9 replies to this topic

#1 maccdaddy

maccdaddy

Master

• Atomican
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

Hey guys,

Haven't kept up to date in the computing scene for the last 7 years, but now I'm doing a mATX Ryzen build for myself.

Story time:

I purchased a Gigabyte B350M D3H board for this build on super special, initially unaware of the need to update the bios to support the Ryzen 5 1600 CPU. I also purchased my RAM based on the support list for this board.

In hindsight I should have bench tested everything first, but I was too keen and built everything only to have it fail to post. Obviously this was due to the need to flash the bios.

Using a Ryzen 7 CPU I fired it up only to have it fail to post again. Changed out RAM, same result. Removed RAM completely, still no error code beeps.

I concluded that the motherboard is DOA so I'm back in the market for a replacement board.

This time around money is no object since it has cost me more by simply not having the computer available to work from..

As mentioned the CPU is a AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and the RAM I plan on using is Kingston HyperX 2600mhz HX426C15FBK2/8.

Requirements are really only NVMe, single discrete graphics card will be used. 

The three boards I think that my shortlist should consist of are:

- ASRock AB350M Pro4

-Asus Prime B350M-A

-MSI B350M BAZOOKA

Any board that requires a bios update to support the CPU has already been discussed with the shop to have it updated before being supplied to me.

I can't stand RGB lighting or other gimmicks.

Any assistance with my decision would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Ryzen 5 1600 : B350 : 8G HyperX 2600C15 : Jonsbo RM3 Sound Dampened : Noctua D15s

#2 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

AM4 is an entire new platform, I can't see how any CPU so far released shouldn't work with the earliest Bios incarnations.

The updates are generally incremental improvements to improve stability, better memory speed etc etc.

#3 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:56 PM

Yeah I've had a few DOA boards from Gigabyte in the past. I've never trusted them after that.

MSI has always served me well... they live a long time but can be quirky. ASRock make generally dependable stuff and I've had good experiences... but they're much of a muchness.

What about this white MSI board? It has DisplayPort and USB Type-C

If small is your thing... Gigabyte do an ITX AM4 board... it's tiny!!!

AM4 is an entire new platform, I can't see how any CPU so far released shouldn't work with the earliest Bios incarnations.

The updates are generally incremental improvements to improve stability, better memory speed etc etc.

I agree. Board was likely DOA.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#4 maccdaddy

maccdaddy

Master

• Atomican
  • 823 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

Logically one would think this is the case, but it is not. Ryzen 7 was released first so it is fully supported. When Ryzen 5 CPU's were released the many AM4 motherboards did not recognize the processors presence at all (my choice included).

Sceptre, I was looking at that board, and I'd be happy with it, it simply seems to have a few features that the BAZOOKA doesn't. As for display port, Ryzen 5 doesn't support integrated graphics (I don't think), USB-C would be nice. The optical out is redundant when digital audio can be sent via USB, and the second PCIe slot will never get used.

Edit: Speeling

Edited by maccdaddy, 28 July 2017 - 12:41 PM.

Ryzen 5 1600 : B350 : 8G HyperX 2600C15 : Jonsbo RM3 Sound Dampened : Noctua D15s

#5 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Asrock, ANY day of the week.

I will NOT use Gigabyte motherboards, I've had a more than 70% failure rate on arrival in the past, spread over a 5 year period.

Not Interested in them anymore.

Asrock however, are both cheapest, and I've never seen a fault.... I build a lot of PC's.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#6 maccdaddy

maccdaddy

Master

• Atomican
  • 823 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Thanks for that, Scythe.

Any thoughts on the MSI boards? Or just keep it simple and go the ASRock?

#7 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for that, Scythe.

Any thoughts on the MSI boards? Or just keep it simple and go the ASRock?

In all honesty, i chose my horse, backed it since day 1, and never looked back.

Asrock were the first company to mix DDR and RD ram on the same board.

Hell, they had a dual socket AMD\Intel board at some point.

And they always seemed "Too Cheap", but I took the risk, and it paid off; all the way back in about 2003.

Never had a fault, so I've never needed to go anywhere else.

Been using them (and rarely, Asus) exclusively since.

Same sort of story applies to TPlink :)

Edited by Master_Scythe, 28 July 2017 - 12:55 PM.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#8 maccdaddy

maccdaddy

Master

• Atomican
  • 823 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:58 PM

I respect that.

Thanks again guys, will keep you posted (pun intended) with how the new board choice goes. 

#9 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:49 PM

Sceptre, I was looking at that board, and I'd be happy with it, it simply seems to have a few features that the BAZOOKA doesn't. As for display port, Ryzen 5 doesn't support integrated graphics (I don't think), USB-C would be nice. The optical out is redundant when digital audio can be sent via USB, and the second PCIe slot will never get used.

Well it leaves the option open for an APU coming in the later half of this year should you wish to change to one of them... or upgrade the board later and use an APU for an HTPC system or something.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#10 RenascentMisanthropy

RenascentMisanthropy

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,692 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

My next board will be an MSI, just because I've never had one before and it looks like they've really lifted their game in recent years.

Slycake i7 6700 + cyrorig r1 ultimate, asus z170m-plus, 16gb corsair 3200, evga gtx 970 4gb, 256gb m2 sammy pro, 1tb sshd, corsair cs650m.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: motherboard, Ryzen, Ryzen 5, matx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users