Photo

Chinese market phones.. are these a bargain?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 26 January 2018 - 07:07 PM

I considered a Windoze phone but lack of apps/games vs Android plus the fact Metro looks like a turd turned me off.

I like Metro, it's more friendly for me because Android and iOS icons can be freaking small. I don't have small fingers like some.

Edited by Jeruselem, 27 January 2018 - 09:34 AM.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

"We have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world" - Putin to Trump

#42 littlejacket92

littlejacket92

Learner

• Quark
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:38 PM

For chinese phone, recently Xiaomi released the xiaomi redmi 5A, anyone here has owned it? because I consider to buy it, but i don't like Chinese brand so much. 

If someone used this phone or bought it, then can you show some strong point for it? Thanks.

Sleep all day here: https://savvycomsoftware.com/

#43 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

For chinese phone, recently Xiaomi released the xiaomi redmi 5A, anyone here has owned it? because I consider to buy it, but i don't like Chinese brand so much. 

If someone used this phone or bought it, then can you show some strong point for it? Thanks.

That phone looks like it would be a good candidate for my use case. Nice big 3000mah battery, and a 'low end' (meaning, low power use) CPU, that is fast enough to do at least one major task at once.

Considering I use a phone for Communication (messages, phone calls, forums, etc) and I don't use things like snapchat with complex filters, photo editing, or anything like that, i'm sure I'd be able to use it without ever feeling any lag.

While no one I know has that specific phone, two mates have Xiaomi phones.

One has a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, and the other, a Note 4.

In all honesty, we can't fault them.

They're quick, they're stable, they take great photos, the IPS screen has good angles and coulors... I mean, it's an Android Phone, it can do everything you expect of it.

They were very 'anti china phones' for a while, but after using one, $200 vs $1500 for a 'samsung'? It was a pretty easy choice.

About the only thing the media likes to mention is that china phones can have spyware on them;

however (I work with a Chinese Colleague) and he was explaining Xiaomi, like Huawei are relying on going Global to expand their business.

After seeing how badly the brand OnePlus got attacked from their OWN spyware (not even 3rd party!) it'd be a nightmare to the company to risk that sort of underhanded trick.

Since the OnePLUS fiasco, everyone has been packet capturing their phones like mad, and no major leaks have been found in those china phones (yet).

If you're worried, just be sure to flash the OFFICAL rom to the phone the second you get it, and I'd rest easy :)

Xiaomi does some really neat stuff, especially if you go into the Mi Home type products also.

And, really, as Australians (I know you're not) for us, we don't care if China spies on us much :P

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#44 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

Be careful of super cheap phones which are funded by you having to watch ads as part of the sale meaning there is ads/spyware preloaded.

“We’re not going to stop the wheel. I’m going to break the wheel.” - Daenerys Targaryen

#45 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:54 PM

Be careful of super cheap phones which are funded by you having to watch ads as part of the sale meaning there is ads/spyware preloaded.

To my knowledge, in the INTERNATIONAL (or Taiwan) versions (can't speak for the domestic China ones), Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei haven't been known to do this.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#46 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

To my knowledge, in the INTERNATIONAL (or Taiwan) versions (can't speak for the domestic China ones), Oppo, Xiaomi, and Huawei haven't been known to do this.

I've seen those on Amazon, and applies to tablets. I think the big brands wouldn't do it because of the past scandals.

#47 littlejacket92

littlejacket92

Learner

• Quark
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:13 PM

That phone looks like it would be a good candidate for my use case. Nice big 3000mah battery, and a 'low end' (meaning, low power use) CPU, that is fast enough to do at least one major task at once.

Considering I use a phone for Communication (messages, phone calls, forums, etc) and I don't use things like snapchat with complex filters, photo editing, or anything like that, i'm sure I'd be able to use it without ever feeling any lag.

They're quick, they're stable, they take great photos, the IPS screen has good angles and coulors... I mean, it's an Android Phone, it can do everything you expect of it.

They were very 'anti china phones' for a while, but after using one, $200 vs $1500 for a 'samsung'? It was a pretty easy choice.

About the only thing the media likes to mention is that china phones can have spyware on them;

however (I work with a Chinese Colleague) and he was explaining Xiaomi, like Huawei are relying on going Global to expand their business.

After seeing how badly the brand OnePlus got attacked from their OWN spyware (not even 3rd party!) it'd be a nightmare to the company to risk that sort of underhanded trick.

Since the OnePLUS fiasco, everyone has been packet capturing their phones like mad, and no major leaks have been found in those china phones (yet).

If you're worried, just be sure to flash the OFFICAL rom to the phone the second you get it, and I'd rest easy :)

Xiaomi does some really neat stuff, especially if you go into the Mi Home type products also.

And, really, as Australians (I know you're not) for us, we don't care if China spies on us much :P

Thanks. As a vietnamese, Chinese isn't always a good neighbor.But as you said, for Xiaomi I trust on them.

I decided to buy this one.

Edited by littlejacket92, 07 February 2018 - 02:19 PM.

Sleep all day here: https://savvycomsoftware.com/

#48 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

Thanks. As a vietnamese, Chinese isn't always a good neighbor.But as you said, for Xiaomi I trust on them.

I decided to buy this one.

It's always interesting when you hear about certain countries hating certain other countries.

It seems common in Asian countries.

In Australia, we have some individual people who dislike certain races, however there's no such thing as "Australia doesn't like X country"

But, yes, Xiaomi doesn't know who's going to buy their phone, so they're not going to go "Vietnamese?! MAKE IT CRAP!" lol

Big company, so hopefully, no problems :)

btw, I'm glad you ended up being a real user and not a spammer, it's always nice to have international members, you learn new things and get new perspectives :)

#49 Chaos.Lady

Chaos.Lady

Goddess

• Mod
  • 79,476 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:11 PM

Ryan has just got himself an Oppo phone (which I'd never really heard of before).

Any hints?

In the light universe I have been darkness. Perhaps in the dark zone I can be light...

Take the boat, promise me 
Never to tell
The secrets you know,
Of the Angel in Hell.

#50 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

Ryan has just got himself an Oppo phone (which I'd never really heard of before).

Any hints?

Chinese brand, One of the biggest sellers in Germany (they have actual OPPO stores).

My father has one too, A++

#51 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

Australia is a bit backward, looks like pretty much iPhone and Samsung as the focus with some Oppos, Huaweis, Nokias as well as crappo Telco branded phones.

#52 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:22 PM

If I had to go a "Known Brand" these days, It'd be the new NOKIAs.

I've seen them in person, and they feel amazing, are about half the price of any other one, and just simply, looked more vibrant and snappy (vanilla android!) than any of the other competitors.

#53 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:40 PM

I think they don't have those weirdass skins Asians tend to install on Asian phones too.

#54 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,537 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:05 PM

I think they don't have those weirdass skins Asians tend to install on Asian phones too.

Yeah was all totally vanilla, software, hardware, just... exactly what it says on the box.

And the fact that I can go somewhere expensive, but big chain (like Harvey Norman) and get one for $600, is only 1/3rd the price of the 'big boys'.

and STILL HAS A MICRO SD SLOT! :D

Only downside is no USB-C, but hey, I'll live.

Edited by Master_Scythe, 09 February 2018 - 03:06 PM.

#55 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Yeah was all totally vanilla, software, hardware, just... exactly what it says on the box.

And the fact that I can go somewhere expensive, but big chain (like Harvey Norman) and get one for $600, is only 1/3rd the price of the 'big boys'.

and STILL HAS A MICRO SD SLOT! :D

Only downside is no USB-C, but hey, I'll live.

USB C would be nice hey

#56 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:07 PM

I've seen those on Amazon, and applies to tablets. I think the big brands wouldn't do it because of the past scandals.

Are you talking about Amazon's own, branded, Fire devices?

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#57 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

Are you talking about Amazon's own, branded, Fire devices?

Not specifically. I've seen cheap phones and tablets on Amazon where one of the conditions of purchase is you are subjected to ads in return for the low price. This is at the real low end of the market.

I don't own an Amazon devices but I'm sure they'll be sneaking their own adware onto their own devices.

#58 Nich...

Nich...

Professional Tart

• Mod
  • 43,388 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:56 PM

'Sneaking their own adware onto their own devices'

It's not sneaking if your devices run a fork of android tailored to both using a separate software store than Play, and running ads on lock screens and etc through your own ad network.

"I think it is a sad reflection on our civilization that while we can and do measure the temperature in the atmosphere of Venus we do not know what goes on inside our soufflés" -- Nicholas Kurti

#59 Jeruselem

Jeruselem

Guru

• Atomican
  • 14,823 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:30 PM

'Sneaking their own adware onto their own devices'

It's not sneaking if your devices run a fork of android tailored to both using a separate software store than Play, and running ads on lock screens and etc through your own ad network.

Yes, forcing you to use fake stores instead of Google one ... very Chinese

#60 Waltish

Waltish

Guru

• Hero
  • 14,236 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:46 PM

I think Honor Is  Sub brand Of Huawei.

My current phone is a Telstra ZTE 4GX Buzz its a Prepay account.

Not a bad phone quite robust been used in rain and dropped a few times

it soldiers on like a champion .

4.5 inch screen Quad 1.2 gig 5 megapixel camera cost about 90 ish bucks.

Been looking at Huawei Y7 prime 2017.

For me the 4,000 MAHh battery, is a key feature.

Its a significant step up in capability and price is just within what I would spend

$249 ish .

https://www.gsmarena..._prime-8632.php

Been Looking at Samsung Galaxy J7 Prime as well they are similar in many ways Including price.

https://www.gsmarena...eviews-8314.php

For now will unlock my old phone while I keep checking out phones between $240 to $300 .

Edited by Waltish, 06 March 2018 - 10:50 PM.

? After All This Time ?

.....<--{ Always }-->

...PSN ID = waltzz22

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users