Photo

Windows 10 Pro crash - BSOD DPC - suddenly and consistently after months of being stable

Ponder what has changed

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

Will try that next.  Just turned caching off on the SSDs - that's just a shot in the dark,

If I can't debug it I might try to evade it.  Maybe a program I hear like move mouse might trick WIndows into never going into BSOD mode if it never thinks its idle?

If you think it's a power related thing, a lot of event timers and such are reliant on monitoring C states.

See if you can turn off some of the more 'agressive' C states in the BIOS and see if it continues to offend.

Tons of devices wont 'sleep' unless the computer is low C

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Well I have turned off the disk caches - left Movemouse running plus a small 1 minute video looping on a minimised Windows Media Player - no crashes in a day - so one of these three helps matters.  I will turn off Movemouse and see what occurs.

I already had the ReadyBoost data set increased from 20MB to 130MB - just put it up to 200MB for good measure.

Thanks all - detective work continues!

Talent + Integrity = Atomic!

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

What sort of device is Readyboost using?  Personally I don't see much point in using it at all in these days of fast SSDs and cheap, plentiful Ram.

#24 g__day

g__day

Champion

• Hero
  • 7,885 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

No idea either!  BTW - stopped Move mouse and then Windows Media player and no crashes!  So some change in the WIndows Update (possibly Anniversary edition) appears to really not like to have any caching enabled on SSDs.

I have four SSDs in this machine - so next I may try and selective turn it one to see if I can find one that make it crash and figure out why it does this.  As far as I am aware each SSD has the latest firmware applied.

Talent + Integrity = Atomic!

#25 aliali

aliali

Titan

• Super Hero
  • 24,411 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:59 AM

What sort of device is Readyboost using?  Personally I don't see much point in using it at all in these days of fast SSDs and cheap, plentiful Ram.

No idea either!  BTW - stopped Move mouse and then Windows Media player and no crashes!  So some change in the WIndows Update (possibly Anniversary edition) appears to really not like to have any caching enabled on SSDs.

I have four SSDs in this machine - so next I may try and selective turn it one to see if I can find one that make it crash and figure out why it does this.  As far as I am aware each SSD has the latest firmware applied.

It's probably using one of the other SSDs. Turn it off as it is totally pointless if you have an SSD boot drive.

Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles and miles of files pretty files of your forefather's fruit,

and now to suit our great computer. You're magnetic ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users