• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

I remember back in the day, there were a LOT of devices that, when set to 40mhz just stomped all over the spectrum and stopped being 'polite' to other overlapping wifi.

My neighbours think im up to something for asking them, or are too IT illiterate to know how to turn down their wifi db.

So I've decided screw it, I wonder if DDWRT can be forced to be "impolite" to other networks.

I'll then turn mine down to be as polite as possible (I find 75% strength only JUST reaches my property boarder), but I dont want their overlapping wifi making my AP 'pause' for them.

Ideas?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,849 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

Can't you change what channel range is in use?

Most people would have NFI how to change their base channel or signal strength though a lot of modems now seem to give you no choice on the signal strength.

Realistically they'd probably be oblivious to you stomping their network other than you telling them and degraded throughput which most people would likely just blame on the ISP.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

That's the idea.

And no, I have overlapping on all channels.

I'll do the right thing and weaken my signal to not stomp them if I can help it, but within my own house, I don't need my modem being 'polite' to the 8 or so 0~1bar wifi points from the entire street.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,849 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 12:46 PM

The neighbour's wifi is probably piddly within your walls.  The same would apply to yours within their houses.  Outside, who cares?

I've been in apartment buildings where you're picking up over a dozen signals.  But generally within the physical boundary you'd expect each one to work it still does.

I suppose the full 300, 600, whatever mbps won't necessarily be achieved but most people would never notice.

#5 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:10 PM

My UniFi AP AC has all the channel/frequency stuff on auto and doesn't miss a beat, and I can see 3-5 other AP's with 1-2 bars at most times during the day.

If your AP isn't smart enough to do channel hopping seamlessly and transparently to your end devices, it's time for a new AP.

Edited by SquallStrife, 23 May 2017 - 02:11 PM.

SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

Yeah it's just a Cisco business thing; I've never thought much of Cisco gear honestly.

I was eyeing off a Unify LR

#7 JustinDeTorres

JustinDeTorres

Serf

• Lurker
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:41 AM

Why don't you just block the user ID from control panel?

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,571 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

Why don't you just block the user ID from control panel?

Hmm spammer suggesting something unrelated....

I've never seen that before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users