Photo

Chinese market phones.. are these a bargain?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Trouble with a lot of ROMs on local telco phones, those are like special roms for that telco and Optus/Telstra/Voda don't have those publicly available for download.

If it can be rooted, first thing people usually do is copy the modem file off, and flash to a 'stock rom'.

I didnt even need to do any modem trickery for the Oppo.

Just flashed the manufacturers optional 'vanilla' rom.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#22 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

Apparently Xiaomi lock the bootloaders on their phones.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#23 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

Apparently Xiaomi lock the bootloaders on their phones.

Yep, but they unlock them for free also

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#24 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,390 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:46 PM

Isn't unlocking the bootloader a relatively simple thing to do, yourself? Even if it means wiping the phone?
"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#25 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

Isn't unlocking the bootloader a relatively simple thing to do, yourself? Even if it means wiping the phone?

No, unfortunately.

Since the bootloader is effectively the BIOS of the ROM, its handled a little differently.

In PC terms, think of it as trying to flash some firmware, by formatting your hard drive.

And when you DO eventually flash that firmware, if you've picked one that doesn't quite know how to talk to the controller, then it's a brick.

#26 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

No, unfortunately.

Since the bootloader is effectively the BIOS of the ROM, its handled a little differently.

In PC terms, think of it as trying to flash some firmware, by formatting your hard drive.

And when you DO eventually flash that firmware, if you've picked one that doesn't quite know how to talk to the controller, then it's a brick.

That's what I'm concerned about, bricking $500. I'm also concerned that the Honor V9 doesn't cover all the 4G bands used by Telstra.

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#27 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

Yeah when there's a good range of Chinese phones available locally (notably the OPPO series, and a few Huawei); I wouldn't gamble $500.

but if it was the sort of decision a lot of people make "iPhone or China Phone X" well, you can afford to brick it thrice before you cover the cost

#28 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

Yeah when there's a good range of Chinese phones available locally (notably the OPPO series, and a few Huawei); I wouldn't gamble $500.

but if it was the sort of decision a lot of people make "iPhone or China Phone X" well, you can afford to brick it thrice before you cover the cost

If I had a disposable income I'd probably be doing it as a service (provided it were legal of course)

RIG: Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 990FXA GD-80 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 | MSI Radeon R7 370 | Patriot Pyro SSD 120GB SATAIII | 500GB + 1TB Barracuda's | LG GH22NS70 DVD-RW | Xigmatek Red Scorpion | Corsair HX650W | CM690

#29 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:35 PM

In the USA, user modifying the firmware on a phone was technically illegal but I think that's changed now. Apple opposed that but anyway.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#30 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:47 PM

In the USA, user modifying the firmware on a phone was technically illegal but I think that's changed now. Apple opposed that but anyway.

It's just really annoying that Huawei offer such a budget powerhouse of a phone... and not in Australia... ugh.

First world problems!

#31 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

It's just really annoying that Huawei offer such a budget powerhouse of a phone... and not in Australia... ugh.

First world problems!

Yes we get the "budget" Huaweis but not the ones we want.

#32 littlejacket92

littlejacket92

Learner

• Quark
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:58 PM

For chinese market Phone, I heard my friend that xiaomi is good for strong pin. They can use it for a weed, and don't need to worry about pin anymore. Do you know this phone? It's 5 years old in Aliexpress. I think this phone can be good. Although its camera is not good enough.

Sleep all day here: https://savvycomsoftware.com/

#33 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

That's pretty normal. Those Chinese phones have good specs but they shove in some barely adequate camera.

#34 SceptreCore

SceptreCore

Guru

• Atomican
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:04 PM

That's pretty normal. Those Chinese phones have good specs but they shove in some barely adequate camera.

The Honor V9/8 Pro has great dual cameras

#35 SquallStrife

SquallStrife

Really knows where his towel is

• Atomican
  • 18,023 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

The amount of phone you get for your dollar right now is ridiculous.

I lost my iPhone 7 Plus in a car-related incident, so had to pick up something cheap to tide me over til my contract finishes.

I've ended up with a Nokia 3, $149 network-locked from Vodafone.

Cameras are "only" 8MP, but the front and back cameras are the same, and Nokia don't use EMUI/Sense/etc, the included launcher is the Pixel launcher. The only carrier-loaded software is the My Vodafone app, and I'm free to uninstall it.
SyDjDDk.png [retro swim] | AzpUvwG.png @retroswimau | q5O6HgO.png +RetroSwim
四時半を待っています!

#36 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

The amount of phone you get for your dollar right now is ridiculous.

I lost my iPhone 7 Plus in a car-related incident, so had to pick up something cheap to tide me over til my contract finishes.

I've ended up with a Nokia 3, $149 network-locked from Vodafone.

Cameras are "only" 8MP, but the front and back cameras are the same, and Nokia don't use EMUI/Sense/etc, the included launcher is the Pixel launcher. The only carrier-loaded software is the My Vodafone app, and I'm free to uninstall it.

Vodafone don't seem to totally fuck up their phones with a lot of crapware. Optus and Telstra, yes especially Telstra!

I'm waiting for the successor fo the Nokia 8.

Edited by Jeruselem, 26 January 2018 - 03:19 PM.

#37 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,756 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:22 PM

Annoyingly a lot of them even change the startup logo animation, not that you see it more than once a month or whatever.

I don't see the point spending lots on a phone given that OS support often lasts barely 2 years.  Though on my 3rd Android phone now, with about 3 years + 2 years on the previous ones.

#38 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,907 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 03:45 PM

Annoyingly a lot of them even change the startup logo animation, not that you see it more than once a month or whatever.

I don't see the point spending lots on a phone given that OS support often lasts barely 2 years.  Though on my 3rd Android phone now, with about 3 years + 2 years on the previous ones.

I'm still using my Nokia 830 and yes Microsoft still give me updates on Windows 10 mobile.

#39 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,756 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 04:16 PM

I considered a Windoze phone but lack of apps/games vs Android plus the fact Metro looks like a turd turned me off.

#40 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,553 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:46 PM

I now have 5 mates who all have various Xaiomi phones.

0 complaints

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users