Photo

That time of year when new Mobile Phones come out.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy

Champion

• Atomican
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:14 AM

With the release of new models of Mobile Phones out soon, Do you need or want a new phone ?

I have a Samsung Note 3, Works fine but the microphone and speaker is shot.

Currently looking at a Samsung S8.

What do you think of the current generation of phones with the water proof rating ?

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

I think the s8 would be the best with waterproofing if it's like the s7. The iPhone 7 is pretty good. The new HTC models and google pixel not so good.

Cortana at your service

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,508 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

Seems I got the last of the old then.

What gets me about some modern phones - why the insistence on just being thin?  Thin usually = flimsy which means you want a case for it anyway.  And if the screen is over 4.5" then 7mm or 9mm wide makes SFA difference in the pocket.

And power buttons, why can't we just have it on top where it's less convenient by a little bit but way less prone to inadvertant activation than on the side or back?

#4 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,719 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:36 AM

I would love to have a new SGS-VIII, but I don't actually need one and can't justify buying it.  My old S-V is still working just fine.  (Come to that, the S-III that I gifted to Mum when I bought the S-V is still going strong, too - and on its original battery!)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

Sony might be another option but no one cares about what they sell these days.
The new nokias might not hsve any waterproofing like mine.

Cortana at your service

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,799 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

YES!

Blackberry KEYone

BlackBerry-KEYone-17-840x561.jpg

I don't game, and I message and multitask a lot.

So, even ignoring the other features like good specs, expandable memory, huge battery and impressive price point (considering the USUAL 'Australia tax')

The Physical Keyboard wins it!

I don't watch movies on my phone, and I don't game. So really this adds worlds for me, and loses.... nothing.

Android ecosystem, 3500mah battery, and 4.5" screen.....

Fucking pumped! I actually have a thread on it :P

The new nokias might not hsve any waterproofing like mine.

It's funny, people love to "rate" waterproofing, but I've not actually met anyone IRL who's drowned a phone (or at least, if I have, never more than once).

And when I got stuck in the 2011 floods and had to walk through them, a quick wash with Isopro and my phone was fine again.

Basically; waterproofing doesnt excite me, I don't intend to swim with it.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#7 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,413 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

I know a phone repairer, the number of times a customer has dropped a phone into puddle of water he's lost count.

And I'm in Darwin and at the moment it's wet season meaning everything is just soggy, and water is everywhere for phones to fall into.

Cortana at your service

#8 BookWorm.303

BookWorm.303

Master

• Atomican
  • 968 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

I don't think I'll be upgrading for a fair few years... My S7 Edge is just right for me.

I when I picked it up from Telsta, i quipped that it is "Australia resistant." unlike the previous generation S phones.

I once split coffee on it, and washed the Edge off under the tap

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes... or should I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users