Photo

Windows 10 Pro crash - BSOD DPC - suddenly and consistently after months of being stable

Ponder what has changed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

This is irrating.  I haven't changed anything on my main PC for ages.  Now suddenly since yesterday I am getting BSOD multiple times per day - usually saying DPC failed occasionally on boot splash screen saying Kernal switch mode exception.

As far as I am aware all my drivers are totally up to date.  Windows integrity scan elevated sfc /scannow returns no errors.  But if I go away and leave my PC for 20 - 30 minutes a crash DPC is almost certain to happen.  I haven't chnaged my power settings in ages.  My main UPS just had new batteries installed and seems rock solid.  Windows last did a major update about 1-2 weeks ago.

Any suggestion greatly appreciated!

Talent + Integrity = Atomic!

#2 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:20 PM

G'day... do you have the error code for that?

RIG: Phenom II X2 550 @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#3 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,072 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:56 PM

Tested your disks/ram lately?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#4 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,827 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:59 PM

Win10 Pro here too on my MBP.

A quick search, seems it's been an issue around a while.  But I do suspect it's likely not a single problem else would have been cured ages ago.  Can be related to storage drivers, AHCI and the like.

One plausible hit http://www.thewindow...n-in-windows-10

I'd suggest check the Bios settings relating to HDDs, AHCI mode etc.  Maybe try what's suggested in the link.  Do a Windows Update.

#5 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,827 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:32 AM

Well this is great... run update and restart on mine, first update in little over a week.  Been sitting at the "Getting Windows Ready" before restart message for nearly 15 minutes.

#6 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:10 AM

Windows is fully up to date according to WIndows Update.  In the last week four patches were applied - two security and two for adobe.  ACHI hasn't changed on my motherboard as enabled for well over two years - I simply don't go into the BIOS ever.  Two days ago I did a Windows startup recovery option - full memory test - no errors shown. 

I have run disk checks on all 4 SSDs and 6 HDDs - all come back as ok...  I also did a WIndows update check on all device drivers for all disks - it said the latest drivers were already installed.  Machine has been rock solid for years and suddenly its incredibly flakey!

Edited by g__day, 12 August 2017 - 02:13 AM.

#7 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,373 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:00 AM

Try turning off fast startup and hibernate.

https://www.tenforum...ndows-10-a.html

I was having weird BSOD issues with Win10 on my PC until I turned it off. With mine it seemed to be related to my HDD docking bay.

If I shut down with a HDD in the bay, removed the drive then booted windows it would eventually chuck a spaz.

I think this is because the hibernate file is used for the fast boot and this file contains info about what drives where connected at shutdown. Removing the drive and booting meant windows could not find the drive and got all sulky about it.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

#8 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 13,676 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:27 AM

You added any new devices recently?
Sometimes its a dodgy driver associates with a new device.

Cortana at your service

#9 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

If you go through the logs in event viewer, you can find the error description and we can try and narrow it down.

Alternatively... BlueScreenView is a free app for extrapolating BSOD error information

http://www.majorgeek...screenview.html

RIG: Phenom II X2 550 @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | Radeon HD6450 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#10 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,827 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

I agree with what AliAli suggested - found it myself but was too busy resolving the update issue and forgot to post it.

Can't hurt anything, easily reversed so worth a try.

#11 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

I haven't found anything suspicious in the event logs yet - which is annoying.  And have just turned off fast start and will reboot now.

One thing that does seem to make the event happen a lot - walk away for the PC for 10 - 15 minutes and let it go into a different power state / more - so I guess that is an area to look into!

#12 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

Sigh - walked away for 5 mins - BSOD Deferred Procedure Call - rebooted - Kernel exception on WIndows SPlash screen before I went to select user to log in.  Next attempt started fine.  Event logs:

Session "P2PLog" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188

and earlier

Session "ReadyBoot" stopped due to the following error: 0xC0000188 ( so just upped the data collector file size from 20MB to 128MB)

Edited by g__day, 12 August 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#13 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,827 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

Have to wonder what's going on in those companies... probably come down to being a toxic update item.  Though you generally hear about those fairly quickly.

#14 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:07 AM

Seems to be - still trying things and going thru event logs.  The behaviour seems to be if there is no keyboard activity / or no movie or game playing for about 3 minutes - Whammo - DPC crash.  So something must be on an inactivity timer (presumably under Power settings - and it calls something possibly corrupted and Kerblamis my guess).

And there in the Log file is A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the Mezzmo service to connect.  Now Mezzmo is a Media player - which I normally rarely run - no idea why something has set a 30 second timeout on this service or if its just a smoke screen.  Another lead to trace down...

Also I see under Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> .Net framework advice from folks saying to disable disable .NET Framework NGEN v4.30319 64 Critical

Also folk say to permanenetly turn off WIndows Defender - which even if set off in Setting Security - can still turn back on - so activiate the security policy that turns WIndows Defender off.

https://www.ghacks.n...10-permanently/

Edited by g__day, 13 August 2017 - 01:33 AM.

#15 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,827 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:24 AM

Might be Windows Search (what Indexing Service is now called).  I just disable it, PITA having disk access going on so much for the little benefit it seems to bring.

You can disable that in the Computer Management -> Services panel.

It might be worthwhile firing up the activity monitor and select the disk tab.  Maybe you'll get a glimpse of suspects before it Bsods.

I used Mezzmo for a while - it used to be really good in that it just used the windows directory info but they changed it to be like most other media servers, as in it'll annoyingly scan through the libraries you define to it and create it's own database of your media files.  Often they also run as a service so will be activated any time changes occur to a file.  I now use Serviio - the annoyance with it being that as soon as a file is created, moved, renamed within my video libary it scans through it to update it's metadata which prevents me doing anything for it for a little while.

#16 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,848 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Will try that next.  Just turned caching off on the SSDs - that's just a shot in the dark,

If I can't debug it I might try to evade it.  Maybe a program I hear like move mouse might trick WIndows into never going into BSOD mode if it never thinks its idle?

#17 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 34,827 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

If you know the idle interval that the problem occurs at then cross-check with the advanced Power options.  If something's near to that value, might be the culprit.

#18 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:24 PM

You've probably done a fair bit of googling already. Did you catch this though?

https://www.windows1...r-problem.7893/

Edited by SceptreCore, 14 August 2017 - 12:19 AM.

#19 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,072 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

Try https://www.windows1...r-problem.7893/

:D

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#20 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:16 AM

What are you talkin' about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users