3 replies to this topic

#1 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

Purchased the Razer OSVR HDK2 $375

It arrived in the mail today and I must say it crushed my hopes and dreams of VR gaming quite spectacularly.

Dual Display 2160x1200 (1080 X 1200 per eye) low persistence OLED silver screen with 441 PPI running at 90 fps.
IQE (Image Quality Enhancement) technology for reduced screendoor effect. <Fails from what I have read this is just a blur filter...

(Just sent this off to Razer Support)

Display is very pixilated it's like looking through fly wire or at a 27" monitor running 640x480
Tried to play hl2 and l4d2 but its too blurry to read anything and the texture quality is nonexistent

Doesn't fit my face the eye pieces are too narrow they hit my nose so that the zoom slides itself back in from the pressure of resting against my nose putting it back out of focus

My eye lashes rub the lenses making them foggy

Is there any workarounds for these problems?

On the up side i didn't feel any sicker after playing l4d2 with it on than I did before I started which seems to be the main complaint about vr

If the quality was bearable it would be a rather immersive experience so maybe one day vr will be worth a look but at this stage they have a long way to go as my eyes have gotten use to 4k and don't want to go back to vhs

Why VR Image is Bad? Screen Door Effect Coping With PenTile Hybrid Technology

Wonder if I can get my money back

From what i can find the image quality problems are not limited to the Razer VR and while some may be a little better none are acceptable

Edited by Dasa, 22 August 2017 - 10:17 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#2 @~thehung

@~thehung

Guru

• Hero
  • 8,638 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

"screen door effect" is just something you have to live with, but its quite acceptable for gen 1 imo — and when everything else is right (specs/software/ergonomics), it can fade out of your awareness very quickly like the persistent noise of a ticking clock or the low hum of a fridge etc. 

ive used the Vive a fair bit and found that setting the right IPD (horizonatal distance between each lens) is crucial.  when its even subtly off for your eyes it causes the crispness of close imagery in particular to break down.  not sure if you have that option.

also, different games vary in making design choices that are able to diminish the noticeability of the screen door.   the weird thing about VR, apart from needing to mitigate for the fact that even a pixel density of 4K per-eye — when we get it — will not be nearly 'enough', is that there are new constraints in terms of level of detail.  to produce a pleasant experience, there is a need for more constraint in terms of draw distance, subtle depth of field effects, and most of all a LOD which peaks at much closer distances than you would ordinarily render on a monitor.   simpler textures with smooth gradients and objects with slightly chunkier minimum widths seem to work well.  same goes for UI features.  just like we have 10' interfaces for massive TVs, VR requires its own adjustments.

not sure exactly what youre playing, but its worth pointing out that there can be a huge difference between the user experience of something built from the ground up for VR versus something retrofitted via a kludgey tool like VorpX.

Edited by @~thehung, 24 August 2017 - 02:16 AM.

no pung intended

#3 Dasa

Dasa

Guru

• Super Hero
  • 14,868 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

no im afraid it doesn't have any ipd adjustment although there is a utube video of somebody taking to it with a dremel to adjust it

still i think as far as my eyes go its fairly good just a shame it needs to go wider to get past my nose

apparently some have added extra thick padding to it which could help me a bit at least with comfort

from the reading i have been doing a lot of the visible pixels is to do with the display type and the number of sub pixels not just the final resolution so the right display combined with 4k may work out fairly well

but in the mean time yes games with carton textures would look better as the sharpness could be decreased to hide the pixels without losing much quality

im looking at getting elite dangerous since i miss freelancer and its apparently one of the better vr games although distance objects apparently still look like a pixel blob rather than a detailed ship

had a look at war thunder which is the first vr title i have tried that is 3d which was kinda cool

don't have vorpx at this time i have just been using steamvr

edit

tried thicker padding to push it out far enough i get a fair halo like distortion ring near the outer edge but then it gets sharp again at the edge

Edited by Dasa, 24 August 2017 - 12:22 PM.

Silverstone TJ08-EW 6700k@4.7 1.375v - Z170-GENE - 2x8g 3866 16-16-16 - 1070@ 2100\9600MHz  -Samsung 830 64G, Sandisk Ultra II 960G, WD Green 3tb - Seasonic XP1050 - Dell U2713 - Pioneer Todoroki 5.1 Apogee Drive II - EK VGA-HF Supreme  - Phobia 200mm Rad - Silverstone AP181 Project Darkling
3770k vs 6700k RAM Scaling, HT vs RAM, Arma III CPU vs RAM, Thief CPU vs RAM
Parts Guide

#4 Master_Scythe

Master_Scythe

Titan

• Hero
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

I'd love to find one that fits over my glasses.

I don't see the screen door, thanks to my bad eyes. But fitting my eyes and glasses comfortably into any of these things is hard.

Wherever you go in life, watch out for Scythe, the tackling IT support guy.

"I don't care what race you are, not one f*cking bit, if you want to be seen as a good people, you go in there and you f*ck up the people who (unofficially) represent you in a negative light!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users