• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:02 PM

mmm that SSD is going to be all the difference!!!!!!!

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:01 PM

Once you're used to SSD response you're spoiled.

I sometimes start up an otherwise pretty quick modern system with mech drive, experience the relative sluggishness and think something's badly wrong with it.

#23 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,878 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

Now it's all about that M.2 drive. 

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#24 unsinkable86

unsinkable86

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys!

http://www.userbench...UserRun/4156681

This was my first check of my system and was shocked to see my ram was running at half speeds, After going to the bios and changing certain settings i ended up with this next link.

http://www.userbench...6758#MEMORY_KIT

Since owning this computer i was running the CPU on clock speeds and Ram at half speed. I have learnt so much about certain components in the past few days that it has shocked me, Puts a smile on my face! 

With this information, Am i able to improve on certain components that i wouldn't know about? The Rams clock speed is running at 800Mhz But i think due to being twin channel it is actually 1600Mhz? Overall i am very happy with these improvements. 

Edited by unsinkable86, 01 July 2017 - 01:33 PM.

I didn't order this! Nope wait I did...

#25 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Grab CPU-z and run it then select the Memory tab.   http://www.cpuid.com...ares/cpu-z.html

We use DDR DRam these days and the general standard is we report the speed as 800 rather than 400.  To me it would seem somewhat weird that a DDR3 system would run it's Ram at only 400 MHz (assuming 2x200), in fact I don't think by default a DDR3 machine would even allow a speed less than that.

By default motherboards will usually run Ram at conservative settings, first thing to do is usually override the speed.  Run it at it's stickered speed but let the SPD decide latencies.  Then later on you can play with the latencies if you want.  Sometimes modules with have XMP profiles built in which allow a sort of automatic memory tuning if the Bios supports it.

Double, triple channel etc isn't relevant when talking about the speed though the possible data rate should essentially be doubled if running a pair of sticks in dual-channel mode.

Check you manual - generally when running 2 Ram modules you shouldn't put them in adjacent slots on a 4 slot board.  These days most systems can run dual channel in asymetric mode, ie still work if the Ram module sizes are different.

So the trick if running 2 sticks of Ram, the slots should be occupied like:  Ram, empty, Ram, empty.

If running 4 sticks, say a pair of 4 and pair of 8 Gig then you'd want the slots occupied like:  8, 4, 8, 4.

#26 unsinkable86

unsinkable86

Journeyman

• Atomican
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

https://gyazo.com/14...21c6ceee4218bbf < Current memory information. 

https://gyazo.com/47...2367919e3237b77

I found it strange that my Ram was running at 800Mhz, My friend mentioned it to me after reading the benchmark and i was like oh yeah! Went to the bios and behold it was set at 400. Iv never touched Ram settings in the Bios so i cannot answer as to why it was set at such speeds.

Currently have my Ram positions set at <CPU>Ram>Empty>Ram>Empty. 

Edited by unsinkable86, 01 July 2017 - 02:13 PM.

I didn't order this! Nope wait I did...

#27 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,095 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:26 PM

That first CPUz screenshot looks about right - it reports the Ram cycle frequency as opposed to the doubled figure which is the data rate.

Your memory timings match the SPD data which means they're set correctly too.  If your Ram is stickered at higher than 1600 you could probably run it at a higher speed but whether you'd get much benefit is doubtful.

If you're happy with the setup, probably a good idea to run the benchmark again (that memory score looks a bit sad).  Best to do so after a fresh reboot, have nothing else running so you don't get degraded results.  Stuff like an active Windows Update, virus scan or even having the Windows Search service enabled can screw over your results.

#28 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

Glad you're learning well :)

And yes, your ram looks OK if it's 1600mhz ram.

How are you feeling that SSD?

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#29 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,295 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

FWIW, my Asus GTX970 runs silent in 2d stuff on windows. Start a game that demands a lot of GPU power tho'? I can definitely hear it over/through my headphones.

Are you happy with how loud your new GPU is? How fast it all runs?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#30 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

FWIW, my Asus GTX970 runs silent in 2d stuff on windows. Start a game that demands a lot of GPU power tho'? I can definitely hear it over/through my headphones.

Are you happy with how loud your new GPU is? How fast it all runs?

That sounds like you need a custom fan curve. Fan speed has diminishing returns.

70% is usually no, or minorly, hotter than 90%

#31 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,295 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

The fan doesn't spin up to 100%. I think it is capped at 70%. They're still noisy fucks tho'.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#32 Lvem

Lvem

Serf

• Lurker
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:17 PM

Hello, I made a new account as that was my old account (Unsinkable) and i didn't like the old name. Iv had my baby today so i haven't had much computer time lately. Very happy with the SSD, cant believe iv been using mehanical this far. I wont be able to go back now! :P

As for specs, im alittle bummed about my CPU and Memory, To me meaning i can either wait to find a bargain and buy an i5/i7 with MoBo, Or when i have money next i buy something new off the shelf. All is well tho my main problem of low FPS has been solved and i am very thankful for the help from you all. 

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.2GHz 1.3V  /  ASROCK 970 Extreme3 R2.0  /  Gefore GTX 1060 6GB @ 

#33 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,095 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

Some possible upgrade options - AMD FX8350 is $185 @ MSY but your power supply might need upgrading too.  In multithreaded tasks, it compares favourably with most of the i5/i7 quad-cores in the mid 3GHz range.

- new Ryzen 5 1500X @ $248 or 1600 (6 core) @ $295 and probably another $110 on top of that for motherboard, and another $80+ on RAM (you'd need to buy some DDR4).

- get an i5 or i7.  I'd suggest go no older than Haswell (LGA 1150).  That will usually mean decent Sata3 and USB3 on the motherboard and you can use your existing DDR3 RAM.  I paid about $300 for my i7-4690, motherboard and 16 Meg of Ram.  Expect to get a decent spec CPU and board in the range of $230 - $350.  Sell the old CPU and board, should cover half or better.

Edited by Rybags, 07 July 2017 - 09:38 PM.

#34 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,211 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hello, I made a new account as that was my old account (Unsinkable) and i didn't like the old name. Iv had my baby today so i haven't had much computer time lately. Very happy with the SSD, cant believe iv been using mehanical this far. I wont be able to go back now! :P

As for specs, im alittle bummed about my CPU and Memory, To me meaning i can either wait to find a bargain and buy an i5/i7 with MoBo, Or when i have money next i buy something new off the shelf. All is well tho my main problem of low FPS has been solved and i am very thankful for the help from you all. 

Don't be bummed about it; lookat it as a source of pride.

You have an old cheap CPU, that you just overclocked, and got to run modern games.

You also managed to fix a mess up that was halving your RAM speed.

It's a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users