7 replies to this topic

#1 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:23 PM

Gday.

Looking to upgrade my monitor and want some 144hz action! Only run a 970 so will still have to be 1920*1080 and prefer 24".
Unsure how a 27 at 1920*1080 would look. My bro has a 27" at 2560*1440(??)and it looks amazing but I feel my 970 wouldn't handle it well.
Not really up to date but was looking at the BenQ zowie range.

BenQ Zowie XL2430 and ASUS VG248QE.
Btw I currently have: BenQ bl2400pt
Anyone got more knowledge on the subject?
"From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!" 

#2 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,712 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 10:52 PM

"only" a 970, he says.

That card was released for serious gamers, and not that long ago either.  You won't be happy with it at 4K, but anything less and you're zooming.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,794 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Yup, 1440p will be FINE.

ABSOLUTE worst case, you MIGHT have to drop from "Ultra" shadows to "High" in A+ new titles; but I seriously doubt it.

Might just have to settle with 2X AA and AF, not 4X.

144Hz would be cool, but dont be put of fby the slightly lower ones either. If you're used to 60hz, Even the minimum freesync '75hz' is a HUGE jump.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,507 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

​thirded.

no pung intended

#5 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:59 PM

Haha! Sorry about my language I used "only" because most of my buds run 1070 or 1080s. So it'll be sweet for 144hz @1440p res? I've read a few conflicting posts online. I might give my bros monitor a run.

Anyway any thoughts on a solid panel then?
"From the Ghastly Eyrie I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point I declare with utter certainty that this one is in the bag!" 

#6 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:32 PM

After some further reading it seems to be that the general consensus is a 970 wont run 144hz @ 2560x1440 very well on AAA titles.

I might just aim for 144hz @ 1080p instead.

#7 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,507 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:11 PM

​​

​"wont run 144hz @ 2560x1440 very well"

​does this mean you were hoping to hit over 144 fps at a minimum ?   -- because you werent clear if that is your goal or not. 

​i assume your current monitor is 60Hz.  the BenQ XL2430 you mentioned is 1080p and throwing anything consistently over 90 fps at it with vsync off will look better and you'll get less input lag than with vsync on.  btw, the XL2430T  can be locked down to 120Hz or 100Hz.

youre limited by your card either way, in that if youre aiming for maximum eye candy in the newest games (even at 1080p) then youre not going to be hitting frame rates high enough to have vsync off and will get minimal benefit out of a standard 144hz monitor.  however, if youre planning on holding onto the card for a while (and perhaps plan to go with nVidia next time) definitely look at something with G-Sync.  then, you will get the exact number of frames your card produces without tearing etc.   btw, there was (is?) a module available to convert the Asus one you mentioned to g-sync. 

conversely, if you might go with AMD in future, definitely consider something like AOC G2460PF which has Freesync.

no pung intended

#8 revert

revert

Apprentice

• Atomican
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:29 PM

Right! That was very informative.
I think I'll grab the BenQ which is the T model as you stated and tinker with that. My current monitor is 8ms input lag iirc so this will be an upgrade for sure

Cheers for the info

Edited by revert, 20 February 2017 - 10:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users