2 replies to this topic

#1 psychiatrik

psychiatrik

Initiate

• Quark
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:18 PM

Hey guys

I'm contemplating a move into the world of modding but don't really know how to start. What I really want to do is install a window on one side of my Corsair carbide 500r, clean up the mess of cables inside and set up some purty lights but I don't know whether to skill myself up to do it myself or get someone else to do it. Help!

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,957 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

For window hole there's probably 3 main cheap/easy options.

- hand nibbler tool, generally ~ $25 at places like Jaycar.

- combination of drilling and Dremel type grinding wheels.  I actually did this to create a square (ish) hole on a steel cabinet with somewhat thicker sheet than most cases use.  Problem is you'll be eating through about a cent worth of grinding wheel for every few mm.  Cheap Dremel clones can be had around $30-$50.

- drill attached nibbler tool.  I bought one late last year, haven't had proper chance to have a play with it.  Mine came with the extra attachment which allows cutting nice circles.  For one of these you're looking at $60+  There are dedicated electric nibblers you can buy but generally they're for heavy duty sheetwork and are in the $300+ range.  You can also get air tools but again they're more in the imprecise heavy duty area.

For routing cables often the problem is lack of suitable sized gaps and holes.  Also I like to have access to the mounting plate behind the motherboard when using heatsinks that need them, saves having to pull the board out.  To that end, get some step drills.  These days they can be had fairly cheap, under 10 bucks each.

Also a good idea to stock up on various tools like wire strippers, heat glue gun, maybe a cheap tap & die set if you're wanting to create holes that can take a screw.  Jaycar have a good cheap temp adjustable soldering iron too.

#3 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,061 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

Hey guys

I'm contemplating a move into the world of modding but don't really know how to start. What I really want to do is install a window on one side of my Corsair carbide 500r, clean up the mess of cables inside and set up some purty lights but I don't know whether to skill myself up to do it myself or get someone else to do it. Help!

The up side to this project, is that you've chosen the easiest place to start!

First, a Dremel and some cutoff wheels (pay for the reinforced ones, they're only $15 and you'll only use 1).

Trace your window.

Cut the metal.

Put some rubber edge mouldings around the cut (this is crucial, because it means you dont need to be super accuracte, the mouldings hide the cut.

Then silicone a sheet of perspex behind your metal cutout\design.

Done :)

Have a look at MetkuMods for a good list of cheap ideas.

http://metku.net/index.html?sect=mods

There is a job called 'Window' in there with exactly what I just explained, though they use a jigsaw instead of a dremel :)

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users