• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BookWorm.303

BookWorm.303

Master

• Atomican
  • 969 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

The hard drive I have installed for Windows 10, it's rather small.

I'd like some tips on how to migrate the whole hard drive contents and  partition to a new  larger hard drive

I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes... or should I?

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,011 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

I've used a freebie by the name of AOEMI Backupper from http://www.backup-utility.com/

How you go about the whole process can be dependent on how the partitions are setup on the source drive but generally the EFI stuff will be before the OS but there might be a recovery partition after the OS which makes simply extending the OS partition on the new drive a bit more complex.

Another freebie to do partitioning stuff I've recently used is MiniTool Partition Wizard from https://www.partitionwizard.com/

I think the free version supports relocating partitions.  If there's a recovery partition that follows the OS then you'd want to move it to the end of the drive then extend the OS partition (or just make a second partition to use for data).

Generally doing an "intelligent copy" rather than full clone will be quicker, the first type will pay respect to known file systems and only copy data that's in use rather than sector by sector copy of the entire partition which can take a lot longer.

Speed in general - if you can use USB 3.0 drive caddies or adaptors or have the drives on Sata2 channels then the whole thing can run a lot quicker.

If you can't give each drive a fast IO channel then put the destination drive on the slowest one.

You might get a situation where the dest drive is non-bootable, usually the required fix is to just use command-line tools to mark the main partition as active, keep a bootable Windows USB drive handy for this sort of stuff, it doesn't have to be an installer for the exact version you have, even a Windows 7 x86 installer can be used for such things on a Win10 x64 install.

Remember if you're moving to an SSD then you'd want to be running the Sata channel involved in AHCI mode.  Usually a simple Bios setting but there's usually pre-requisite work to be done inside Windows so that it boots up properly.

Edited by Rybags, 07 April 2017 - 05:21 PM.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,099 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Im a fan of offline work on my drives.

If I was in your shoes, I'd get a gParted boot CD and load it Live.

Then I'd clone the HDD in its entirety, to the new drive.

Then grow the partition.

Mark it as bootable.

Then be done.

If you decide to use this tool, be sure to hit 'Go' after you've queued up your steps.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 10 April 2017 - 09:20 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

If you have bought a new HDD check the manufacturers web site as they sometimes off free versions of commercial cloning software to clone an old drive to a new drive.

Otherwise grab Macrium Reflect Free

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

as it can do disk to disk cloning.

Won't work if you have dynamic disk partitions though.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#5 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,881 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

The safest way is to clone original drive to the new drive (don't get it the wrong way round). Some software allows you change partiition sizes during cloning on the target drive

Is your Android and iOS WiFi on KRACK?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users