63 replies to this topic

#1 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

So, I was in my first accident.

Luckily, no other cars or property involved.

Just me, a tree, and a mountain.

Cars a write off, 110%.

Had Insurance (even though its bullshit small)

And luckily I got a nice cop on the scene who believed me, and yes, I was honest with him.

Those mountains are known for hooning, so I was stressing HARD over being accused of breaking the speed limit or 'trying something'.

Go back 5 years, and it'd probably have been the cause. I'm well past that time in my life now.

Truth?

I was literally doing 10 under, which clearly wasn't enough under, and the back end just spun on a fairly easy right hander.

The officer said;

"Everyone says that..... but I believe you."

I thanked him, as I was being honest; but had to ask 'why'..... I mean.....we were in a hoon hot spot, and my car was 4m down a cliff face.....

"If you were doing any more than you claim, you wouldn't be standing here talking to us".

Yeah, makes sense.

Bruised and small cuts everywhere, but alive, and they think my recent gastric surgery scars didn't bust at all internally, so yay, i guess.

As I explained to the ambulance folks;

I've grown a lot in the last 5 or so years. I'm easily past the invincible teen years (which you all had to endure, lol)

These days, Normally I'd say 'Lesson Learned!', own the fuck-up, and practice\prevent in the future.

And I guess there's always room to go slower, so I learned that, no argument there... but I don't even get a story out of it!

There was no Race, no Drifting, no 'Fully Sik Handbrakies' or something.

Just a right hander that threw the rear.

I'm going to put my money on lift off oversteer;

so I think I'm going to book my third 'skid control' day, and see if I can avoid these sort of mistakes in the future.

I guess the lesson learned from this one, is that Accidents can happen any time, even when you're not actually 'being an idiot'!

That, and Insurance is worth every cent.

I only get 3k for my 10k car, but apparently that's its value (jerks).

Time to hit Gumtree!

Question is;

Do I replace what I just lost, or do I go for a cheap Luxury car I can VIP-spec.....

Accord Euros are getting to the $3k range, could be fun.... bit of Luxury for a change....

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#2 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,389 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Question is;

Do I replace what I just lost, or do I go for a cheap Luxury car I can VIP-spec.....

Accord Euros are getting to the $3k range, could be fun.... bit of Luxury for a change....

Do up a list of wants, desirables and don't wants first.

And don't forget to check tyres, spares and service prices on any vehicle you look at. Some cars have horrendous spares and service prices. Why tyres? Because some vehicles run odd sizes/profiles that are way overpriced.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

Question is;

Do up a list of wants, desirables and don't wants first.

And don't forget to check tyres, spares and service prices on any vehicle you look at. Some cars have horrendous spares and service prices. Why tyres? Because some vehicles run odd sizes/profiles that are way overpriced.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm a huge 'car guy' these days. If I'm not under a car, I'm behind the wheel.

It's kind of why I've grown past being an idiot on public roads; I do so many track days, there's just no need to speed on the road.

Wants and don't list is actually a good idea.

I tend to get stuck with one big conflict though.

I dont want an XR6T.

But I'd like a RWD car that's comfortable, fast, and able to be modified.....

which means I want an XR6T.... which I dont.....

blech.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#4 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 17,937 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:25 AM

So get an XR6T.

I'm 2 years into my non-turbo XR6 and I love it.

Screw the haters. You don't need a ricer.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:38 AM

So get an XR6T.

I'm 2 years into my non-turbo XR6 and I love it.

Screw the haters. You don't need a ricer.

No, I'm luckily i'm past the 'need a ricer' stage too, I just prefer them.

XR6T's are just so pedestrian.

Fast, fun and cool... but.... 4 door sedan with boring lines.

#6 stadl

stadl

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 9,031 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

It's kind of why I've grown past being an idiot on public roads; I do so many track days, there's just no need to speed on the road.

Wants and don't list is actually a good idea.

Definitely understand that track days dampen motivation to push things on the street -  Once you have had fun on a track, you realise that that fun would only be matched on the streets by being a homicidal sociopath.

Sounds like you need 2 cars - the fun car for the track, and the practical car for moving around in comfort. Make the practical car put a smile on your face in other ways to performance and handling, and you avoid the 'this could be...' temptation.

That smile might be the low fuel costs/long range, the ability to load all the camping crap into the car, or feeling warm and comfy during a grinding commute.

A device so simple that it took a mind as brilliant as mine to create it! So brilliant, in fact, that simply by harnessing the power of one live frog, it... it... uhh... <poke> <poke> ... World domination has encountered a momentary setback. Talk amongst yourselves.

#7 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

I've been thinking about 4WD ute but that's completely different and I don't want to spend lots of money.

What about something like fast Focus or Mazda3 SP23.

#8 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

glad you are OK

#9 Mac Dude

Mac Dude

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 36,545 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Good to hear you're still in one piece :)

Oh, and listen to aliali on the list idea and consider servicing costs.

I don't have a problem with some cars costing more to maintain, I do have a problem when people act surprised. Do your homework...
Karl Kruszelnicki - No, I’m fully prepared to believe in the “Church of God the Utterly Indifferent who sets the universe going and says you’re on your own kids.

#10 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,389 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

I don't have a problem with some cars costing more to maintain, I do have a problem when people act surprised. Do your homework...

Ye that pisses me off too. Know a couple of people who bought older Mercs because they where cheap then constantly whinge about parts and servicing costs. Fuck 'em, shoulda bought something else if you can't afford the servicing etc.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#11 eveln

eveln

Guru

• Atomican
  • 16,234 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

Good that you're okay M_S and suitably cautious now with your future driving.

As to the costs of servicing a car, the comment " you get what you pay for "  does not always occur ... even when you use the same auto shop you always did.

But that's another thread ;) maybe.

Laugh to Live . Live to Laugh.

atomic has π

#12 elvenwhore

elvenwhore

SuperHero

• Mod
  • 11,667 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

Holyyyyy shiiiit, MS, glad you're ok! Sounds like you came out of it the best way possible, which is good news.

Ordinarily, I think everyone would like "new car time" to come with less "ow" :-) but I suppose if you're going to do something, don't do it by halves! :-p

Everything I say has come before. Everything I say has come before. Wait - dammit! Oh well, I like you more than reject popcorn bits :-)

#13 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

Sounds like you need 2 cars - the fun car for the track, and the practical car for moving around in comfort. Make the practical car put a smile on your face in other ways to performance and handling, and you avoid the 'this could be...' temptation.

That smile might be the low fuel costs/long range, the ability to load all the camping crap into the car, or feeling warm and comfy during a grinding commute.

Ive always had 2 cars, I have a 300KW WRX I built for 'fun', as its powerful. and My Honda Integra (RIP) that was 110% handling, and some added sound deadening for stereo quality. Or, was meant to be. Clearly something mixed up the geometry.

I'm still looking into Accord Euros, because $3k for leather, a reliable motor I know how to work on\build (K series, thanks Integra!) and comfort is VERY tempting.

That said, there's a GTIR for 5k which is low money, and will only appreciate, so its probably the smart buy.

#14 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

Holyyyyy shiiiit, MS, glad you're ok! Sounds like you came out of it the best way possible, which is good news.

Ordinarily, I think everyone would like "new car time" to come with less "ow" :-) but I suppose if you're going to do something, don't do it by halves! :-p

Yeah Im very lucky to be alive.

And thats the best way to put it, I never do things by halves

#15 Outcast_Aussie

Outcast_Aussie

Overlord

• Hero
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:45 AM

S2000 ?

#16 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,804 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

I think you maybe a victim of black ice in the road. Good luck with the insurance.

Cortana at your service

#17 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:54 AM

S2000 ?

LOVE THEM, but in QLD, good luck finding one thats not wrecked, for much below $15k.

I got a reply from the guy with the GTiR, It has a RWC and a 100pt safety check.

He's admitted to being a 'car flipper' so he hasn't owned it long.

If he agrees to let me compression test it, and it checks out, it could be super fun.....

And they're only going up in value.

I think you maybe a victim of black ice in the road. Good luck with the insurance.

Hmm, it doesn't need to be super 'cold' for that to be the case does it?

It's the thermal difference between the warm road and cold air, right?

I mean something has to explain it; and it's probably just driver error.

But I remember clearly.

Taking the right hander, feeling the back go sideways, countersteering, not getting any FWD grip, and having the rear push me off the cliff.

It's just hard to figure how you go off the right side of the cliff on a right hand turn.

Mystery I guess.

#18 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

glad you are OK

All the bruises are coming up today. lol, but yeah I'm surviving :)

#19 TheManFromPOST

TheManFromPOST

Not to be trifled with

• Hero
  • 8,499 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:47 AM

ahh, so this has just happened
you will be sore and stiff tommorrow

#20 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,947 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

You don't get ice unless the temperature has been freezing for a decent amount of time.  Black ice is the worst, called that because you don't see it.  In ice you'll almost always get understeer first as a clue that it's around.  Ice can linger if it's in shade or foggy conditions though fog usually means cloud cover and that usually means it stays above freezing.

My guess would be more along the lines of something like a fluid (oily) spill that's unsettled the rear end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users