16 replies to this topic

#1 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:27 PM

Hello everyone,

So title says it all, I need help with a PC build for my brother.

First of all, he wants to spend 1k on the build that can be used for gaming and also general use, but wants the best possible specs within that price range. 

He does want an i7 in the mix and of course that comes with sacrifices, so I would greatly appreciate mixed builds too.

Thanks. 

I7-4770k - H75 Cooler - Z97-D3H - GTX760 4GB - G.skill Sniper 8GB 1600mhz - HCG-750M - Crucial BX100 250GB - Carbine Air 240 Case

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

He wants an i7?

Is he gaming or not?

Last thing he needs if he's gaming is an i7. and i5 is more than overkill.

If it's for the 'cool factor' Why not Rizen?

that budget requires second hand unless he has SOME old parts to put forward....

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

He wants an i7?

Is he gaming or not?

that budget requires second hand unless he has SOME old parts to put forward....

Pretty much a multi-purpose PC but the ability to hit gaming but nothing too intense like video editing or VM etc.

No parts to re-use, he's coming from an old Core 2 Duo build lol.

I7-4770k - H75 Cooler - Z97-D3H - GTX760 4GB - G.skill Sniper 8GB 1600mhz - HCG-750M - Crucial BX100 250GB - Carbine Air 240 Case

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:51 AM

He wants an i7?

Is he gaming or not?

Pretty much a multi-purpose PC but the ability to hit gaming but nothing too intense like video editing or VM etc.

A Core2Duo box will often have needed a decent power supply (CPU and GPU were 'hungrier' back then), and often the case is still good.

Monitor needs replacing too?

Keyboard mouse?

Can I offer some genuine advice here?

1. Go Rizen.

2. Build the 'Computer' with the $1k.

3. Save up an extra $300 and get a 1060 6GB graphics card in a few months.

If you try and game on a $1k PC, you'll be unhappy.

If you use the $1k to build a PC, then add a graphics card later, you'll be very pleased.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 03 May 2017 - 10:52 AM.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

A ground-up build can easily soak up the bucks, with virtually every upgrade I've done in the last 15 years I've ported across multiple components which eases the price pain.

The deliniation between i5 and i7 is a very grey area, there's plenty of i5s that give hyperthreading, there's lower speed i7s and plenty of i7s with onboard graphics and plenty of mobile i7s are only dual-core.

A decent used Skylake can save near 50% on that part and you can still get new motherboards easily.  Similarly there's plenty of DDR3 Ram being offloaded and savings to be had there.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

A ground-up build can easily soak up the bucks, with virtually every upgrade I've done in the last 15 years I've ported across multiple components which eases the price pain.

The deliniation between i5 and i7 is a very grey area, there's plenty of i5s that give hyperthreading, there's lower speed i7s and plenty of i7s with onboard graphics and plenty of mobile i7s are only dual-core.

A decent used Skylake can save near 50% on that part and you can still get new motherboards easily.  Similarly there's plenty of DDR3 Ram being offloaded and savings to be had there.

The fact that the brother 'needs help building a PC' but also 'wants an i7' suggests to me it's a wank\cool factor to show off to his mates.

I was like that... still kinda am (see my file server post :P).

If that's the case, This is why I suggest Rizen.

The performance is that of an i7 for cheaper, and if he's showing off, nothing is 'cooler' right now.

#7 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:32 PM

He wants an i7?

Is he gaming or not?

A Core2Duo box will often have needed a decent power supply (CPU and GPU were 'hungrier' back then), and often the case is still good.

Keyboard mouse?

1. Go Rizen.

If you use the $1k to build a PC, then add a graphics card later, you'll be very pleased.

He isn't familiar with computer specs at all and told him straight up it's not needed so instead I came here to seek advice as I really don't know what's good around the market for the budge stated.

Monitor, most likely some decent 1080p, feel free tor recommend and that's outside of the 1k.

Well yeah, some do buy an i7 for bragging rights, but I doubt that's his intentions at all.

He's misinformed rather lol, so I'll defs look into the Rizen alternative. 

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

He wants an i7?

Is he gaming or not?

Keyboard mouse?

1. Go Rizen.

He isn't familiar with computer specs at all and told him straight up it's not needed so instead I came here to seek advice as I really don't know what's good around the market for the budge stated.

Monitor, most likely some decent 1080p, feel free tor recommend and that's outside of the 1k.

Well yeah, some do buy an i7 for bragging rights, but I doubt that's his intentions at all.

OK, before the end of the day I'll try and throw together a build for you to reasearch :)

Is he very IT savvy from a software and data perspective?

For example, if he had two HDD's can he be expected to remember to 'put the right data on the right drive', or is he likely to just lump it all in its default install locations and what not?

#9 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

These days 22" is the minimum liveable monitor size IMO.  My main one is 24" and plenty of people use 27"

IPS panels will cost more than TN types, and there's still nasty budget monitors around.  Usually you can't go too far wrong though with the likes of Benq, Acer, LG, Samsung or Philips though there are other good ones and these guys have the odd dud as well.  If you shop around 22" might be found under $150 and 24" under $200.  Also note many monitors are a touch under those sizes so you may as well call a 23.6" a 24 incher.

Here we go... worth a look at Officeworks is a IPS Philips 23.6" for $219 https://www.officewo...6qdad-in3008746

Also worth a mention, check the monitor has modern type input ports, there's still DE15 (VGA) only ones going around.  Ideally you'd want DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI but realistically you'd only get 2 of those.  LED backlight important too but I don't think anyone makes CFL types any more.

Edited by Rybags, 03 May 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#10 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:46 PM

He wants an i7?

Is he gaming or not?

Keyboard mouse?

1. Go Rizen.

OK, before the end of the day I'll try and throw together a build for you to reasearch :)

Is he very IT savvy from a software and data perspective?

For example, if he had two HDD's can he be expected to remember to 'put the right data on the right drive', or is he likely to just lump it all in its default install locations and what not?

Thanks mate.

Well actually he would probably install on the bigger one lol unless there's an SSD in the mix.

So he's not that savvy.

These days 22" is the minimum liveable monitor size IMO.  My main one is 24" and plenty of people use 27"

IPS panels will cost more than TN types, and there's still nasty budget monitors around.  Usually you can't go too far wrong though with the likes of Benq, Acer, LG, Samsung or Philips though there are other good ones and these guys have the odd dud as well.  If you shop around 22" might be found under $150 and 24" under $200.  Also note many monitors are a touch under those sizes so you may as well call a 23.6" a 24 incher.

Here we go... worth a look at Officeworks is a IPS Philips 23.6" for $219 https://www.officewo...6qdad-in3008746

Also worth a mention, check the monitor has modern type input ports, there's still DE15 (VGA) only ones going around.  Ideally you'd want DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI but realistically you'd only get 2 of those.  LED backlight important too but I don't think anyone makes CFL types any more.

Appreciate it, will look into this one!

Edited by belal wow, 03 May 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

OK lets break this down:

[Thermaltake Versa N23 Mid-Tower Chassis with 600W 80+ PSU]
$119.00

I Chose this case and PSU because its 80+ rated so its a good PSU, and there's nothing worse than getting a new computer, and it looks like crap.

Yeah looks dont matter in performance, but being proud of your new 'toy' is a huge part people dont consider.

[Kingston 16GB kit (2 x 8GB) HX424C15FB2K2/16 Hyper X DDR4 2400Mhz]
$158.00     

This is the fastest RAM a Ryzen board without an updated BIOS will support.

This will be fixed with a BIOS update, but who cares? The extra money you spend on 'faster ram' is unlikely to ever make a user noticeable difference.

[Acer G237HL 23"IPS-LED,16:9,1920x1080,4ms,1000:1,1xVGA,1xHDMI,Speakers,Tilt]

$169.00     

23" is a decent size, and IPS means super bright and colorful, it also means you can view it from almost any angle. IPS is normally limited to 60hz, and will sometimes overclock to 70hz, so if he's COMPETITIVE gaming, even casually, he might want to go to a cheaper TN panel, because they're 'faster', but IPS is new and beautiful. For most people 60hz (60FPS) is enough.

[CM Storm Devastator II Gaming Keyboard & Mouse Red LED]
$59.00     

This combo looks wicked for a cheap keyboard and mouse. Once again, it's about being proud of your new build.

[Seagate ST2000DX002 FireCuda 2TB SATA3 8GB NAND Desktop SSHD]
$155.00     

These, I love. I use them, well their older brother, in every clients build I do. They're a normal 2TB HDD, with X ammount (8GB in this case) of 'SSD' built on.

In the 'old days' this was crap, because you had to run software to use it, and it worked on a file level.

NOW? It runs on BLOCK LEVEL and it's all automatic.

Basically, if you read "Sector 1~250" most often, which is say, PART of your firefox cache file, it'll move those blocks to the SSD so it's instant to load. If the cache file is 10GB and you only read 1GB of it, it'll only clone the 1GB of raw sectors. They're fucking legendary.

Note: If he's not savvy, so he won't do backups, consider a second one, and set up a clone\mirror task so they backup to each other.

[Asus PRIME X370-PRO]
$239.00     

I don't use Gigabyte, too many problems, so this is the cheapest ASUS board that's AM4 and an X370 chipset :)

[AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 4-Core Socket AM4 3.6GHz CPU Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler ]
$275.00     

New RIZEN processor, 4 core, 8 thread.

The reason RIZEN is a good choice (besides bang for buck) is because you can go to an 8 core 16 thread on the SAME SOCKET in the future, when prices drop.

That's future proofing for ya!

Order Total
$1174.00

See? That's without a Windows Licence, and without a Graphics Card.

For those, I'd suggest:

Windows 10 (cheap from ebay, $25? dodgy? That's up to you....)

and

a Geforce GTX 1060 (6GB edition) (around the $325 mark).

You need the 6GB edition, because some games are disabling graphics features below 4GB of ram, and the cheaper is 3GB

Hopefully DASA sticks his thread in to tear the shit out of my build, he usually does, though he usually doesn't correct TOO much... but that's what i've got so far.

There really is nowhere to cut, and still be happy, to fit a $300 GPU in there.

$1500 is a realistic budget for 'all brand new',

#12 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,097 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:12 PM

Supposedly the eBay wrecker's OS and software licences should be above board - it's actually something they bother to persue, no doubt because they actually bother listening to the likes of big software companies.

I've bought 2, first was to use Office 2013 Pro+ and recent was for Win 10 Pro.

The best prices seem to come from Europe, I'd recommend go for one of the UK suppliers.  They'll usually email the product key within a couple of hours and supply a download link from MS (I used that as my Win10 images are mostly 1607, current release is 1703).  Search parameter I use is "Windows 10 key".  Then sort by "lowest cost + postage" and scroll down, usually the international seller ones are cheaper than the Aus ones.  Don't bother competing in auctions, just do a buy it now.  Ensure you're buying what you need, don't bother with physical media or getting the broken hardware sent to you.  Make sure the seller has a decent reputation >98.5% and has sold at least 50 or so items in the past.  Decent sellers will offer a money-back guarantee if it doesn't work.  Also ensure the licence type isn't tied to a particular type of hardware, if it's listed as an OEM key you want a system builders type.

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

I'd love an update regardless of what he goes :)

#14 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

Can definitely backup what Master_Scythe has been stating, an i7 wouldn't be necessary unless your brother is planning on trying to give streaming a shot, but even in that case a new Ryzen CPU would probably be good enough!

The Ryzen 5 series are fantastic CPUs for their price, and you could definitely look into an after market 1060 - 6GB variant, such as our Windforce GTX1060 (https://www.mwave.co...eo-card-ab86123)

If he's gonna be aiming to edit videos or have some sort of workstation PC as well, then Ryzen seems like a fantastic fit

Otherwise an i5 can probably do just fine, I'm still using an i5 6600k, and no complaints so far myself :)

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Can definitely backup what Master_Scythe has been stating,

Everything except my 'Don't use Gigabyte' I assume :P

Perhaps it's changed in the last 3 years, but for a while (and I mean a LONG while) I had an over 70% DOA rate. and it wasn't batch, since I was purchasing different boards, sockets, and from different shops.

Years ago now, but it takes a while for that bitter taste to leave....

I do however like what you do with your GPU's. Just waiting on a 6GB 1060 to drop below $300 and I'll be all over it.

#16 belal wow

belal wow

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for the help guys! 

Sorry for the delayed reply, been busy.

#17 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:09 PM

Can definitely backup what Master_Scythe has been stating,

Everything except my 'Don't use Gigabyte' I assume :P

Perhaps it's changed in the last 3 years, but for a while (and I mean a LONG while) I had an over 70% DOA rate. and it wasn't batch, since I was purchasing different boards, sockets, and from different shops.

Years ago now, but it takes a while for that bitter taste to leave....

I do however like what you do with your GPU's. Just waiting on a 6GB 1060 to drop below $300 and I'll be all over it.

Totally understand, these kinds of hefty purchases deserve a reliable product upon purchase

Definitely seems like some bad luck with Gigabyte in the past, but I totally know what you mean for 1060 pricing

980 performance with much better power efficiency at less than $300 sounds amazing :)

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users