as long as the show is not as preachy, then the new doctor shoud do well

#22 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,734 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

DE3ie8WXYAAuXV6.jpg

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#23 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

Problem (but possibly the source of some stories) will be the mysogeny of various alien races.

I don't doubt a womans ability to play the role, I just think the writers have some skills to prove to not make it preachy, and to make the Doctors trademark 'calm demeanor gone berserker mad' work from a female character.

It's doable, but it'll take some serious writing, and some serious acting to back it up.

DE3ie8WXYAAuXV6.jpg

Chart broken, male pronouns.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#24 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

So, not liking the Doctor becoming female makes you a woman-hater?

More appeasement bullshit, this could go the way of Ghostbusters.

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:08 PM

I agree with your first comment

But that doesn't mean a bad thing for the series, it's ALWAYS been a female+male\male+female type pairing, so it just means a male companion for the strong angry parts

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#26 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,734 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

Remember the outrage when they made the Yellow Wiggle a woman?

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#27 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:33 PM

Remember the outrage when they made the Yellow Wiggle a woman?

No?  (No kids.)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#28 seehund

seehund

Guru

• Hero
  • 11,998 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

What was wrong with Ghostbusters apart from a fairly average script? The actors were good and the effects were okay.

I don't get the "appeasement" line, honestly. I grew up with Dr Who, The Goodies & Monkey & I have no problem with character's sex being altered; Tripitaka was played by a woman after all.

It's just a movie & just a TV show...nothing to get whatever you choose to wear as undies (if indeed you even do) in a twist.

People like it or don't, watch it or don't, and it's not as if we're starved for alternative content these days.

Edited by seehund, 17 July 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#29 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

What was wrong with Ghostbusters apart from a fairly average script? The actors were good and the effects were okay.

I don't get the "appeasement" line, honestly. I grew up with Dr Who, The Goodies & Monkey & I have no problem with character's sex being altered; Tripitaka was played by a woman after all.

It's just a movie & just a TV show...nothing to get whatever you choose to wear as undies (if indeed you even do) in a twist.

People like it or don't, watch it or don't, and it's not as if we're starved for alternative content these days.

I'm sure this is ALSO a stereotype, but meh, politically incorrect me if you must.....

But the whole 'Ghostbusters' style of comedy was based around what, stereotypically, only men can get away with, attacking and belittling each other to encourage brilliance in impossible odds.

The stereotypes make that sort of comedy "Bitchy" instead of "giving a mate a hard time".

I mean, sure, I know a lot of women who I can give a hard time and have a laugh with, but it's not the social norm to expect from a female character, or, IMO, even a woman in real life.

Yeah its sexist, but it's out of compassion (built on life experience) not hate.

#30 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Ghostbusters was a commercial and critical failure.

An attempted money-grab using diversity targetting in a reboot to appeal to the so-called progressive modern audience.

Then again, Ghostbusters II was also a turd of a movie so it's not like they were breaking something that wasn't already that way.

As for Dr Who, I'm not really a fan so if the show crashes it won't affect me in the way that the likes of Enterprise and the Star Trek reboot has.

It's bullshit bandwagonning.  Hollywood has been doing it for about 10 years now and producing rubbish for the sake of hitting diversity targets.

#31 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,234 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:56 PM

http://www.abc.net.a...-doctor/8713964

The next Doctor to be Jodie Whittaker. Loathe or like the idea, she's not a bad actress. Whether she'll be good in the role of Doctor * shrugs*

Ye just reading a thread on another forum about this. Jeez talk about a bunch of whiny misogynistic dickheads.

You'd think they'd wait to be " whiny misogynistic dickheads " till after an episode or two has been shown. She's proven she can act an tbh I can see her having a go at this role, but it all depends on the rest of the cast and crew and of course, the writing. If the others are ambivalent to her presence there the show will be a flop.

Edited by eveln, 17 July 2017 - 06:57 PM.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#32 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:52 PM

So for the show to succeed, they need to acknowledge her greatness?

Really, if they wanted a show with a female time travelling troubleshooting eccentric, then they should have just created one from scratch and let the thing live or die on it's own merits.

#33 Cybes

Cybes

Titan

• Atomican
  • 17,938 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

She just needs to start offerin everyone jelly babies, and we'll all love her. ;)

"Reality does not care what you think." - Dr Richard Feynman
"Ideas do not deserve respect.- people do." - Peter Boghossian (paraphrase)

#34 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,158 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:57 PM

I don't recall a bunch of people whining that the Master was now a Mistress*.  Oh no.  The logic that groundwork laid has come to fruition.  The sky is falling!  The show will never be good ever again!

*I'd like to consider it a sign of my friends that they didn't bitch about that, or, now, this.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#35 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:52 PM

Really, if they wanted a show with a female time travelling troubleshooting eccentric, then they should have just created one from scratch and let the thing live or die on it's own merits.

River Song?

#36 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,234 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:12 AM

Why acknowledge a greatness that is not proven ? That's why I say wait until at least an episode or two is shown before casting aspersions. IMO, if the cast and crew don't gel the show won't either. << Time will tell. As with Ghost Busters, if the aim is purely financial and not about creativity and story then it will flop . The regeneration makes a gender change possible :)

atomic has π

#37 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

Why acknowledge a greatness that is not proven ? That's why I say wait until at least an episode or two is shown before casting aspersions. IMO, if the cast and crew don't gel the show won't either. << Time will tell. As with Ghost Busters, if the aim is purely financial and not about creativity and story then it will flop . The regeneration makes a gender change possible :)

One of the best doctors had the shortest run, and the worst doctor (although possibly best actor) had the longest run;

It's all down to reception.

Because I just opened a can of Daleks there; I'll explain.

Eckleston felt like a man running from his past. Someone who had betrayed himself, seen a war, killed millions... resulting in a desire to do good, a 'who cares' attitude toward himself, but not others, he felt very real.

Tennant, is an AMAZING actor, and if the show hadn't touched his "Horrible past" yet, he'd have been fine, and probably the best. But my mind is always on 'analytical mode'. Not only do happy people act angry, poorly (the opposite of Capaldi, who's very god at doing eccentric happy, because he does Angry, naturally), but nothing in his attitude spoke to his past.

He was 'happy' most of the time. He cared about himself a little more than he used to (and no reason why), nothing to me said "hardened soldier" anymore.

GREAT actor, great doctor, HORRIBLE character fit into the story arc.

Matt Smith got away with 'happy' because he was eccentric happy, the 'in denial', 'running from your past' type of happy that I use myself for escapism from time to time.

Tennant though? Just spent too much time 'smelling the flowers', he seemed to care not just about life, but about HIS life, and from 'war torn' to 'simple life' without a catalyst, was just too much..

Not to mention that entire season where the Tardis CONTINUOUSLY showed up late (9/10 dead, for example, when that blob monster was absorbing kids, and his idea to fix it was to make the cement tile sentient).

If course, everyones going to have an opinion, and I know mine is unpopular :P

Edited by Master_Scythe, 18 July 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#38 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,234 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

One of the best doctors had the shortest run, and the worst doctor (although possibly best actor) had the longest run;

It's all down to reception.

Because I just opened a can of Daleks there; I'll explain.

Eckleston felt like a man running from his past. Someone who had betrayed himself, seen a war, killed millions... resulting in a desire to do good, a 'who cares' attitude toward himself, but not others, he felt very real.

Tennant, is an AMAZING actor, and if the show hadn't touched his "Horrible past" yet, he'd have been fine, and probably the best. But my mind is always on 'analytical mode'. Not only do happy people act angry, poorly (the opposite of Capaldi, who's very god at doing eccentric happy, because he does Angry, naturally), but nothing in his attitude spoke to his past.

He was 'happy' most of the time. He cared about himself a little more than he used to (and no reason why), nothing to me said "hardened soldier" anymore.

GREAT actor, great doctor, HORRIBLE character fit into the story arc.

Matt Smith got away with 'happy' because he was eccentric happy, the 'in denial', 'running from your past' type of happy that I use myself for escapism from time to time.

Tennant though? Just spent too much time 'smelling the flowers', he seemed to care not just about life, but about HIS life, and from 'war torn' to 'simple life' without a catalyst, was just too much..

Not to mention that entire season where the Tardis CONTINUOUSLY showed up late (9/10 dead, for example, when that blob monster was absorbing kids, and his idea to fix it was to make the cement tile sentient).

If course, everyones going to have an opinion, and I know mine is unpopular :P

The thing is M_S, whatever your thoughts on the various Doctors, the episodes continued to be made with a story and creativity that was loathed or loved by all who watched.

If a woman is now being put in as the 13th Doc. cos nobody has a better idea, then imo, it's doomed to flop.

From your views on the previous Docs, the writers and producers managed to make quite individual characters and stories to go with them and I don't see why they can't continue with the 13th regeneration. To do that, all the peoples involved need to be open to the idea.

edit: Of course if the femme Doctor doesn't take she will have a short run .

Edited by eveln, 18 July 2017 - 11:22 PM.

atomic has π

#39 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

Correct, nothing I implied said otherwise :)

The ONLY issue will be the attitude.

IMO it'll entirely hang on the introduction...... When we first meet River Song, she's a bad ass, she knowsn 'too much' (mysterious), and she's a tiny bit Butch......

This leads you right away into an air of respect, based purely on authority. (as opposed to a normal level of respect for a fellow person; it was instantly more than that) This worked.

If they introduce the new doctor as being 'whimsical' like the other doctors, she's going to come off as 'moody' when she gets mad (like Tennant came off as arrogant giving orders).

To be honest, the most interesting part of the 'change' is going to be how the Doctor reacts, they always have some shock to a regeneration, and the first female is coming from CAPALDI?!

I wish the writers luck and wait eagerly to see how they pull it off :)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 July 2017 - 08:39 AM.

#40 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,545 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:02 AM

It should only really make a difference to Dr Who fans. She will either nail it or she wont, just like every other actor who played The Doctor. Of course the evaluation of her performance is subjective so you'll get a range of reasonable and unreasonable opinions. :)

I have high hopes because, 1) she's a proven product, and 2) there are other personnel changes behind the scenes that *may* improve the stories/direction.

I doubt very much that they chose a woman just because. It's logical - why limit the possible Doctors to only half the population? That's dumb.
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users