#41 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 10:52 AM

https://www.anandtec...ee-lake-refresh

Intel’s 8th Generation Processors

The lists we have acquired starts with mobile processors. The key headline here is that Intel will be introducing the Core i9 brand to the mobile space, with one overclockable processor for now.

What our sources do confirm is that all the i7-H and i7-HK processors will be based on Coffee Lake-H hardware, rather than Kaby Lake Refresh. This might be due to the 45W nature of the processors, and it is expected that the i3/i5/i7 naming will follow desktop Coffee Lake core counts, namely that Core i3 will be quad-core, Core i5 will be six-core and Core i7 parts will be six-core with hyperthreading. A Core i9 part in this context is undefined, but I expect it just to be an additional qualifier for a Core i7 mobile processor that is overclockable (hence it’s called an HK).

Intel’s 9th Generation Processors: Coffee Lake Refresh?

So here comes the big unknown. There was no doubt that after the 8th generation there would be a 9th generation, but what exactly it could contain is a mystery. After Coffee Lake, built on Intel’s 14++ process, Intel has announced that the next major platform would be 10+ rather than 10, and they would be limiting 10nm to smaller mobile dies until the process matures. After Coffee Lake-S is supposed to be Ice Lake, speaking in Intel’s Lake cadence, as announced previously. Most arrows we know about point to 10+ being further off from consumer launch, so that offers two potentials here. The 9000 series processors could be a refresh of Coffee Lake, with some additional features, making it the second set of 14++ processors. Or it could be the names of the 10+ parts. Speculation at this point, for sure.

Edited by SceptreCore, 25 November 2017 - 10:56 AM.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#42 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,322 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

This seems like a long time on the same basic architecture. If they're having issues with manufacturing quality, it also seems like it'd be a good time to get a lot of work done on the replacement architecture.

Or at this point are 8/9/10th gen different enough to first gen core, that it's really just branding?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#43 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 26 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

This seems like a long time on the same basic architecture. If they're having issues with manufacturing quality, it also seems like it'd be a good time to get a lot of work done on the replacement architecture.

Or at this point are 8/9/10th gen different enough to first gen core, that it's really just branding?

The increase in performance really has been just marginal, especially from Haswell. Sandy Bridge was a significant step forward. 

I think Intel really kinda dropped the ball here. Complacency sets in easily there... they felt comfortable enough with no competition to string out the generations and processes. But they really should have launched 10nm and worked on improving it more years ago, but they probably wanted to stretch the road map out as they see nodes coming to a halt, and maintain marketplace control.

Then AMD gets Jim Keller back... he gets them to long jump back in the race, and set them on an aggressive upgrade path. It's all good for the consumer.

GF is confident in 7nm, and that's really gonna put the pressure on.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#44 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 04:30 PM

https://videocardz.c...intel-i9-series

"You heard that right, according to the AIDA64 changelog the i9 series are coming to notebooks.

The latest beta of AIDA64 Extreme apparently can identify yet unreleased i7 and i9-8000H series processors. Just three months ago CoffeeLake H series featuring 6-core and 12 thread processors were leaked through Geekbench database, so we know they are coming, we just don’t know when. We also didn’t know about the mobile i9 series.

In fact, changelog even lists Core i9-8950HK processor, which may be the Intel’s flagship mobile processor.

Interestingly the list also features desktop processors such as i3-9300, i5-9400, i5-9400T, i5-9600 and i5-9600K. Isn’t it too early for i5-8600K replacement?

Update: We were told that the SKU names listed in the changelog were defined by Intel themselves. It does not mean they are coming soon, but Intel usually does not list them so early."

AIDA64-Intel-i9-series.png

https://wccftech.com...-threads-rumor/

"Based on the recent Intel leaks, Chinese sources are further reporting through information acquired from motherboard makers in Taiwan that Intel’s next generation, 9th generation flagship will pack more cores than the current fastest mainstream processor.

Intel’s Core i7-9700K 9th Generation Flagship To Feature 8 Cores, 16 Threads – Core i5 and Core i3 Get Upgrades Too

There was no doubt that Intel’s 9th generation mainstream processors weren’t going to receive a core bump in the coming year. There were leaked slides already hinting that and next year means Intel will be getting enough time to tweak their process and architecture design to accommodate more cores.

Straight from HKEPC, who were able to get information out of Taiwan motherboard makers, it has been rumored that the 9th generation flagship which will be known as the Intel Core i7-9700K, will pack 8 cores and 16 threads. There’s no mention of what process technology the new processors will be utilizing but I believe it’s an updated version of the current 14nm++ process. 

According to the same source, Intel’s next generation Core i5 chips will be packing a 6 core and 12 thread design. Currently, all Intel Core i5 series chips come with 6 cores and 6 threads while the i7 lineup features 6 cores and 12 threads. The Core i3 series on the other hand will be getting multi-threading support too which means we are looking at 4 cores and 8 threads compared to 4 cores and 4 threads that are available on Coffee Lake Core i3 chips right now."

Coffee Lake just launched and it's successor is already being outed? Will it be Coffee Lake Refresh? I seriously cannot keep up with all the things Intel does. Clearly they don't want to be behind again when Ryzen 2 launches. Would still be on Kaby Lake were it not for Ryzen. Also, anyone who invested in a Z370 motherboard... that board just became mainstream as the Z390 chipset will be the only one to support 8 core variants, or what will become the top end i7. I would be pretty annoyed 

However...

The usual salt required with Wccftech. (Why didn't Intel ever do a Salt Lake?.... hmmm)

Edited by SceptreCore, 28 November 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#45 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

RedGamingTech video - Intel Cascade Lake-X Coming In 2018 | Coffee Lake Refresh In April? | Z170 & Coffee Lake Works!

So we could see three new lakes from Intel in 2018 alone. I give up.

#46 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:36 PM

https://hothardware....h-mobile-review

New laptop CPUs 8 gen Kaby Lake R

Means my 7700HQ isn't that different

All donations in crypto-currency accepted except in TrumpCoin.

#47 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

What was the point of the MX150 results without an equal offering from the previous gen?

#48 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

Another Lake!

Whiskey Lake

"Intel Whiskey Lake is a codename for upcoming Intel chips that will be replacing Intel Kaby Lake refresh chips. While there is little that we know about these upcoming CPU we are going to tell you all that we currently know about Intel Whiskey Lake and what has been rumored and speculated regarding these processors.

Kaby Lake CPUs featured 2 cores but the refresh features 4 rather than 2 which means additional performance and more multi-threaded performance. These chips are meant for notebooks as are the upcoming Intel Whiskey Lake CPUs. Intel has been the dominating force in the market for some time but much has changed since AMD Ryzen came out and Intel now has to introduce new products in order to keep up.

According to the leak, Intel Whiskey Lake will be coming out in the second half of 2018. What we know from the leak is that Intel Whiskey Lake will feature 6 cores in total, 2 cores will be CPU cores while 2 additional graphics cores will also be present."

#49 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:51 AM

Whiskey Lake might be the ones with AMD APUs. I have a GTX1060 so it's not really something I'm interested in.

Edited by Jeruselem, 29 December 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#50 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,224 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 11:36 AM

It'd be good that instead of trying to cover every speed/price base that they made the GPU an opt-out component that would mean the thing was either cheaper or came with more L2 cache.

#51 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

Whiskey Lake might be the ones with AMD APUs. I have a GTX1060 so it's not really something I'm interested in.

Yes I didn't think of that.

#52 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Massive security flaw found in Intel CPUs, patch could hit performance by up to 30%

Almost every Intel processor manufactured over the last decade contains a major security flaw that could be exploited in severe attacks. If that isn’t bad enough, patching the issue might slow down the performance of a CPU by up to 35 percent.

The exact details of the vulnerability have been placed under an embargo to give Intel time to work on a fix. According to The Register, the flaw could allow normal user programs to see some of the content of protected kernel memory areas, which means any malicious programs might be able to read information like passwords, login keys, files cached from disk, and more.

“Imagine a piece of JavaScript running in a browser, or malicious software running on a shared public cloud server, able to sniff sensitive kernel-protected data,” wrote The Register.

As the problem is within the Intel x86-64 hardware, it can’t be fixed with a microcode update; instead, an OS-level fix is required for the affected operating systems, which includes Windows, Linux, and macOS.

The immediate solution comes in the form of a kernel Page Table Isolation (PTI), which separates the kernel’s memory from user processes. But this solution increases the kernel’s overhead, causing the system to slow down by five to 30 percent, “depending on the task and processor model.”

These KPTI [Kernel Page Table Isolation] patches move the kernel into a completely separate address space, so it’s not just invisible to a running process, it’s not even there at all. Really, this shouldn’t be needed, but clearly there is a flaw in Intel’s silicon that allows kernel access protections to be bypassed in some way.

The downside to this separation is that it is relatively expensive, time wise, to keep switching between two separate address spaces for every system call and for every interrupt from the hardware. These context switches do not happen instantly, and they force the processor to dump cached data and reload information from memory. This increases the kernel’s overhead, and slows down the computer.

Your Intel-powered machine will run slower as a result.It seems companies that use virtualized environments are the biggest targets for those looking to exploit the vulnerability. "There are hints the attack impacts common virtualization environments including Amazon EC2 and Google Compute Engine,” wrote Python Sweetness. Microsoft, Amazon, and Google are all working on fixes set to be implemented over the next week.

For everyday users, it's possible the patches won’t have much of an impact on everyday usage and gaming frame rates. Additionally, future fixes should have less of an effect on performance.

Intel rival AMD has already used the vulnerability as a way of promoting its processors, which it says aren’t affected due to their extra security protections.

“AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against,” wrote Thomas Lendacky, a member of the Linux OS group at AMD. “The AMD microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a page fault.”

So the huge security flaw in the IME and their processors too. That's a disaster from the world's leading supplier of PC and Server processing units. And with the performance hit.. Ryzen looks even better.

#53 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:30 PM

Intel Says Major Security Bug Also Affects Competitors ARM and AMD

#54 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:05 PM

Seems like it doesn't really affect desktop performance... more than likely will hit server performance.

#55 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Apparently if you have a skylake or newer, you wouldn't notice. Older intel would be ones seeing the difference.

#56 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

For desktop you mean? Because server will definitely see a hit.

#57 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,280 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

I don't know about servers, but desktop is that case. Microsoft have patched Windows 10 now, just get the new windows update.

I haven't seen any difference on my laptop.

#58 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 9,902 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:26 PM

Apparently storage intensive IO tasks is where the hurt is being felt. Good news for AMd on the Server side of things I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users