• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:12 AM

I doubt very much that they chose a woman just because. It's logical - why limit the possible Doctors to only half the population? That's dumb.

The doctors regeneration has always been part choice. It's subconscious, but every regeneration so far has had a 'trigger' something that made them go from X to Y.

It's highlighted best in the change to Capaldi when he's explaining his new appearance, and asking why this face, then he's happy to be scottish, he can get mad now.

Basically, the subtext is that hes spent so much time being a loon as Smith, thatit's time to get serious (as Capaldi).

It's possible they ignore the subtext of the regeration this time, not every whovian has noticed the 'triggers' for the doctors next regen, but if they do follow the last few methods, I'll be curious what makes Capaldi want to be a chick.

It's just a shame this change has come at a time when Transgender favoring, and (incorrectly understood) feminism is at an all time high........

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 July 2017 - 09:13 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#42 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,561 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

I doubt very much that they chose a woman just because. It's logical - why limit the possible Doctors to only half the population? That's dumb.

The doctors regeneration has always been part choice. It's subconscious, but every regeneration so far has had a 'trigger' something that made them go from X to Y.
It's highlighted best in the change to Capaldi when he's explaining his new appearance, and asking why this face, then he's happy to be scottish, he can get mad now.
Basically, the subtext is that hes spent so much time being a loon as Smith, thatit's time to get serious (as Capaldi).

That's part of the story, sure, but that doesn't necessarily drive the change to a female Doctor. I could just as validly argue that based on their want to explore more from a character PoV they decided on a female Doctor. Then, they start to write the triggers into the story.
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#43 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:03 PM

So what was the impetus for the Master to change into Missy, with both a change of sex and personality?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#44 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

I'm glad Kris Marshall wasn't picked

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#45 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

So what was the impetus for the Master to change into Missy, with both a change of sex and personality?

That's well debated; and there are a lot of opinions out there.

Some argue that women are naturally more controlling\persuasive in the 'modern world'.

Some consider it to be a move to gain more trust, since he tried the "Successful man, in charge" route, and ultimately failed, turn it on it's head.

Me? I sort of agree with the second one, but I've always thought there was more.

While I agree it will be partly out of shame, knowing that "all powerful male in charge" didn't work, I also think it's about hiding more effectively (while timelords can spot each other, its not always instant, Baby River + Doctor, for example).

But most of all, I've felt it was about 'swinging wild' and seeing what sticks.

The Master was insane, he did everything he knows how to do to seize power, and for the first time he wanted to try adding some 'stealth' to it, he has manipulation down pat, but its not enough. He wants another route for power.

But the whole master thing breaks a lot of DrWho lore anyway. I mean, using his lifeforce (and therefore a few hundred regeneration's or something) to 'fly' around, or jump superhuman distances? Why doesn't the Doctor do that in instances when he's expecting to be wiped out in a way that regeneration shouldn't be possible? Give up 10 'lives' so that you can keep your other 90?

I mean, that, and the first season of Tennant I wish I could forget. I Loathed 'The Tardis' for SO LONG after that season, as she kept arriving late and ruining peoples lives with poor timing.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#46 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:29 PM

But the whole master thing breaks a lot of DrWho lore anyway.

they are always breaking the past

'the keeper of Traken' was supposed to be The Masters last regeneration

dont forget The Valeyard is a future version of the doctor

#47 shirl

shirl

Overlord

• Atomican
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

40+ years of watching Dr Who this will be a testing time for me with the next Dr,how will she stack up against all my past Dr's?will she be worthy to be added to my dvd collection,of every episode on dvd?mmmm only time will tell..

So is this the last regeneration if in keeping with the movie from 1996??which states there will be 13 Dr,s..in theory we have had more tht 13 Dr,s to date,so i wonder.

2500k@4.5g 24/7,Z68 gen3-pro3,7970@stock,Gskill@8,8,8,24,1T,,to lazy to list the rest 8-) 8150@4.5g 24/7 MSI GD65,7970@stock,Gskill 7,7,7,something,thats enough

#48 smadge1

smadge1

Titan

• Atomican
  • 25,738 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

But the Time Lords basically reset his regeneration clock, so he can just keep regenerating.

Put your monkey where your mouth is. These are the voyages of the starship Lucy Liu. What's On My Mind? http://twitter.com/smadge1 http://smadge1.tumblr.com/

#49 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

But the Time Lords basically reset his regeneration clock, so he can just keep regenerating.

Which means he can fly and shoot lasers using his hands, by blasting regen energy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users