reliability has gone the OTHER way now.

Server boards are picky picky picky.

Fail a fan it expects to be there, and no boot. Break a RAID, no boot. And really, their range is limited.

2. Speed

As above, that limited range means its rare to find Multi 8/16X PCI-E Slots you're going to need for PCI-E storage. And I dont think I've seen a server board with NVM\M.2 slots at all.

Not to mention, any slight overclocking is harder if it's even possible, on a server board.

3. Price.

You used to pay for the 'stability' of a server board. As above, I'm well of the opinion that 'gaming boards' are now required to stay up during stressed loads, because there could be a Million dollar prize on the line, stability is stress tested about the same between the two, so what on earth are you paying for?

4. Power

Desktop gear uses a fair bit less than Server gear, especially since you seem so keen on running dual CPU for some reason.

IMO the use for dual CPU is to have dedicated tasks; so if you intend to calculate your pictures WHILE you game a current A+ title? OK it might be useful.

But if you intend to play some oldschool-game, while you wait for the render, just steal a thread or a core, and play away. no need for a dedicated CPU.

Anyway, to answer your question directly, yes.

Windows 10 will run on server hardware just fine.

I take a while to get to the point eh? :P

Edited by Master_Scythe, 07 February 2017 - 09:03 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#25 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

DASA is running a 2600k, which is a 4 core, 8 thread processor; with a modern SATA3 drive, and he hit IO bottlenecks without maxing out the CPU.

As for RAM, perhaps stick with the 32GB and forget the RAM disk, PCI-E is plenty fast.

not for a while now

went to 3770k and now 6700k@4.7GHz

yeah 32-64g ram seems to be the go using a software ramdrive

from everything i have seen a older multi cpu system may not be to bad for the image processing side of the build

im curious how a multi cpu system with quad channel ram to each cpu handles a ram drive does it share bandwidth or only draw on the ram for one cpu? may have to google it

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
Parts Guide

#26 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

not for a while now

went to 3770k and now 6700k@4.7GHz

yeah 32-64g ram seems to be the go using a software ramdrive

from everything i have seen a older multi cpu system may not be to bad for the image processing side of the build

im curious how a multi cpu system with quad channel ram to each cpu handles a ram drive does it share bandwidth or only draw on the ram for one cpu? may have to google it

i was going by your signature :P

#27 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 12:49 PM

hmm fair enough thought i had updated that

fixed

Edited by Dasa, 07 February 2017 - 12:55 PM.

Parts Guide

#28 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:02 PM

Nice!!!

Well my point stands. Your example is still a 4\8 CPU, while my 'build' is a 8\16 CPU. If he's worried about the multithreaded nature of the program, I think you've basically proven there's no worry untill you sort out IO, and even then, for how long?

I just think server gear is overkill, expensive, and really useless for this task.

#29 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

dam memory bandwidth on new dual cpu systems is insane

http://www.tweaktown...iew/index6.html

6866_43_asus_z10pe_d8_ws_dual_cpu_intel_

vs single cpu http://www.tweaktown...iew/index5.html

7725_27_intel-broadwell-core-i7-6950x-10

mind you my overclocked dual channel system is competing with that 2133 quad channel bandwidth but with a much lower latency so a overclocked quad channel system would do ok to

d495304d_Untitled.jpeg

Parts Guide

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Exactly!

I'm not stupid enough to claim server hardware is useless, double up the.... everything..... and you have double the pathways to send things along.

But in this instance, I feel its pure overkill. You'll spend twice as much, which will mean you'll have to wait the same "far too long" to upgrade in the future!

#31 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

There are a lot of great points in people insights here. server boards are built for throughput and reliability - but modern gaming boards have excellent reliability too!

Dual CPU server boards require double the investment in CPUs (only a non issue thanks to going for a song older Xeon CPUs). Dual CPU server boards require special PSU with extra main board connectors and possibly extenders depending on case design. These boards need large, very well ventilated cases. The high end motherboards aren't cheap the ASUS Z10PE-D16 might cost $900. Note it does offer a full eight PCIE 16x lanes and very high speed, high bandwidth memory lanes. And yes it supports M.2 for 10 Gbps connectivity speeds - if anything can deliver that!

A lot of general software and games aren't coded to utilise multi core hardware well. However many astronomy programs appear to buck this trend. Deep Sky Stacker and CCD Stacker are full dual CPU optimised and Pixel Insight I believe is too - but apparently PI is rather I/O swap space speed constrained and requests one to run dual swap files across two or more independent disks (this it reports improves performance by 40%)! So it's an over simplification to think that astronomy processing programs can not take great advantages of dual CPU server boards. I still have to research how Sequence Generator Pro, Nebulosity, MaximDL, Photoshop CS and Registar perform - but these programs overlap each other greatly; if even one of them works well that is a huge boost!

Once you have stacked all the registered frames processing operations that should be responsive can still take 45 seconds to redraw the screen for even simple changes.

A modern high clocked CPU with multiple cores will always do well across the board for most software.

I didn't follow how folks think you can get directx 12 support if you aren't on a board certified for Windows 10 Pro.

Speaking to the developer of CCDStack direct compute won't be available to help in the near future for several reasons, including the cards don't have enough RAM and there is a high overload in moving the images in and out of video ram for the limited operations a GPU can do.

So what I am also researching is exactly how much faster a dual multi core multi CPU Xeon is compared to a high end I7. It is very interesting topic!

Edited by g__day, 07 February 2017 - 09:24 PM.

#32 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:29 AM

So what I am also researching is exactly how much faster a dual multi core multi CPU Xeon is compared to a high end I7. It is very interesting topic!

You'll find it's negligible.

DASA is more clued up on back to back benchmarks than I am, so listen to him if he disagrees with me, but in reality, a Xenon chip is basically an i7, with an ECC memory controller, and some more cache.

As for your software,

Depending how 'up to date' and IT-nerd-specific the programmers\marketing department is, "able to utilize Dual CPUs" can EASILY mean "Able to use Dual Core". In Windows, CORE == CPU (not for licensing, but for software).

Regardless, if you go with an ASUS board, they're usually REALLY good at extending CPU support to odd things; so chances are, once they're cheap, the 10core\20thread XEON chip will drop into your "desktop" board anyway.

At the end of the day, what you're trying to do is compute things FAST. Graphics, Physics (well, math) and Data, basically, you're trying to 'game' without playing a game. The requirements are much the same.

As such, the same smart buying rules apply.

Minor upgrading in 2 years, will always result in better performance than overkilling for today.

If you spend $8k on a server setup, that's it for probably, what, 5 years at least? Lets say new sensors or special telescopes come out and take even BETTER images again, or new software emerges. You have 0 budget for upgrades.

If however, you spend $4k now, and an additional $2k in 2 years, not only is it cheaper, but you'll have a more powerful system for longer.

Your money, ans I don't mean to be nearly as forceful as I'm sounding, I'm just trying hard to stop you making a mistake IMO.

From experience, one of my clients (architect) has learnt that even his $10k architect software, which is "fully multi core enabled" only touches his last 4 threads when windows makes it.

You can watch it happen. 1~4 ramp up instantly when rendering, but 4~8 only start seeing SOME load when windows starts handing tasks. Basically no software is good enough to calculate how much to throw at say, 20 cores..... and that makes logical sense. You'd have to be able to predict the future to know what tasks to send to which, absed on predicted time to complete, priority, and what data set it needs to interact with (in the case of Bulldozer CPU's with separate cache).

Edited by Master_Scythe, 08 February 2017 - 09:30 AM.

#33 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:47 AM

unfortunately i have never had the chance to use more than a quad core 8 thread cpu so my experience is limited in that regard

rather than running one big expensive dual cpu system for processing how would it be to run a few 1-2k systems?

zen would probably be great for this option

maybe build a zen system for your main uses when its out then if you want some more processing power look at a 32 core naples later in the year running both at once should really crunch some data and may even fit under the 6k budget

Parts Guide

#34 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

Still soaking all this up - but my grad degree was on parallel processing hardware and software designs - so I am very careful on the questions I ask - and yes - it's mutli core, mutli processor capable (how capable is still under investigation).  The whole segue started from the observation that slower, high core, high cache Xeon chips can be found very cheaply.  That is not a thorough analysis of risks, costs and benefits by any means!  I have other astronomers trying to get data points too.

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:14 AM

unfortunately i have never had the chance to use more than a quad core 8 thread cpu so my experience is limited in that regard

rather than running one big expensive dual cpu system for processing how would it be to run a few 1-2k systems?

zen would probably be great for this option

maybe build a zen system for your main uses when its out then if you want some more processing power look at a 32 core naples later in the year running both at once should really crunch some data and may even fit under the 6k budget

I'm running a 6 core 12 thread 2011-3 system, and I'm yet to find a single software that actually ramps up all threads, unless it launches itself multiple times.

One such example is batch MP3 converter.

I wanted a few thousand MP3's dropped to 160kbps for car use (road noise hides quality).

I selected "12 threads", and bam, it did 12 MP3 tracks at a time.

Was rather cool actually, and the first time I've EVER seen software use all the threads properly.

That said, in task manager, there were 12X copies of the software running.... So even then it's not actually multi core aware, just able to use affinity assigning properly.

I've seen all 12 threads get use, don't misunderstand, but it's always a tell-tale sign its the Kernel doing it, and not the software (obvious because X threads jump to 100%, then come down a bit as the remaining Y threads take some load)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 08 February 2017 - 10:15 AM.

#36 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:28 PM

I would be really interested in what you observe with thread utilisation under the freeware DeepSkyStacker if it tried to stack even say ten copies of that image above under all default settings. DSS is about 12 mb and free to download. You simple say load light frames - point to say ten copies of the above image, select them all any then press stack and register and accept all the suggested default parameters.

That should be the simplest usage. It uses all four cores of my old quad core CPU and all eight threads of my sons rigs. A simple stack of an identical picture should take one to three minutes to process - be very interested to see what I/O ram and cpu usage folks observed during the run and what the total time of the run is. If you feel adventourus afterward when it displays the final image just move any of the sliders colour or better still brightness six sliders around then press the process button and see how quickly it re draws he final image. If it's less than thirty seconds that would be pretty good!

If I wasn't stuck in Cooma for work I would be doing a lot more research. I find it really gratifying and helpful reading all the testing and analysis you guys have done just cause I have asked for help - many thanks!

#37 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:04 AM

maybe im doing something wrong but its seems to be registering each image individually taking ~1:17 each

im not sure what image your using so i went with this one i suspect there could be a fair variance in time taken to process from one image to the next

http://wallpapersafari.com/w/gzQwOk/

there isnt really any io usage while registering the one image just a single core is pegged

adjusting the 6 brightness then clicking apply completed in 15 seconds while only using ~8% of the cpu no noticeable io

Edited by Dasa, 09 February 2017 - 09:18 AM.

Parts Guide

#38 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:29 AM

A couple of random thoughts from a recent PC build I just completed...

This PC was mainly for the Adobe suite of products (picture & video), so multi-core was important as was the quantity of RAM and I/O throughput.

The CPU was an i7 6850K is a 6 core processor, so not as many cores as you possibly want. However, the interesting bit was that we achieved a 27% overclock (using the Asus overclocking tools) with the Corsair Hydro H60SE liquid cooler attached.

This cooler was very easy to install and was very good at keeping the temps down or when they did get high bringing them down quickly. So you may want to look at some form of liquid cooling to get the most out of your CPU.

This box has 64Gb of ram which Adobe loves so no drama there.

As for storage, we went with a 3 tiered approach. I'm still not sure if this is the right way to go about it for Adobe, but the results were great.

The primary OS & program disk is a Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 installed in a dedicated M.2 slot (PCIe x4). The Adobe 'scratch' drive was a Samsung SATA SSD and the spinny drives were WD blacks.

I've had a number of SSDs from OCZ and Samsung for quite a while and they are fantastic, but, these M.2 beasts take it to another level and worth thinking about.

It's by far the fastest thing I've ever built, and the first time I've played with any form of liquid cooling or M.2 storage but I can say I was impressed...
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#39 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:31 AM

Sounds like a good build.

I'd have used RED drives for storage, and a PCI SSD over a normal one for a dedicated 'scratch', but otherwise, makes total sense.

#40 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

i wouldnt bother with aio there expensive more prone to failure and loud for the level of performance they provide until you get to the expensive ones made by swiftech\ek while still prone to failure they do manage a decent performance to noise ratio

this is assuming you have a case with half decent airflow obviously aio have a advantage being able to draw on fresh air in cases with crap airflow

http://www.relaxedte...iquid-coolers/2

temp-load.jpg

noise-load.jpg

http://www.anandtech...h100-reviewed/6

42199.png

Edited by Dasa, 09 February 2017 - 10:46 AM.

Parts Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users