8 replies to this topic

#1 Fragasaurus

Fragasaurus

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:07 AM

Hi folks and folkerinos!

Long time no post. I'm thinking of buying Windows 10 from ozgameshop.com. Costage is 89.99AUD, but I am wondering, am I doing the wrong thing here legally? It's obviously half the price of what I can buy it for here in Australia,  I haven't had any issues with purchasing from them previously even if they're UK based. 

Victimless crime or Adani level enviromental destruction?

Now, he had become the still centre of that spinning wheel of misfortune. The world turned around him, leaving him miraculously untouched. The Croupier had reached his goal. He no longer heard the sound of the ball...

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,023 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:41 AM

ed - be real careful with the dismantler's licences, one of mine has been invalidated

The only problem I see is you're probably still paying too much.

I've bought 3 licences in the last few months from eBay computer wrecker sellers in the UK.  An Office 2010 ProPlus one, and Windows 7 and 10.  The Office one was about 10 bucks, the other 2 even less.

The downloading part isn't a drama, they'll usually supply a link, or you can find the Windows download tool that someone developed, or just use your own licence creds which should grant you access to DL from the MS site.  DL tool https://heidoc.net/j...o-download-tool

As for real media and holographic sticker etc. - who gives a toss?  It's a legit licence, in the last 6 weeks Windows Update has included a WGA feature that disabled boot-sector based SLIC emulation loaders and probably other activation cheats, and the licence is still fine.

Just ensure you're buying an actual product key and not a download link (yep, people put auctions up for such things that are normally free), check the seller's reputation is 98+ (and including a decent percentage of transactions as an actual seller).

Also ensure you're buying the edition you actually want... I bought Win 10 Pro instead of Enterprise, not that it matters a huge amount.

Each time I've bought one, the key arrived by email in under 3 hours.

Edited by Rybags, 12 August 2017 - 12:52 PM.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

Hi folks and folkerinos!

Long time no post. I'm thinking of buying Windows 10 from ozgameshop.com. Costage is 89.99AUD, but I am wondering, am I doing the wrong thing here legally? It's obviously half the price of what I can buy it for here in Australia,  I haven't had any issues with purchasing from them previously even if they're UK based. 

Well you see I have a legit vision disability.... So this is my deal...

Let's just say it's a shame you probably do to.....

https://www.microsof...indows10upgrade

Free is an expensive price to pay.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 19 June 2017 - 09:09 AM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,898 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

If the PC you are installing it on was running Windows 8 from factory install, you might not need to buy a license as the Windows 10 installer treats it as an upgrade as the win8 key is the in BIOS.

Edited by Jeruselem, 19 June 2017 - 11:37 AM.

Is your WiFi on KRACK?

#5 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,214 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

Hi folks and folkerinos!

Ive yet to run into problems using legit win 7 and 8 keys to get a free upgrade of Win10 even after the 'free' period expired.
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#6 Fragasaurus

Fragasaurus

Champion

• Atomican
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

Hi folks and folkerinos!

Thanks for that tip MS

And thanks everyone else for their input, very grateful for your time :)

Edited by Fragasaurus, 19 June 2017 - 06:39 PM.

Now, he had become the still centre of that spinning wheel of misfortune. The world turned around him, leaving him miraculously untouched. The Croupier had reached his goal. He no longer heard the sound of the ball...

#7 Riddler

Riddler

Serf

• Lurker
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

I recently bought Windows 10 Home Edition for $70 AUD: https://www.software...ions/windows-10

#8 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,023 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

I take back what I said about buying from computer dismantlers.

Be careful.

My Windows 10 Pro on my MBP is going fine.  But this morning the Windows 7 Ultimate I activated around 2 months ago suddenly became invalidated.

I went through the MS automated phone process and eventually ended up with an operator, he tells me the key has been reported as pirated.

Just what the deal is, no idea.  I suspect that the key has probably been sold multiple times and picked up and invalidated by MS.

So, I suppose now is as good a time as ever.  My main desktop is important so I think I'll just commit to an install with a new licence.

#9 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,106 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

I take back what I said about buying from computer dismantlers.

Be careful.

My Windows 10 Pro on my MBP is going fine.  But this morning the Windows 7 Ultimate I activated around 2 months ago suddenly became invalidated.

I went through the MS automated phone process and eventually ended up with an operator, he tells me the key has been reported as pirated.

Just what the deal is, no idea.  I suspect that the key has probably been sold multiple times and picked up and invalidated by MS.

So, I suppose now is as good a time as ever.  My main desktop is important so I think I'll just commit to an install with a new licence.

Ahh, yeah, you see, there's the catch. Most people are using those 'invalidated' licenses (before they get flagged) just to upgrade to 10. That's all.

Sorry to hear man.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users