10 replies to this topic

#1 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:32 PM

Anyone using this?

I've been looking to change browser lately as Firefox just slows down too much with the extensions I have to put onto it to make it work the way I want (and older versions did what I wanted with about 4 less of them).

The two biggest interface items I want are customizable gestures and the tab bar vertical on the left hand side.  I tried Chrome and Opera to get both, the gestures part is pretty easy but the vertical tab ability requires extensions in both cases and the ones I tried all have their annoyances.

So, a bit of research later - it turns out Opera has been Chromium based for a while and in fact there's other browsers that use the engine but present their own look and feel to the application side of things.  Vivaldi being one that seems like it was almost built to order for me.

Vertical tab ability built in so no need for an extension there.  Gestures likewise although the built in ability isn't to my liking in some regards so instead I've disabled it and using "Clean crxMouse Gestures" instead (the browser can use Chrome extensions).

Still wanting in some areas but extensions have covered a few of the bases:

- themes from Chrome are ignored, you can use built in themes or define your own but they're very basic with only a few colour and transparency options.

- bookmarks.  I like the old way where they just have an entire pulldown menu devoted to the overall tree structure of the things but it's a case of either use multiple clicks and moves or add an extension which gets you part the way there.

- undo close tab with history.  With FF I have it in the tab context menu but Vivaldi has the rubbish bin icon with recent history where you can restore closed tabs.

- I like the traditional pulldown menu style and it's still an option, the main problem being that getting to bookmarks isn't quick enough.

So far I've noticed it runs pretty quickly but one alarming thing is that the memory usage seems to be huge, even worse than Firefox.  Generally I've needed to shut down my FF session once it gets a bit "old" and I'll generally clear recent tab history, close anything not needed then stop/start it with about a dozen active tabs which usually reduces the memory bloat from ~ 1.3 Gig down to about 350 Meg.  I noticed that from initial start with the same assortment of pages Vivaldi would be using about twice that.

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

I use waterfox.

110% firefox compatible, but compiled in C, and 64bit exclusive.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,804 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

If it's Chromium based, then it will be a memory hog like Chrome is.

Cortana at your service

#4 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,559 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:07 PM

well if that doesnt work out, maybe check out Waterfox as MS mentioned, or Pale Moon

in FF i always re-enable the traditional pull-down menu, and use it for bookmarks, with temp folders in bookmark tabs.  but when it comes to sorting through a long complicated tree, i expand the bookmarks out of the left margin with the All-In-One Sidebar extension.

but yeah, FF is getting so bloated and slow these days.  the only reason i havent tried 64-bit Waterfox yet is because i am expecting some important extensions to break.

btw, what do you use gestures for?  ive never even thought about them.

no pung intended

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:28 PM

Gestures once you start and get used to them are something you'll never want to go without.  I used to use them with middle button but since my mouse has the middle button under the scroll wheel I use the right button for gestures now.

I use gestures for refresh, close tab, next/prev tab and move to top/bottom of page.  The beauty being that you do these things without having to move the pointer more than a cm or so in each direction.

But like I said before, getting a working vertical tabs solution has been the biggest hurdle.

My annoyance with Firefox is that the user interface has barely progressed in several years, in fact one of few at all improvements was "Paste & go" and in most other respects it's gone backwards with such stupid ideas as putting frequently used buttons on the right hand side of the screen and reducing the role of the traditional pulldown menu system.

Fair enough that you can get most/all of what you want via add-ons but like I said, the level of customization I've got going just makes it run like a dog and the storage creep is such that I have to quit and restart it at least 1-2 times a day.

#6 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:42 PM

I'm amazed Opera is still a thing.  I stopped using it just before they changed to a Chromium base - they'd already lost any worthwhile points of differentiation.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:48 PM

Every browser seems to have it's annoyances and problems.  Most have at least a redeeming feature or two that keeps them alive.

I've found something utterly weird with Vivaldi just then - trying to get live audio of the football game from MMM, works fine in Firefox but the audio is playing at about 10% of the speed it should in Vivaldi.

http://player.triplem.com.au/sydney#/

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:29 PM

I'm amazed Opera is still a thing.  I stopped using it just before they changed to a Chromium base - they'd already lost any worthwhile points of differentiation.

Opera stays alive thanks to its turbo\compression and thanks to it's built in VPN.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#9 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,334 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

i use waterfox, but i also use a logitech mx revolution mouse, so the numerous tweaks available using setpoint allow me to do most of the shiz gestures would allow, and also use a bespoke set in t'bird for mail, for the same benefits

my most compelling "feature" is an adblocker, and chrome when it forst came out i found was too try-hard in the layout, which annoyed me

mouse buttons are way more convenient than gestures imho

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#10 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,804 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

Opera stays alive thanks to its turbo\compression and thanks to it's built in VPN.

Just to note it's owned by a Chinese consortium now.

Cortana at your service

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:48 AM

Just to note it's owned by a Chinese consortium now.

Yup.

But I still don't care what China knows about me. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users