• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

i had written a long rave about tweaking the video settings, but i fucked up a keystroke and deleted it all... i hate that

long story short, i thought the elpida vram was crap in my giga gtx 760 (and most other situations), until i bumped my main ram's vdimm to help the ares handle the high clocks i demanded  : 2133 with latencies at 10-12-12-31 - it's meant to do 2400 at 11-13-13-31, but rated to do it with 1.65v, and my marginally less speed (the highest the sandy is capable of comfortably doing) was at stock 1.5v, which i gently nudged to 1.54, the smallest increment the bios would allow

previously gaming would crash the driver, but not bluescreen ... but occasionally black screen, and i thought the vram was the culprit, as keeping it almost stock was much less inclined to do so; rig specs below, and the impetus to overclock was the upgrade to u2515h from the previous u2410 which was pretty schmick at stock for the 760, but the move from 1920x1200 to 1440p is a major increase in required grunt

i5-2500k 4.2ghz @1.225v / megahalems / gigabyte z77-d3h / samsung 850 evo msata 250 / 2x8gb G.Skill ares @ 2133 / asus xonar d2 + klipsch promedia ultra 2.0 + ath ad700 / Lian Li PC-A17B & corsair hx750i & noctua fans / gigabyte gtx760 oc windforce / dell u2515h

wow, did i underestimate the elpida... it's clocking like samsung despite gpuz telling me it is eplida

check out them numbers :  https://www.techpowe...z/details/n8xmv

the gpu is pretty much maxed, but the vram hasn't had any issue despite jumping ion increments of 50 - 100 to here, and i sorta just stopped because i doubt more bandwidth will actually add benefit at this stupidly big number

i'm impressed... all this is at stock volts for the card, as i haven't managed to understand the possibility of using the guru software to add 8% volts "safely" to the card

feel free to admire my e-peen; is there any great joy to be had in making vram even faster ? i know more on the core is good, but currently it boosts in gaming to measure just shy of 1400 ! and it does 1401 according to ungine heaven benchmark...  beast !!

Edited by scruffy1, 06 March 2017 - 11:39 PM.

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Subject header says GTX960!

Cortana at your service

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,478 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:17 PM

Yeah, I clicked at once as that's what I'm running now.N

Haven't played with OCing at all, not even sure if the driver auto OC is active.  From memory I just intalled MSI Afterburner in aid of controlling the fan properly.

#4 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

shit, sorry, i am major derp

now that i've been running some gaming on it, i have taken the liberty of bumping the core volts by 0.013v - the max and only adjust available in the guru interface (and all the others too i expect, as it's pretty much locked unless i can find a bios mod, and i'm just not that hard core), and toning down the vram to a mere +892 which is still a mad boost

the gpu is at +93, and i nudged my ares to 1.56v because i have a sneaking suspicion that it is more a destabilising influence than i previously recognised

i doubt the card will be too stressed - with the windforce it maxes temp at ~ 73c gaming

and if i kill it then i will be obliged to replace it - ocau has sold several gtx970's at around the $200 mark in the last few weeks, and there are 1060's asking for $250 (and a pair of stric 1080-'s for $600 each . . . !  i am back with the green team after my 7950 boost experiences, having switched to the red team with a 5770 and stayed for half a decade - the 760 creams the 7950

depending on your screen the overclocking is variably useful, rybags - the u2410 was fully blitzed by the 760, but 1440p is a 50% increase in work, and although it is still a great card, it is struggling to use the screen resolution to anywhere near potential

and try as i might i can't edit the title, but the mods are welcome to remedy my brainfart clickbait

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,478 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:31 PM

Got some bench scores?  Like 3DMark, 3DMark11, Vantage?

#6 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:22 PM

soz, no

my days of chasing numbers has sorta matured into simply killing stuff... so the only benching in ungine heaven and metro last light, rather than serious runs with the panaflo or delta  ghetto rigged on the thermalright arm

with the next gen of video cards about to drop, i can sense a gtx980 would be the sweet spot, as bleeding edge twitchers feel the need to buy a new card... but despite getting the overkill corsair hx750i as rma for my hx650 that conveniently got major fan squeak just 2 months shy of its 7 year warranty expiring  (all hail be to corsair even if shipping the old model cost $80 - cheapest platinum psu i ever got for the exchange cost)... i'd really like a gtx1070, as they are just so crazy power efficient, and i am over room heating

hard to justify as a casual gamer

i do like that the gtx970 is ~50% more powerful graphically than the 760, which would be good (but not outrageously so) on the 1440p, and that the power draw is pretty much identical; despite the improvement

the longer i wait, the less i'll pay regardless, and i'm not in a huge hurry

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:39 AM

Should be able to pick up a GTX9x0 cheap these days with people getting GTX1070s

Cortana at your service

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,478 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

Seems the definition of requirements for medium/high end gaming is a lot broader - you can have 4K and/or dual VR which in both cases can be a lot more demanding than good old 1080.  Not to mention mutli-monitor configs of 1440 or bigger.

#9 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

well, looks like guru as an overclocking tool is not quite capable

i reverted to an oldie but a goodie, afterburner, although i knew it from the good old days when it was riva tuner and allowed me to unlock the full goodness of my xfx 6800gs to the full ultra .. ah, them was the days, cranking up the socket a system and then shortly thereafter blitzing it with 939 before intel eventually regained the upper hand with c2duo

+75 core and +298 on the vram for now, and all at stock volts... that'll do pig, that'll do

but i am keen for more video grunt now

when is the next gen of the green team out ?  that will signal bargains on the upgrade cycle trade ins by bleeding edgers :)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#10 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,478 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'd guess a while yet to the next series, GF 10 only released May 2016.

Dynamic overclocking is standard on some editions these days, with it provided by bloatware included with the card.  Of course they don't seem to put a lot of effort in and the fan speed selection is a joke.

Another thing I found in the past but seems to have improved is 3D detection.  My older ATI HD cards would sometimes get stuck in the 3D speed rather than the big underclock that's supposed to be the desktop default.

Bottom line is you generally need to piss around with it yourself and don't necessarily trust the software which comes in the box.

#11 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

dynamic overclocking is standard, but upping the base / boost clock still gets you a reasonable hit of "free" performance gain :)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vram, elpida, overclock

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users