• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

As far as longevity and technology goes, is anything going to be around in 20 years time :)

Security and cloud reliance are really major issues with HA. When choosing the thermostat I wanted something that would give me 90% functionality even when there was no internet or even home WiFi. I'm also making sure it's being wired up in such a way that I can swap in a standard thermostat without any additional wiring, just in case.

The thing with HA is that you don't need it.

I just like the idea of tinkering with it, setting up a HA server, seeing what can be achieved.

It's kind of a ye olde Atomic thing to do :)

I'm also curiosity us about how well it learns, if it can save us money and if it reduces the amount of time you dick around with the thermostat because it knows what you want.

We do have Alexa in the kitchen, so I'll be able to hook it up,to,that as well.

Should be fun.

Thanks for the links, some really good reading especially around security.

Edited by Mac Dude, 16 August 2017 - 11:43 PM.

Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#42 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

It's Alive!

Having a sparky who spent 5 minutes with me going over the install and wiring diagrams makes all the difference.

Linked it to Amazon Alexa, just need to setup the schedule... 

EDIT : Oh, and a little plaster and paintwork :)

ecobee3.jpg

Edited by Mac Dude, 19 August 2017 - 03:26 PM.

Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#43 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

26.5?  Do you all parade around in the reg grundies?

#44 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 18,054 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

If I were making a thermostat, that upper bound would be when it turns the cooling on, and the lower bound would be when the heater kicks in - between the two would be where you just let nature do it's thing.

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"There is no "I" in team." - "True.  I will not be found in any team."

#45 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

Yep, I had that impression.  Though IMO most times you want no action if the upper limit is passed in winter or lower in summer.

#46 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

If I were making a thermostat, that upper bound would be when it turns the cooling on, and the lower bound would be when the heater kicks in - between the two would be where you just let nature do it's thing.

Correct :)

At the top of the screen the icons are snowflake and flame which means the thermostat is controlling both.  The fact that the flame is red(not white) means heating is active.

As you pointed out the numbers to the right are the boundaries that will trigger heating or cooling.

The box with '19.5-26.5 and holding' means that the current temp has been set manually from the thermostat and it will hold that temp until you override it, by touching the box for example.

I need to fine tune the boundaries.  I've also just changed the setting so any manual setting at the thermostat will stay until the next scheduled event, like going into sleep mode at night.  So now the display says '19.5-26.5 until 10:30pm' which is the scheduled time for the Sleep setting.

I agree Rybags that there is really no need for a cooling setting in winter.  To achieve this i just change the thermostat from Auto to Heat Only in winter and Cool Only in summer.

The sparky was impressed, especially since it's no more expensive than a standard WiFi thermostat from any of the regular manufacturers.

The integration with my Amazon Alexa means I can ask it what the temp is set too, I can verbally set a specific temp or I can ask it to raise or lower the temp by any amount.

However, what I'm really interested in is the ability to view the efficiency of the heater/cooling over time and you can make tweaks to your schedule to reduce costs.

That and features like geo-fencing, proximity overrides(so if nobody is home when the unit is on it will turn off or visa versa), intelligent recovery - you set a temp at a specific time and the unit will fire up the heating/cooling in advance because it knows how long it takes to reach the temp you want, anyway it's these features that keep the residents happy :) 

Edited by Mac Dude, 19 August 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#47 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

Yep, I had that impression.  Though IMO most times you want no action if the upper limit is passed in winter or lower in summer.

:)

I was interrupted when I was playing around with the scheduling.  Last night the aircon came on at 11 much to the displeasure of the daughter.  Fixed the schedule this morning and set it for heating only...

#48 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

That's part reason I've not much ventured into it... the inbuilt stupidity of so-called smart devices these days makes you wonder why you bother sometimes.

#49 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

That's part reason I've not much ventured into it... the inbuilt stupidity of so-called smart devices these days makes you wonder why you bother sometimes.

I think it was the inbuilt stupidity of the person programming it :)

Sure, added flexibility can mean you can end up with unexpected results, but I see it as a massive positive.

#50 Juggs

Juggs

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

We've dipped our toes in, but only so far as purchasing a couple of bulbs and a smart switch.  We use a combo of the vendor app, homeassistant, and ifttt recipes to do the basics of what we need:

• Lounge room lights fading in about 30 mins before sunset, then fading out at 2230. 
  • Bedside lamp not on a schedule, but remote access allowing for lighting for the pets.
  • Porch light that comes on when we're within 50m of the house. 

Outside of that, we've got homeassistant to manipulate the TV (mostly on/off), and a few push notifications for key information - traffic, weather, and shares.

So far, so good.  Biggest issue i have is that I have yet to configure a workable tablet to be mounted in a key position for full access.  Having to grab your laptop/device can be a pain in the arse at times - but nothing that timers and some motion sensors won't resolve.  

Keep wishing you were me, and I'll keep making you have to.

#51 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:06 PM

what o.s. is the interface

i can heartily recommend a nexus 7 tablet as great

and you can use it to stream music from your server via bluetooth too :)

ummmmmmmmmmm............

#52 Juggs

Juggs

Master

• Atomican
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:27 PM

Everything set up is device agnostic, it's more that it's a pita to have to go and get a device if it isn't handy.  

Ideally I'd have a tablet wall mounted with a permanent power supply.  That way I can use the app, or the homeassistant webpage. 

Keep wishing you were me, and I'll keep making you have to.

#53 scruffy1

scruffy1

Champion

• Hero
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

my nexus 7 on that duty has a charger stand that sits it upright, on the kitchen island bench - works really well (for recipes / timer for cooking / music / the smart mood light / asking google

https://www.asus.com..._Dock/overview/

ummmmmmmmmmm............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users