Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Hi All

Hoping somebody here is very familiar with Potplayer media player

In my opinion the very best free media player out there

I have video files that have been recorded from TV

Some are in HD and have 6 channel (5.1) audio (ac3)

Others have only 2 channel audio

My laptop is connected to HDTV via HDMI

TV has no audio output

Sound card on laptop only does 2 channel audio

I am purchasing an external USB sound card to handle the 6 channel audio

Sound card to receiver amp (home theater via optical (spdif)

HERE is the question if somebody can please help

What is the setup in Potplayer to get the source audio (5.1) to be output from the optical out of the sound card (to the amp)

Preferably it would need to be setup so it will reproduce 6 channel and 2 channel without further settings

In other words simply always reproduce the source audio

Unfortunately the advanced settings in Potplayer are a bit like a foreign language to me

So very basic descriptions would be much appreciated

Any help with this also much appreciated

Thanks

#2 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

First, welcome.

Second, try VLC player.

If second is a "Nope don't like it" scenario, then

Third, make sure windows has the correct sound output device setup. It might not be a problem with 'Potplayer' at all.

HDMI should carry the audio too, no problem. No need for a sound card or optical.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#3 ausrob

ausrob

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

Thanks Master

VLC has problems with Closed Captions (Subtitles) that Potplayer does not have

Will check thoroughly all my sound settings in Windows

Good advice

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

I still have a feeling it's the player.

What subtitle problem does it have? Perhaps we can sort that out?

Have you tried MediaPlayerClassic as another alternative?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,058 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

It's called MPC-HC these days (Home Cinema) https://mpc-hc.org/

I much prefer it over VLC - easier to use, seems less buggy and bloated.

Can you do audio out over HDMI without any sound card or onboard hardware enabled?

Regardless, don't you also need the HDMI driver component for the graphics card?  (normally selectable during graphics driver install) ?

Subtitles - it seems with a lot of applications they're displayed by default which annoys the crap out of me.

Generally you have 3 types of subtitles - embedded as part of the video and not alterable e.g. something you've recorded off SBS.

- contained within a seperate .SRT file, some programs/devices will detect and be able to use them, some won't.

- contained within the muxed video file (usually .MKV container), usability similar story to the seperate file based ones.

Edited by Rybags, 17 June 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#6 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Can you do audio out over HDMI without any sound card or onboard hardware enabled?

Regardless, don't you also need the HDMI driver component for the graphics card?  (normally selectable during graphics driver install) ?

Yes, and Yes

#7 ausrob

ausrob

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

OK 

My problem is I need subtitles all the time as I cannot interpret the mumbling American dialogue in most US movies and my wife is chinese.

VLC is a fantastic player but for some subtitle types it does not display all of the dialogue on the screen 

That is some lines of dialogue display and then another line spoken by another character will not display

Also in some other subtitle types some lines of dialogue will just not turn off displaying until another line is spoken

So a line of dialogue can sometimes remain displayed on the screen for minutes (very annoying)

Potplayer also had these exact subtitle issues but less than 12 hours after I posted on their forums the problems were fixed

It is probably 12 months or more since I first told VLC of these issues and they still remain today.

I tried every media player out there till I found potplayer and in my opinion it is not only the best player for my needs it is also the best player full stop.

On the audio side I am now using a HDMI audio extractor and sending the resulting optical output to my receiver amp.

Works well but is not 5.1 as my Laptop HDMI output is restricted to only 2 channel

and the poor man's 5.1 (Pro Logic 2) is not too bad anyway

#8 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

Everyone has different needs.

For me, VLC wins purely because it's easy to select a decoder (so if DirectInput is busy, I can use OpenGL and so forth).

And in addition, can play corrupted streams reliably.

But, as you've made a VERY good case for, Horses for Courses, we have very different wants\needs :)

So are you saying it's working now?

In the case of ProLogic2, I used to sell some VERY high end stereo equipment, whatever you think that means, triple it.

I wanted to suggest increasing your front stereo separation and trying for 2.0 audio.

I'm suggesting 2 floor standing speakers, one in each corner of the room, diagonal facing the seating position, and disabling the "fake" 5.1

That's actually likely why you're finding dialogue hard.

All 5.1 (emulated or real) relies on the middle speaker for voice, if your front Middle speaker isn't SIGNIFICANTLY higher quality than your surrounds, then you'll always lose the voice.

Doesn't matter if it's a $5000 M&K THX speaker, or a $500 Jamo; the front mid needs to be better than the rest.

And if it's not? 2.0

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

Ahh, THATS what they're getting out of it.

"Article 6 (Agreement to the Use of Data Transfer Technology)

For the proper transfer of data streaming, Daum may use a technology that relay transfers data between Users in its services. You hereby agree that you may relay transfer steaming data to another User and agree to the receipt of relay transfer of streaming data to another user, through a network device installed on the User’s computer."

They're running a p2p network via the player software to facilitate good streaming.

and it looks like its offered by daum, which I think is South Koreas "Google" so it's not too out there to offer free software.

Cool software, it's a good player, but I don't like companies that leverage my PC\internet as a streaming node. Bad experience in the past with older p2p networks doing things like that.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 June 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#10 ausrob

ausrob

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

Oh well I guess I am stuck with Potplayer until VLC can fix the subtitle thing.

Hey master I was interested in what Rybags said about disabling the sound card and on board hardware

I have nvidia 9600 and realtech high definition audio on my system

If I disable these will I still get output from HDMI ???

#11 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:34 AM

Did you ever try https://mpc-hc.org/?

It used to be 'media player classic' and it was VLC's main competitor.

I haven't used it in a few years, but I'd bet wherever VLC lets the team down, they intentionally focus on that feature, heh.

As for your question;

If your Nvidia9600 is the one with the HDMI port, then no, you can't disable that.

If you have a second GPU thats doing HDMI, then yes you can disable the 9600; but be careful, you don't want to disable the GPU part of it and be left without a monitor.

If you disable it ONLY under "Audio devices" you should have basically 0 risk.

Yes you can disable the Realtek, that's your analogue sound card which you're not using (HDMI and Optical are both Digital).

#12 ausrob

ausrob

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

Thanks Master

#13 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:38 AM

Potplayer media player
In my opinion the very best free media player out there

agreed.

you should be able to set what you need to in the context menu

right-click in the video window --> Audio

from there you can choose settings for Audio Renderer, S/PDIF Audio Renderer, 2nd Audio renderer, etc

suppose you want to keep using the laptop speakers whenever the card is disconnected (ie. manually muting the lappy speakers when connected).  

this might work:

Audio --> 2nd Audio Renderer --> DirectSound: blah blah USB card digital (Optical)

also, to avoid sending stereo converted to fake surround:

Audio --> Output Speakers --> Same as input

note:

- if that dont work, try the same but choosing WaveOut options instead of DirectSound

- i am not sure how your external sound card will behave, so you may also need to select the card in Audio --> S/PDIF Audio Renderer

Edited by @~thehung, 21 June 2017 - 12:50 AM.

no pung intended

#14 ausrob

ausrob

Serf

• Lurker
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

Thanks again everyone for all the very helpful advice

#15 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:05 AM

Thanks again everyone for all the very helpful advice

No problem.

Stick around and hang out :)

Just a heads up, if something seems 'harsher' than it should be in general chats, it's because this community is 15+ years old; a lot of us know each other in real life, and there's always a chance that an "F off" means "Damn you're right" and we're just used to each other :)

Always nice to have a new face about the forums :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users