#21 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

No car, but I do have an ugly scooter:

FBaDHzh.jpg

Looks aside, it has neat features.  It's electric, running on a 60V 36Ah battery.  This gives me a 60km range at 60km/h, or 120km at 20-30km/h.  The battery is removable, and takes around 4 hours to charge from any standard 220V socket.  It has automatic headlights, cruise control, ABS brakes, underseat storage that will fit an average grocery bag, gyro indicator cancelation, and a smartphone app that will give me it's GPS location, battery status, and allows me to lock/unlock it remotely.  It cost the equivalent of around $1000 AUD (5000rmb), and is pretty damn convenient for city riding.

It sucks when it rains, and I miss the speed of my old motorbike.  However, it's quicker than most cars off the mark, fun to ride, and cuts straight through Chinese traffic.

Edited by tastywheat, 18 February 2017 - 01:22 AM.

#22 i_am_banned2

i_am_banned2

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

Aren't you ashamed to be riding that? You're an ambassador of both Australia and Atomic, yet your vehicle is completely stock. Unbelievable.

Here's an idea to get you started:

Spoiler

Edited by i_am_banned2, 18 February 2017 - 01:48 AM.

#23 Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie

Overlord

• Hero
  • 3,769 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:44 PM

An 07 Honda Civic 2.2 Turbo Diesel

• Dynamatted

• Double Din Head Unit

• Alpine Type R speakers

• Alloy fuel Cap

• Sports grill

• Heko's

• 18" Wolfrace Wheels with Goodyear F1 Asymmetrical Tyres

• Blackvue GW550 Dashcams (front & rear)

I was going to put a Type R bodykit on it but I'm now putting the dosh aside ready for when they release a full electric Civic

Kh1DmXb.jpg

#24 mark84

mark84

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,715 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

IMG-20170121-WA0015.jpg

20170121_101810-2.jpg

Had it for about a month now. Just about at the end of the engine run in period.

Sooo much fun even at half revs!

In true atomic fashion I plan to "overclock" it.

I have a secondary ECU ready to put in it at some stage which will raise the engine output to 316KW, 582nm and 430hp.

Dream car would be a McLaren, but just that, a dream.

Next car after this, I'm hoping some kind of EV car, hopefully EVs will be more common by then.

Desktop: i7 6850K @ 4.3GHz | Titan X (Pascal) | 32GB RAM | 120GB + 500GB SSDs | 2x 5TB HDD in RAID1

Server: G3258 @4.6GHz | 120GB SSD | 2x 4TB RAID1 | 2x 6TB RAID1

Desktop build log | Firefox AtomicMPC Menu | The Truth About Graphics Power Requirements V2 | CPU bench league

www.atomicsimracing.net - The place for Atomicans who love motor sports and sim racing.

#25 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:54 AM

No car, but I do have an ugly scooter:

Looks aside, it has neat features.  It's electric, running on a 60V 36Ah battery.  This gives me a 60km range at 60km/h, or 120km at 20-30km/h.  The battery is removable, and takes around 4 hours to charge from any standard 220V socket.  It has automatic headlights, cruise control, ABS brakes, underseat storage that will fit an average grocery bag, gyro indicator cancelation, and a smartphone app that will give me it's GPS location, battery status, and allows me to lock/unlock it remotely.  It cost the equivalent of around $1000 AUD (5000rmb), and is pretty damn convenient for city riding.

surely those things would sell like hot cakes in australia - give up your day job and get the import licence

get them to make it look "pretty" and the world is yours

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#26 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,502 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:50 PM

It's like they tried for the early 60s Italian look and failed badly.

Really, they'd have been better off just using a contemporary design.  The added advantage of that is you change it every 18-24 months and get half the owners wanting to upgrade.

#27 tastywheat

tastywheat

Primarch

• Atomican
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

Aren't you ashamed to be riding that? You're an ambassador of both Australia and Atomic, yet your vehicle is completely stock. Unbelievable.

Here's an idea to get you started:

Spoiler

Haha, yes, a little bit.  I'm 6'2", so there's pretty much no way to look anything but ridiculous on a small scooter.  

I'd hacked my previous electric scooter to store an additional couple of batteries under the seat, and then dump the 24V directly to the brushed DC motor (taking it from ~60V to ~84V) when a modified horn button on the handlebars was pressed.  It was fun, and quickly boosted you up to ~80km/h , but the logistics of removing and charging the additional batteries was pretty tedious.  It's also not possible on my new scooter, since it uses a brushless motor.

There a few mods I could do, like installing a cheap android phone in a 3D printed housing below the console for navigation, but I don't have much time for it these days.  I expend all my geek energy designing, building, and occasionally crashing drones.

surely those things would sell like hot cakes in australia - give up your day job and get the import licence

get them to make it look "pretty" and the world is yours

You'd think so, right?  The problem is that the regulations limit electric scooters to 200W motors (mine is 1500W by comparison) and 10km/h, because the bureaucrats weren't forward thinking enough to consider that there might be electric mopeds in the future.  As a result, you need to go through a full certification process, which is expensive.

There's at least one company in Australia who have done it:

https://www.fonzarelli.co/fonzshop/

Rocket-red.png

But they're selling at ridiculous prices.  $5,490 AUD for a very basic machine with 50km range.  No FOC controller (losing about ~10% in efficiency), no ABS, outdated halogen headlight.  You'd be far better off with a ~$3,000 petrol scooter, which will be bigger, more comfortable, and have a range of ~300km on a tank containing ~$10 worth of fuel.

The exact same electric scooter goes for ~$800 AUD in China, which is a probably a good indicator of the cost of transport, certification, and taxes involved in entering the Australian market.  China has essentially no regulations for this sort of stuff, which is why it's seen rapid innovation as the associated technologies (brushless pancake motors, FOC controllers, and lithium batteries) have developed.

Edited by tastywheat, 19 February 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#28 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,655 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 07:21 AM

an 03 bravo 4x4 dualcab, 382,812kms to date.

20160319_111419.jpg

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy, 21 February 2017 - 07:22 AM.

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

#29 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,332 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:05 PM

But they're selling at ridiculous prices.  $5,490 AUD for a very basic machine with 50km range.  No FOC controller (losing about ~10% in efficiency), no ABS, outdated halogen headlight.  You'd be far better off with a ~$3,000 petrol scooter, which will be bigger, more comfortable, and have a range of ~300km on a tank containing ~$10 worth of fuel.

The exact same electric scooter goes for ~$800 AUD in China, which is a probably a good indicator of the cost of transport, certification, and taxes involved in entering the Australian market.  China has essentially no regulations for this sort of stuff, which is why it's seen rapid innovation as the associated technologies (brushless pancake motors, FOC controllers, and lithium batteries) have developed.

Damn that's way overpriced.

As for a vehicle I would like.

Not a car but something like

https://www.caseih.c...es/farmall-110c

80Kw, 12 forward and 12 reverse gears with forward reverse shuttle.

110C.JPG?v=1471031786895

Would keep me amused.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

It cost the equivalent of around $1000 AUD (5000rmb), and is pretty damn convenient for city riding.

It sucks when it rains, and I miss the speed of my old motorbike.  However, it's quicker than most cars off the mark, fun to ride, and cuts straight through Chinese traffic.

See, this is where you make some decent coin.

You sell them on ebay with "This is not to be used on road" warnings, and let US, the consumer, worry about 'roadworthy' and 'compliance'.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#31 GTAV6

GTAV6

Champion

• Hero
  • 6,633 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:30 AM

We have a 2011 Citroën C5 Touring. Despite sipping on the Devil's juice and being a big heavy vehicle, it's blisteringly fast - deceptively so, in that it's not what you'd expect from such a car. Uses virtually no fuel, no matter how hard you drive it (and it's a 3.0 twin turbo), but it eats tires at a prodigious rate...

I'd post a picture, but Photobucket seems to be broken :o(

Attention: This post does not possess a brain - Please use your own.

http://www.thexman.net.nz/

#32 brenda55

brenda55

Serf

• Lurker
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Nice pics Matt. I love the blue color.

#33 Matt Ingle

Matt Ingle

Charge

• Atomican
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:20 AM

Nice pics Matt. I love the blue color.

Thank you Brenda. It is a nice blue :)

IMG-20170121-WA0015.jpg

20170121_101810-2.jpg

Had it for about a month now. Just about at the end of the engine run in period.

Sooo much fun even at half revs!

In true atomic fashion I plan to "overclock" it.

I have a secondary ECU ready to put in it at some stage which will raise the engine output to 316KW, 582nm and 430hp.

Dream car would be a McLaren, but just that, a dream.

Next car after this, I'm hoping some kind of EV car, hopefully EVs will be more common by then.

Mate, that car is bloody nice! I have personally been looking at the Ford Focus RS 2016 model, but they reckon the Merc A45 is quicker. I love the colour!

#34 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:19 AM

Saw a little green toyota on the weekend with a FRO65 number plate.

I regret buying a base model car, I won't make the same mistake next time.

I will be looking at a Cerato or Elantra next time around.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

Saw a little green toyota on the weekend with a FRO65 number plate.

I regret buying a base model car, I won't make the same mistake next time.

I will be looking at a Cerato or Elantra next time around.

Unless the market shifts, the current "top buy" for non mechanic types is easily the KIA's.

7 year Fixed price servicing.

7 year unlimited KM warranty.

24 months free RACQ

and something like $25k drive away for a RIO, which is actually incredibly nice inside! It's not "cheap and cheerful", it's like someone took a 90's BMW, upgraded the fabric choices, and shrunk it.

It's damn nice for a 'cheap car'.

Also, KIA basically being Hyundai now, with their "new found" reliability reputation, I wouldn't even be nervous.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 06 March 2017 - 11:54 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#36 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,686 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

My 5 year lease won't be up until 2021, so I guess I'll keep an eye on these cars for the next few years,

(hopefully there'll be something decent in my price range by the time my lease is up)

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#37 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Kia, really I dunno.  I had one as a courtesy hire car for a week (newish Sportiva) about 18 months ago and found it to be OK.

But I've driven a good number of older ones around 1997-2004 models.  The manuals, they seem born with a disgusting sloppy gearshift.  They had some shocking issues with some models too, like one where the pedal box just disintegrated due to shoddy manufacturing.

To me they just seem like the cellar-dwellers, fighting off the cheap PacRim shit from Daewoo, Proton and the like.  Sure, they do have a few good modern models but they do seem to be the shared with Hyundai ones (both them and Hyundai used to have fairly close ties with Mitsubishi, and there's also an older Kia or two that used the Mazda B engine).

Hyundai seem to be the up-market part of the arrangement, aspiring to (usually with a good degree of success) mix it up with the likes of Mazda and Honda.

#38 Matt Ingle

Matt Ingle

Charge

• Atomican
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Kia, really I dunno.  I had one as a courtesy hire car for a week (newish Sportiva) about 18 months ago and found it to be OK.

But I've driven a good number of older ones around 1997-2004 models.  The manuals, they seem born with a disgusting sloppy gearshift.  They had some shocking issues with some models too, like one where the pedal box just disintegrated due to shoddy manufacturing.

To me they just seem like the cellar-dwellers, fighting off the cheap PacRim shit from Daewoo, Proton and the like.  Sure, they do have a few good modern models but they do seem to be the shared with Hyundai ones (both them and Hyundai used to have fairly close ties with Mitsubishi, and there's also an older Kia or two that used the Mazda B engine).

Hyundai seem to be the up-market part of the arrangement, aspiring to (usually with a good degree of success) mix it up with the likes of Mazda and Honda.

Yeah mate, but if you looked at Hyundai back from the early 90s they were the same. Both companies have come a long way with their vehicles. Not to say I would buy one, but if I had to drive a new, cheap and reliable car they would be a pretty good pick.

Edited by Matt Ingle, 06 March 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#39 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,502 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Some of the early Hyundais imported were very nasty pieces of work.  Some of the ones into early 2000s not too great either.  Some ugly ones like Lantra/Elantra and their early attempts at medium/large luxury were a bit comical.

But for the most part they really got their act together by the mid 1990s.

#40 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:47 AM

A lot has changed.

Hyundai and Kia are now basically the same cars.

To the point that most of them share a chassis and driveline.

For example, the Hyundai i30 diesel, and the Kia Soul.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Cars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users