• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:17 PM

Not sure whether this is the right place for this question, and it's rather basic BUT..

I have an old(er) AMD Radeon HD 6900 and am considering an upgrade. Most games run quite well still, but I'm feeling the itch to upgrade.

What do you think?

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:49 PM

Depends on various things - what resolution/s do you like to run at, multi-monitor, are you fussy in that you want the latest DirectX features?  Do you mind bumping quality settings down in order to keep the framerate up?

The old high-end HD series cards can still often hold their own against current midrange at lower resolutions (in this age, 1920x1080 is probably considered medium).

If you've got mid $200s to spend, a used GTX970 could be had - also I've noticed numerous ads where people have bought 1060s and 1070s and are offloading them to go bigger.

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

What's the budget you're working with?

MTM NBN with FTTP/FTTH, FTTN, FTTC/FTTdp, HFC and Satellite. Buffering included

#4 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

Currently running 1680x1050, single monitor. Wont be adding additional monitors anytime soon.

Prefer to keep settings higher.

Budget is up to 300, maybe 350

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

New, GTX 1060 seem to fall in the range of about $280-$430.  For futureproofing you'd probably be best off going 4 Gig VRam minimum.

From AMD, RX 470 and 480 covers the same range + a bit each side.

Problem with AMD at the moment (the next generation will probably change things somewhat) is they lag in performance, value for money and generally use more power and generate more heat.

The drivers - the control panel of both types I have little time for but AMD is better in that regard.  Consistency as almost always to nVidia though, generally their cards will perform near their best at release with slight improvements over time where AMD/ATI have often not the same case.

Edited by Rybags, 29 March 2017 - 08:27 PM.

#6 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

That's pretty much rx470 and rx480 and Gtx1060 range pricing.
Or even the Gtx1050 ti being cheaper. Or RX460. But those are slower ...

Edited by Jeruselem, 30 March 2017 - 02:10 PM.

#7 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for the advice.

I was prompted to consider an upgrade by constant crashes with Grim Dawn. I have reduced the video settings and it appears to be stable now.

Might look at the 1060s..

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

Get the 6GB version, not the 3GB one if possible.

#9 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

Right.

Today I may have gotten a little carried away and picked up a 1070.

I've now discovered that it requires an 8 pin PCIE power cable, and my dear old Antec Truepower Trio 550W has two 6 pin cables only.

Would it be safe/advisable to grab a dual 6 pin to 8 pin cable, or get an entirely new PSU?

#10 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

Supposedly they have a TDP of only 150W.  Just using the 6 to 8 adaptor should be fine.

#11 ssar

ssar

Charge

• Atomican
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

That's pretty much rx470 and rx480 and Gtx1060 range pricing.
Or even the Gtx1050 ti being cheaper. Or RX460. But those are slower ...

I bought an ASUS RX480 via amazon.co.uk (for ~AUD$265, saving ~$100) back in Mar17 and it's developed a fault.
(ASUS DUAL-RX480-O4G Radeon 4 GB RX 480)

Looks like some electronic fault or some such was causing it to intermittently cease sending any video out signal, particularly when attempting to load & run 3D-graphical games. Then more recently simply attempting to play videos.
A few days ago it failed (monitor signals stopped abruptly) and now it won't send a signal at all.
I removed it and re-inserted an older PCI-e video card (PC running Win 7 Enterprise 64-Bit) which boots and sends the monitor video signal fine.

ASUS Service Australia has advised that no global warranty applies to ASUS VGA cards, & since it was not bought in Aust. no warranty applies, which is disappointing.

I expected most mainstream global brand electronic products would have a 12-month warranty pretty much regardless.

Edited by ssar, 01 July 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#12 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

i believe amazon should cover you for one year if you send it back to them so try contact the place you purchased it

evga is one of the few that supports international warranty but there nvidia only

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#13 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

Sad to hear Asus are being awful about the warranty ssar. See if amazon has a warranty you can use.

#14 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

If you can find a contact in the country of origin, you can try sending it to them through that method

Unfortunately, the only company that offers worldwide warranty is EVGA...

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#15 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,295 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

ASUS Service Australia has advised that no global warranty applies to ASUS VGA cards, & since it was not bought in Aust. no warranty applies, which is disappointing.
I expected most mainstream global brand electronic products would have a 12-month warranty pretty much regardless.

Out of curiosity, did you tell them you'd moved countries, or had bought it/shipped it from the opposite side of the world?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#16 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:51 AM

If you can find a contact in the country of origin, you can try sending it to them through that method

Unfortunately, the only company that offers worldwide warranty is EVGA...

I know who I'll be buying then!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#17 ssar

ssar

Charge

• Atomican
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

Out of curiosity, did you tell them you'd moved countries, or had bought it/shipped it from the opposite side of the world?

Yea, I advised straight up that I'd bought it via Amazon UK, shipped internationally to me here in Australia.

Hmm, wonder if I shouldv'e tried not to advise that? Probably would have had to eventually, with the Tax Invoice details, shrug.

Looks like I'll have to send it to ASUS service centre Sydney for Out Of Warranty service, $44 initial examination, then quote I guess. Doh.

#18 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,097 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I've had a laptop repaired by ASUS, they aren't the fastest at all, Took them months (sure it sat around most of the time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users