13 replies to this topic

#1 Splash1

Splash1

Apprentice

• Quark
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I last posted a question, and that being: "Windows 7 Updates. How large a file too Download?" , and I haven't progressed much from there  for a whole host of reasons !

So I still have a Windows 7 Ultimate Sp1 disc in hand and would like to know if its still going to be straight forward for me to install ! Having just read this artical > "Sticking with Windows 7? Make sure you do these 5 things first"

, has given me some incite and confidence to success.

However, I still have concern having just read some recent horror story's regarding people installing Win7 for the first time and their updates letting them down. Then, although various solutions have been posted on line, the fingers been pointed with various hints of conspiracy at Microsoft trying to slow down updates so everyone rolls over to Windows10. You have probably heard the stories among others.

So putting conspiracies aside, should I be good to go for a successful install and updates? Has anyone recently installed and encountered any problems?

My installation disk is genuine, just hasn't been used yet. :(

Edited by Splash1, 08 March 2017 - 02:13 PM.

i7-940@2.93GHz / GA-EX58-UD5 / Corsair 6Gb DDR3(TR3X6G1600C8D) / Nvidia GTS250(267.24) / RAID5 - 3x WD1500HLFS / Corsair HX620W / Lian Li PC-A20B / 24"ASUS MK241H(1920x1200) / Vista 64bit Ultimate. CH FighterStick & ProThrottle / TrackIRv4 / Logitech G15 KB & G9 Mouse - FSX (Gold)/ FTX OrbX / REX2.0 / ActiveSky.Ev / RCv4.3 / FSC / FSPX / AUTraffic301 / Ozx / Air Hauler Fan / Falcon BMS

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,921 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Yes, it'll be no problem. Microsoft are even providing monthly "Bulk Downloads" down updates now, as an alternative to patching automatically. It's really great!

That said, if windows 10 is an option, you'd be an outright fool to choose it over windows 10. It's just a night and day performance difference.

Unless you have a piece of mission critical software that won't run on 10, upgrade. (protip; it's still free if you google for vision impaired windows 10)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,013 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:00 PM

+1 on just going to Win10 unless you absolutely need 7 installed.

If you download the win10 installer for your system, and do a fresh install using your win7 key, there's a good chance it'll work and activate for free.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,921 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

+1 on just going to Win10 unless you absolutely need 7 installed.

If you download the win10 installer for your system, and do a fresh install using your win7 key, there's a good chance it'll work and activate for free.

100% chance if he uses this link

https://www.microsof...indows10upgrade

Which, I'm sure, like me, he needs assistive technology. Poor thing.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:38 PM

Win7 SP1 is "current" - though that said there's plenty of updates of which many are security related.

There's a site I've used that sets up a download and grabs all cumulative maintenance needed for a product in a bundle for you:  http://download.wsusoffline.net/

For more info hit up Google with "wsusoffline" - there's a bit of complexity but bottom line is you can get nice bundled packages with all needed updates which you can then save and install at your leisure with no 'net connection needed on the target machine.

But yeah... problem with Win7 is support is going down, device drivers for new gear are becoming scarce.  It doesn't support USB 3 out of the box which sucks a bit.

Problem with Win10 on the other hand, the innards seem good, the file copy although somewhat slow rocks with the pause facility but the look/feel of the rest sort of sucks and it doesn't play nice with lots of older hardware.

Though the look/feel suckery can be overcome with alternate shells and themes.  I'll probably install it on one of my frequently used machines soon.

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,580 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

I'm moving from my win 7 desktop to a windows 10 one now at work.
Given I've been installing new win 10 desktops for others for like a year now. I know what problems to expect. It's far from painless change as a lot of things break.

Cortana at your service

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

Just powered up desktop #2 i7 and realise I do actually have a fairly fresh install.

Now once other experimentation is done, I'll try some ClassicShell + alternate themes and see what I can get.

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,921 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:52 AM

I know what problems to expect. It's far from painless change as a lot of things break.

That's an odd report.

Like what, out of curiosity?

We've rolled out on the spot updates to 10 on about 18 different models and a few hundred devices; and despite being on a domain, a lot of users have local admin rights, so have very 'custom' setups.

We didnt find anything actually broke!

Well, minus secure printing from EDGE, but that's another whole story.....

#9 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,580 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

I know what problems to expect. It's far from painless change as a lot of things break.

That's an odd report.

Like what, out of curiosity?

We've rolled out on the spot updates to 10 on about 18 different models and a few hundred devices; and despite being on a domain, a lot of users have local admin rights, so have very 'custom' setups.

We didnt find anything actually broke!

Well, minus secure printing from EDGE, but that's another whole story.....

We use weird ass industry software which can very particular to OS environment, software like MS Office isn't an issue except ancient versions of Office but that's something else. Some of these programs pretty much demand Administrator access to even run, and UAC just goes into overdrive.

Edited by Jeruselem, 09 March 2017 - 09:27 AM.

Cortana at your service

#10 bowlen

bowlen

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 3,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

I would never install W7 again unless it was for a company that had a W7 SOE.  W10 all the way.

Intel i7 3770k | Corsair 32GB Kit DDR3 | Vengeance C9 1600MHz | Samsung 250gb SSD | WD Caviar Green 3tb | WD Caviar Green 2tb | Seagate Barracuda 4tb | WD Black 2TB | AFOX GeForce GTX660 | TI ASRock Z77 Fatal1ty Professional LGA1155 ATX | Thermaltake Chaser A31 USB3.0 Black Mid Tower | Samsung 21.5" HD LED x 2 | Corsair AX860 860W 80PLUS

#11 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:13 AM

Not much point installing Win 7 or 8.1 on newer hardware, MS has disabled updates for those OSes on the latest CPUs.

https://www.itnews.c...hardware-455321

Microsoft earlier this month said Windows 7 and 8.1 computers with Intel's 7th generation Core processors, and those with AMD Bristol Ridge and Qualcomm 8996 chips or later, "may no longer be able to scan or download updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Update".

Instead, Microsoft wants users to upgrade to Windows 10 if they have the latest hardware, despite Windows 7 being supported to 2020 by Microsoft. Windows 8.1 is supported to 2023.

#12 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,580 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

I guess if you're running a skylake, kabylake, ryzen or cannon lake CPU you really should be using Windows 10, or some newer kernel Linux

Cortana at your service

#13 EthanStark

EthanStark

Serf

• Lurker
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:44 PM

Hello Guys,

This is Ethan.Microsoft is pulled the plug on Windows Vista support on April 11 2017, and Windows XP hasn't received security patches for a while now. In the wake of multiple ransomware attacks, Microsoft has taken the unusual step of issuing a patch for both operating systems because of the high risk and fact that millions of people are still using these versions of Windows.However, this has come after computers have been infected, which is why it's best to use a version of Windows that receives automatic updates that help to protect you (and your files) from disaster.Windows 8 isn't supported either, but most machines with Windows 8 should have been updated to Windows 8.1, which is still supported. Windows 7 also receives updates and will until 14 January 2020.On ending support for Vista, Microsoft said, "the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies", meaning that it will no longer receive Windows security updates, nor will developers offer support for the dated operating system. We advise upgrading to Windows 10 if possible after this date, as you'll have limited access to new software and may be vulnerable in terms of online security. 

Ethan Stark

Software Developer 

#14 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,711 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:56 PM

C'mon.  Where's the spam links?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users