• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:57 PM

That's an epic build originally, zipties and all!

Perhaps you could get hooked onto a 1050ti and get back to gaming at some decent settings :)

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

#22 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:49 AM

Well, I managed to pick up a GTX 1060 6GB model, for $250 (second hand).

But of a steal, considering the current 'Mining' price ecosystem......

Loaded up some Bioshock Infinite on Ultra with 'Alternate' processing, and wow.... it's gorgeous.

Gonna grab a  copy of PUBG, and Rise of the Tomb Raider next, and see what's up :)

That's an epic build originally, zipties and all!

Perhaps you could get hooked onto a 1050ti and get back to gaming at some decent settings :)

Yeah, I have no idea how those screws actually were so bad.

Must have been a bad batch for them all to snap the head off.

I did the same thing with my new card, without problems this time.

Nipped the screws up as tight as I could to ensure better contact, and for a blower style card, I'm now seeing 78*C maximum :)

Bloody low temp for a blower card (Asus 1060 Turbo).

It's amazing how loose those things ship, every screw on that card got at least another half turn before giving ANY resistance.

I find the same thing on all my hardware though; I got at least a FULL turn on all the cooling on my Motherboard too, before the little springs were even starting to compress.

Interestingly, back in the early Intel days, when I had one of these bad boys:

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813136066

Mine was one of the ONLY boards to not have its VRM's fail under heat load from Overclocking.

I talked to people who had them fail, and yep, all loose heatsinks.

I saw it on mine also, I took the heatsink off to re-paste it, and the heat-pad on the VRM's had almost NO indent at all (one corner didn't have any!)

Looking at the blue locktight on the tiny bolts, I'd guess I got another 2 or 3 full turns out of it, when I reapplied.

Suddenly my own personal VRM temps were down from 89*C to 60*C.... hmm....

I know it's a little off topic, but just a PSA I guess, check your heatsinks are actually tight. Mass production seems to be scared to break them.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#23 Rybags

Rybags

Immortal

• Super Hero
  • 35,059 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:09 AM

Overtight screws might be the problem as well.  And being made of cheap stainless alloy means they're hard and more brittle than normal.

Or maybe some cards just use a faulty design to start with.

Edited by Rybags, 28 August 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#24 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,182 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

Overtight screws might be the problem as well.  And being made of cheap stainless alloy means they're hard and more brittle than normal.

Or maybe some cards just use a faulty design to start with.

I'm not torquing the hell out of them, just tightening them until it actually gives a noticeable amount of resistance; as opposed to feeling loose.

As I said, I've done it on a LOT of devices, and I'm a bit of a DIY mechanic, so I know roughly what force im putting on something.

That old GPU of mine was the cheapest screws I've ever used, pointer finger + thumb strength, from a jewelers screwdriver was enough to snap them.

This ASUS card took a Ph1 screwdriver and tightened down without even blinking.

I guess there might be a reason I don't see PowerColor as a popular brand anymore?

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

#25 Roscosity

Roscosity

Learner

• Quark
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Glad to hear you've got your gaming PC up and running again :)

Roscosity | Gigabyte ANZ Community Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users