3 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 19,798 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Just got curious.

What type of technology is out there, that's awesome, that you just never actually use.

What got me thinking about it, was eSATA. It's been around for donkeys years now, but I've never used it.

I don't think I've ever used the full speed of USB3.0 either, normally restricted by whatever bus adaptor I'm using (eg. the 40MBps on most SATA to USB controllers).

I've never used Toslink or Digital out (besides HDMI).

Dont get me started on AR technology.

I'm sure there's more, but thats just a couple of examples.

Anyone else look at things and go "Oh thats cool!" and then... thats it? lol

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,402 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:03 PM

The firewire port on my Pentium 1.7ghz laptop ...

USB 3 is so much better than 2.0.

Edited by Jeruselem, 15 May 2017 - 03:04 PM.

Cortana at your service

#3 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,501 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

Never used eSata here either... IMO it wasn't very well thought out due to lacking power.   These days it's somewhat redundant given that USB 3 is on most computers.

Can't say I've experienced the problem of slow USB 3 on drives although the cheap 2.5" cases I bought might have that problem, would have to investigate further as I found when I put an SSD on it the performance was pretty piss-poor.

Never bothered with optical audio out.  In fact my soundbar has digital via coax hooked up and I just used a cheaparsed RCA cable and that works fine.  Given the low bitrate required for even 5.1 audio I don't see the point, really it's just another big audiophile exercise in gross wankery.

My Windows equipped 7" tablet... even though by PC standards it's pretty paltry, I've barely ever used it although it's versatility is unmatched.  It's got HDMI out so can hook up to a TV or bigger monitor and I've got a powered hub that allows using tablets while charging them with other devices plugged in.

Bluray - OK, it's like 10 years old or whatever.  But I've had my Bluray player nearly 5 years and probably played 4 or 5 actual BR discs in it.  Though it gets used practically daily for media playback over Wifi.  Very occasional DVD use (usually data one), occasional playback via USB.  My DVD player, don't know why it's plugged in, don't think I've used it since late 2012.

#4 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

My DVD player, don't know why it's plugged in, don't think I've used it since late 2012.

Just tangential to that last bit... I don't think I've used my TV more than about 3 hours in as many months. "To Watch" stuff piled up to overflowing on the TiVo, stuff on disk I haven't got to yet, and I'm just not the least bit interested in passive media any more. Half the stuff I "watch" through YT (Sam Harris, Dave Rubin, etc) I put on and listen to like an audiobook while I do something else.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users